1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Release 30 Instructions

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, May 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

2. Kensing Ton

Kensing Ton Avatar

<gone...>

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  3. SabeSr

SabeSr Avatar

This is one of the major reasons why a zone based game was a mistake... but what do I know, Dev's know best... If I ever hit lottery I'm hiring a bunch of programmers and taking a couple years to build my own game, one that doesn't do stupid stuff like a zone based game... (make it easy on programmers not players =fail)

4. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

The reason this is a zone based game is not because the devs were stupid, it's because they didn't have the money and the team size to make a huge open world. They very smartly realized that for THIS game, the best model was to have zones because it would allow them to get more out of their money, time, and resources, while still having some benefits that a single open world instance would not. Namely that they would never have to create multiple server shards that split the community (like UO and many other games that came after it), and that players could switch between modes, SPO, Friend Only, and MPO to play the game the way they wanted to.

I agree that if I won the lottery and had millions to spend (beyond the 8.something we have now) I too would prefer a single instance without all the loading screens. But when I look at what Portalarium had to work with I think they made the right choice, a smart choice, for their business and for our game.

Rufus D`Asperdi and Budner like this.
  5. Koveras

Koveras Avatar

No, I mean offline play. :) You know, the mode where it's about adventure, companions, and the story, rather than economics? That one.

Yes, I do mean offline. And there are other ways of preventing the "strongest weapon" syndrome, such as letting the player discover stronger weapons as they progress through the plot. You just don't give the "strongest" weapon to the player right off the bat, and that's it, problem solved. And as for "boring gameplay", I can name dozens of highly engaging games where items do not permanently break down (or at all), like, oh I dunno, Ultima VII??

My gut feeling is much more that the devs are evaluating gameplay features like this one mainly from the MMO perspective, instead of also considering single-player, and the community has long formed an echo chamber around them that unquestioningly welcomes all decisions (seriously, the saccharine positiveness of the update comments on the main site makes me throw up sometimes). As a consequence, online-only features keep creeping into the offline experience, which is one of the recent years' developments that I hoped SotA would avoid. :-/

Sir Frank, Fister Magee and Pickley like this.
  6. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

It's the same world offline as online; where are these plot breaks to hide things behind? Are all of the towns and dungeons going to have the same junk drops until you get far enough down the plot, and then suddenly start having better stuff show up? Doesn't make sense.

7. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Will you do it for $8M? Good luck to you, Sir.

Black Tortoise likes this.
  8. Alton Brown

Alton Brown Avatar

Check out there.com that game cost a fortune but the world was (past tense) zone free and amazing.

9. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

@DarkStarr would it be possible to get a map with with all the PRT's on it separately before July lot selection release? The one posted with each release only has POT's on it.

10. Guido DeVille

Guido DeVille Avatar

Where are the save game files located? I'd like to transfer them from a TimeMachine backup of my Macbook to a desktop running Windows.

In the future, could these be synced via Steam?

I'm sorry if this has been covered somewhere, I've searched the forums and didn't find the answer.

11. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

NM, should read better!...

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  12. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Note that there were compability changes in r38 and r39 so a really old save state wouldn't necessarily function.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...t-change-character-preservation-notice.80925/

I haven't seen anything about a STEAM sync of saves.

The only thing about save game location I found was this.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  13. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

There is no Game button in the options menu. there is only the save game button, and it does not allow you to pick where you want to save the game .....has that option been removed?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.