thoughts on the new serpent spine mine

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dorkish, Mar 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dorkish

dorkish Avatar

well it looks good :) unfortunatly i probably won't be visiting it agine used to be able to just hang around the entrence and mine iron for a few mins log out then log back on a hour or so later to get more iron first time i went into the new mine mining cart threw me off the tracks managed to get down to the floor but the water elementals where even more annoying than archers then i destroyed a barrel went threw the world and died all the while only finding one iron ore node now i have to wait about a month till i can handle spectrel mines to get any iron to continue raising blacksmith skills

uhop, Grimbone, FrostII and 2 others like this.
  2. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

I understand the feeling. DarkStarr mentioned we should have the same number of ore nodes as before. I haven't checked it out yet but I will likely soon. I'm curious if the node respawn can keep up with me since I GM'd survey :D

* shameless plug *
    If you find you are running low. I usually have some iron or copper ingots on my vendors in Etceter. Ore too though that usually goes really really fast! The ingots usually stick around a few days.

I'm behind the crafting pavilion in the Market Square. Next to the Founder/Benefactor crafting stations.

3. dorkish

dorkish Avatar

ya might try latter but i loved the old entrence area you could just come in and mine for a few mins and log off then back on agine latter, now it's a fight to go find some iron nodes there

georgegad and discipleofweb like this.
  4. Innascual Inch

Innascual Inch Avatar

I love the new mine! Lots of neat things to see/do.

I am about lvl 85 and found the mobs to be trivial. Obviously they are challenging at a lower lvl, but they are only in groups of 2 or 3 at most so shouldn't be impossible for lvl 65+

There are a lot of iron nodes, it's just that they are spread out over a large area. In addition to the crystals there are silver nodes and some chests with real loot too!

My only criticism is that it doesn't make sense to me how the mining cart moves endlessly by itself. The mine track in Krull is electrified, but the track in serpent spine mine isn't, so what's making this thing move around?

licemeat and Sentinel2 like this.
  5. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

Ghost of all the miners that died trying to escape the Kobold invasion...

6. Brent S

Brent S Avatar

NOOOO! I've been waiting for the Dorkish brand Meteoric Augmented Plate Leggings to appear on the Owl's Head Public Vendor.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    discipleofweb and dorkish like this.
  7. dorkish

dorkish Avatar

i could probably still make you some Brent but it's harder to get iron now that was one the nice things about the old serpent spine mine you could just hang out at the entrence collect wepons from the kobolds sell them at the blacksmith in britney estates then pop back in to get more ore now it's a long trip to go a another site to get iron ore on the other hand i can get tons of gold ore easy at the elyesium mine entrence little harder to get to the bottom silver part but i can usally manage that

Brent Sasz likes this.
  8. Randbo

Randbo Avatar

just so we are being clear here, ITS NO LONGER A MINE, its an ADVENTURE SCENE NOW.
    they took the mine away and made it fun for adventurers. you would be lucky to get 50 iron ore per hour out of it now. used to get 210 or so per hour before, in the MINE know as serpents spine mine.

its an adventure scene masquerading as a mine. thank got it wasnt elysium, where this scene was originally built for. no more gold mining there.
    i really hope they leave elysium alone. make the other mines the clones.
    the game folks miss the main point about these mines:
    the purpose of a mine in this game is to MINE ORE EFFICIENTLY. thats the whole purpose of it. its not a playground for the adventure kiddies. HOW MANY OTHER ADVENTURE SCENES DO YOU HAVE FOR THE KIDDIES? 200 OR MORE?

the skills are such that we need a large amount of ore to gain metal crafting skills. its a fact that we accept. you are TAKING AWAY our ability to get the ore we need to raise the metal skills.
    this is very unfortunate.
    do us crafters a favor and LEAVE THE MINES ALONE. let us mine our ore in peace. not make us take 4 TIMES LONGER to gain skills and be able to sell higher level crafted gear.

btw, it does look great. a well done scene and can be fun for guild dungeon crawl, so hats off to the designers. its just NO LONGER a mine.

9. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

After I ran out of iron ore nodes, I then got on to the minecart and started killing kobolds until respawn. Rinse and repeat.

Derium and discipleofweb like this.
  10. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

You and your hitler style writing randbo! lol

But yea, i agree with randbo.
    The crafting in this game takes a **** ton of materials. I am all for uncloning of mines, but the need to run it back and forth, killen things a long the way to get a yield of at max 30% of before.. its very annoying.
    I understand there are better spots to mine iron, but should this be the same idea for silver.. suddenly silver prices will sky rocket, and this takes another step away from being casual player friendly.

I would hope in elyssiums case if they are going to make it an adventure scene, they aim for alike an *end room goal* where you can at least get to that gives you a realistic amount of ore. Otherwise crafting suddenly become 100% more of a pain that it already is, and this makes people say screw it, and play in cloth / leather.

