Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Known] lighting in DR

Discussion in 'Release 39 Bug Forum' started by Chatele, Mar 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

It keeps getting dark and light during the daytime. I notice this happens a lot all around the wolf cave. It gets dark in the day, then light again and dark etc It goes from light to dark and back again with no particular pattern.

Balec Fares deCani likes this.
  2. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

I also noticed it does it at Late night. Seems to happen all over DR

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  3. Serafina

Serafina Portalarian Emeritus

@Chatele We are working on improving the transition between day and night, and the darkness level. Thank you for reporting!

4. Balec Fares deCani

Balec Fares deCani Avatar

Serafina, I don't believe the user is referring to darkness level or transition between day and night, but a constant and very frustrating and unexpected change of lighting levels making it almost total darkness midday as reported earlier by @Raven Swiftbow at the link below. This is also happening to me.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/lighting-deep-ravenswood.78653/

Chatele likes this.
  5. Serafina

@Balec Fares deCani Thanks for clarifying. Unfortunately, we're having a hard time reproducing this internally. We are still working on polishing day to night transitions, so it's possible this could be fixed as a result of that.

Sorry we can't give you a more satisfactory resolution right now. :(

6. Balec Fares deCani

Serafina, I trust the wise judgement of you @Attenwood and the team, but please please please don't take this lightly ;) This is a very serious problem! About 80% of the time when I play, at least in certain scenes, it is like I am wearing a blindfold! :eek: Seriously. It is pitch blank midday, and at all times. Will the day/night polish work be completed in R40? If not when (so we know when to re-report this issue)?

Refer to the video below, taken mid-day, as far from the day/night transition as possible, and these pictures, taken a second apart with no gameplay between them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My friend Slage brought his laptop to help me test, we sat side by side while we played. HE NEVER SAW THE LIGHTING FLUCTUATIONS! So I thought it might be my computer or video settings so we switched computers - I played on his laptop and he played on my desktop. The lighting fluctuations CAME WITH ME to the laptop...and he never saw them on the desktop. This leads me to believe it was not related to video settings or the hardware - it seems to be tied to my character somehow. The screenshots above are from the laptop and the videos below are from my desktop.

Refer to the video below...which makes me think maybe it might be related to my equipment (but there are plenty of occurrences that contradict this, e.g. screenshots above where the lighting just spontaneously went bad while I was buck naked and not changing clothes....and Slage tried on my equipment and still never had any lighting problems)

1:20 i'm hit with a glancing blow - white text and poof, light returns to normal
    1:45 equip PvP deck and poof instantly, lighting dims...then I undress, and at 2:05 and poof light returns to normal.

..then I snipped some footage out, running around naked, the lighting is normal...
    2:50 I re-equip the same PvP deck that seemed to make the lighting bad earlier, and nothing happens, lighting is fine.

Help us @Serafina, you're our only hope!
    (and you too @Attenwood!)

For reference:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8) System RAM: 32706
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti GPU RAM: 3038
    SotA.EarlyAccess.Win.64.572.Date.03.10.17

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4860HQ CPU @ 2.40GHz (8) System RAM: 32718
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M GPU RAM: 4061
    SotA.EarlyAccess.Win.64.572.Date.03.10.17

Area: Deep Ravenswood (HiddenVale_Forest02_Tier5) Loc: (116.3, 28.6, -113.7)

Video settings - problem replicated on Fastest or Beautiful
    1920x1017, 60hz
    All options checked except fullscreen (also tried with depth of field off)
    Shadow distance Maximum or none

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  7. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

the new wolf cave is supposed to adjust the lighting to make it dark and foggy when you enter, and revert to normal once you're out, but sometimes it gets stuck and starts randomly cycling. ...i thought that was fixed already, actually. your friend maybe hadn't gone in/near the cave?

couple of reports from r38, one of which gave it a number

8. Balec Fares deCani

Thanks for the info! I had linked the thread with the bug number (40925) in a reply above, but after that Serafina indicated they were unable to reproduce and maybe it would be fixed by day/night transition polish. Can we get clarification that 40925 is a known issue where entering the wolf cave causes lighting issues for the remainder of your game session? (My friend can be seen standing atop the wolf cave in the screenshot above, but it's likely he didn't enter it).

9. Serafina

@Balec Fares deCani I see it, and I believe you. We believe it is fixed in the current live build. If it happens again on the latest build, try to catch another video of it.

10. Balec Fares deCani

This is still very much broken. New video in R40 bug thread on this topic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.