I really, really dont see the end game PORT is going for between crafting/adventure, and im not sure how eliminating the ability to mine efficiently fits in, other then adding more of a grief/grind push in crafting than it already is. But yea, im a fan of the scene, not of the hit against crafting in the unclone. It would be interesting to get an insight into their longer term plans when it comes to this, before they do it to one of the only supplies of silver in the game.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
    uhop, Malimn, Hornpipe and 5 others like this.
  11. dorkish

dorkish Avatar

yep hopefully they can least leave the entrences alone so we can have areas to concentrate on mining with serpent spine it was the perfect place to get iron ore easy which is the main crafting metal at a decent adventure lev about 55 to 65 at the entrence i can sort handle spectrel mines but it's hard it's more like a lev 70 mine for elyssium i'd hope that they would leave the entrence alone for gold and maybe move the bottom silver room up to one side then ad the changes below all that so crafters wouldn't loose easy access to the two most criticle ore in the game gold and silver

and on the subject of ore can you possably make copper ore worth something right now it's only good use is making copper daggers to raise blacksmithing skill maybe need it to craft some those new kobold weapons ( maybe some kind of armor too ) that use electricity that would make sense :)

Sway likes this.
  12. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

Its all pretty and such but i am not a big fan. Finally found a mine i can fairly manage myself....and trying to find the passage to Graff in there is insane. Not even sure if it all works the same way either. So no idea if the tunnel areas have been changed.

13. Sway

Sway Avatar

serpent spine mine looks great, very pleasing to the eye... fun for the adventurer... kill things looks great and get to mine from time to time. no miner would ever to to this dungeon.. why ? cause of its lack of metal.
    there are many examples of regular zones that actually have more and better ore nodes. i'm talking ones above ground.

14. Peabo

Peabo Avatar

Love it! just wish it had ore nodes

15. Calem

Calem Avatar

Mines ought to be the place to go for mining. Since the availability of ore and gems is fundamental for nearly all crafting in Sota, messing up the mines has a negative impact on a large chunk of player activity - miners, crafters, buyers. Prices will rise, new crafters will rightfully complain they're at a disadvantage since the old crafters had an easier/cheaper time getting skill points and so on. With more grind/time investment required per ore, things will effectively become less fun for everyone involved.

Serp Spine Mines is a neat and pretty place now, just no longer a mine - its ore yield per time is now inferior to some overland zones which is totally wrong. Both design and node itemization (ore nodes) lost sight the most central aspect of a mine. (And on a side note, Lich archmages in a 3-skull zone? Seriously?)

If this kind of update would hit the other mines, especially Elysium which is fueling 90% of masterworking and enchanting attempts, Sota's so far quite popular crafting aspect would train wreck pretty hard, which would be sad to see. Please re-tune, and reconsider for future mines.

Thanks.

uhop, Lord Baldrith, Hornpipe and 4 others like this.
  16. Joe Zhudarak

Joe Zhudarak Avatar

Everything is too dark and the nodes are really hard to find.

17. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

Took another trip to Serp Mines today...a friend went with me. Well one thing...its not as dark down there as it was. Which was good on my eyes. And the traps we encountered were fun. Died three times but mainly from stupidity not mobs. LOL. Got a bit of ore and other various things but was able to explore with help. I can probably traverse this again but will be rough. I dont do well with jumping at all. Hence why i had one death. First death from landslide. Third death from Lich that i knew i couldnt fight. LOL. The traps are very surprising. It is still a bit daunting trying to find ore but was able to see it and collect more than my first trip down. Again as some have stated it is more of an adventure scene than workable mine. Ore is scattered all about in very precarious places as well. Will have to go down again and see if we can figure out some of the other areas. After multiple deaths we kinda started getting cave blindness and had to leave. But it was fun.

18. Evilgamer

Evilgamer Avatar

I went to the bottom and held the lich and friends area until it got the better of me (no way a miner could make much progress alone down there) IT doesn't really work as an adventure zone either, there is neither loot or xp to be had.

K1000, uhop, Lord Baldrith and 2 others like this.
  19. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

That pretty much sums up what everybody in my guild who "used" to mine Serpents Spine Mines have said since the un-clone......
    Great artwork, but WE'RE HERE FOR THE ORE........... :mad:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    K1000, uhop, Randbo and 5 others like this.
  20. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

I love the serpent spine mine as it is now but that's right. It's lacking of ores, especially when it's not a forced party/solo instance. Personaly, I plan to stay in multiplayer mode and keeping the same number of ores in this mine isn't satisfactory because :
    1. Now they are far from each other and you lose your time looking at all the "nodes" to check if they "respawn"
    2. Now, in multiplayer, you have to share those nodes.
    I do not know how much it would take but it would take far more in my opinion, especially at the bottom of the mine which is hard to go to without dying and losing experience.

K1000, Stella Moon, majoria70 and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.