Watering visual

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Rhiannon, Apr 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

I really liked the large water visual we had at the beginning of R40. It made it much easier to see if you've watered something, especially on the fuller plants like rose bushes.

This morning, I have noticed we're back to that small little spot at the base of the plant. Is that intentional or a mistake?

2. Lained

Lained Avatar

Suspect they're taking another go at it to make it look more natural, I think if they used the current visual but increased the diameter so it goes beyond the shadow of the larger then it'd be easier to distinguish between the two.

3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I like the look better of the small on most plants but yes it is difficult to tell as the plant grows. When pointing at it, it should also say something like plant looks thirsty ;) I really was hoping that the reason it was change to the larger square of water was because if it rained the whole area would look wet and it would be silly to show just a small patch of water in that case and the worms would love it too ;)

and what about fertilizer from fish etc, fishing quests and competitions and interesting fish facts, and achievements to find all types of fish, and the fish type, and achievements to plant every type of plant, and perhaps grow the largest tomato or best tomato contest? And yes fishing is pushed and pushed as well.

I am really sad that we are not continuing on with these and that so much comes into the game started and then stops until further notice. *taps toe impatiently looking for her patience again*. Anyway so who knows and please @Devs come back to add to fishing and agriculture very soon. *sighs*

4. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I'm thinking the best of both large and small representations.
    [​IMG]

The larger one should be just after watering. Then 1/2 way through till the next watering, the representation changes to the smaller less flooded look.
    I think this would be a better ingame reminder which informs the player that it's almost watering time again...
    Without having to look at a RL Clock on the wall which make it feel more like work than a game o_O...
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

5. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

One of the things I will say in Portalarium's defense of the move they made to change it, is that thus far, Portalarium hasn't cut any corners in all beautiful graphics. They don't look like (in this case) a square within a big rectangular planting bed when watered.

[​IMG]

If our containers were a bunch of different squares, then the earlier graphic would look appropriate. The planting beds contain many plants, but not many squares.
    Thus far I've never seen Portalarium go cheap in quality and I think the change they did shows their commitment to that quality for better immersive graphics.
    If it's cheap, it's only a place holder, waiting for better to come and replace it.

Right now I've got 912 plants planted and I'm very much liking what I'm seeing :)

Barugon and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  6. David Thompson

David Thompson Avatar

my poor, old, tired, weak eyes prefer the bigger visuals.

7. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

My Watering Bucket List Full of Mysteries :confused:'
    It's the larger plants like cotton which are difficult for me to see if they have been watered. I chose Coconuts this time around because it's very easy to see if they have been all watered, as well as while watering them.

A watering mystery o_O...
    This is a reoccurring watering mystery which I'm soon to report as a bug because it reoccurs. Am I going crazy? Such things are possible with the Time Lord because I've been hit in the head far too often in RL so much that my skull looks like a Bangkok Road Map and I'm 59 years of age shortly, which is why I double check "him" so much as I do :confused:

The math isn't adding up correctly in water usage.
    I inventory my plants regularly counting and recounting again. Inventorying such a vast farm style planting operation does have some challenge to it. I have 2 basic properties comprised of 2 lots each which are both located in Wizards Rest (located just above our games first city ever made, Owls Head and governed by the most amazing grand mad wizard himself ,"Lord Bladrith" *shameless plug* :D) This first of my properties has the only windmill in town on it, which is placed on 2 village lots placed side by side, and the other is what I call the Barnyard Field because it's just behind our Wizards Rest's Barn. The Barnyard Farm is comprised of a town size lot with an attached village lot beside it. They are all massively filled with outdoor planters.

Yet here's the mystery o_O...

The Windmill Farm has a plant inventory of 434 plants which I water all at the same time and are all of a single type of crop. When I water the crop I take out 1000 buckets with me so I can double check how many plants there are there, "but the numbers don't add up", and this has reoccurred a few times now. In this last watering, I used 443, yet there are 434 plants.

The Barnyard Farm has a plant (current actually planted plants) inventory of 478 and I water the same as described above, "all at one time, with all one a single crop". I took out 1000 buckets to water it and used 477, yet one "Planting Bucket" shows no visual of having been watered, yet when clicked on it to water it shows it has been watered, which accounts for the discrepancy of the missing +1 water needed to water the entire field.

I have found that I do miss some plants while watering and double check afterward to insure they are all watered. Coconuts are very easy to check to see if they are all watered, which is why I used them in this latest crop because the same type of watering discrepancy has shown itself in earlier crop watering of the Windmill Farm before this time.

[​IMG]
    Please share if anyone has encountered the same types of farming problems :)

David Thompson likes this.
  8. Lained

Lained Avatar

Aye, the shadow under a cotton bush looks a lot like the watered patch so can make it hard to spot a plant missing water. I've got into the habit of carrying the exact number of buckets required for a given area and watering a row of five plants within a planting bed at a time and keeping an eye on the number of buckets in my inventory. That way it's easier to identify which plant you missed rather than at the end and trying to find it, I suspect it's more efficient to leave the odd one you missed than waste time trying to find it.
    I've not seen this in a while but recall reloading the scene resolved the issue.

David Thompson and Time Lord like this.
  9. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I reloaded from scratch and keep monitoring it attempting to add water. I'll be watching it's yield as well. I'm not moving it or placing it into a backpack because I want to see what happens with this planting barrel's future.

[​IMG]

I have yet to expand into basements yet this time around, but will begin after this crop comes in. I tried that before about 4 releases ago, but now with the new changes to planting within the last 3 releases I missed and with the new crops we can now plant, I'm thinking it would be much easier because of the new plant types. I'm thinking that I will be choosing the faster growing plants for those, so that it may be possible to time it all so I have a full day of gardening work to be done, freeing the rest my time for hunting.

Our own RL or play cycles seem to dictate how much we can enjoy, with an acceptable amount of profit to be had through the effort. I currently find that it's the timing and swift as possible planting of them which will dictate my actual involvement schedule. With this crop I planted them at the time I wanted to start the schedule, which was wrong, if I wanted to water at that same time every day, because it took much longer to plant them, than to water them all. So I'm thinking now, that I will plant the next crop one hour earlier than when I wish to do my thereafter watering. in this way, I'm attempting to allow for the time it takes for them to all mature, because during current watering time, I can see them popping up in the same amount of time it took to plant them, which is why I'm adjusting the planting on the next big crop, which should be comprised of around 1268 plants between all properties.

David Thompson and Arcanoxer like this.
  10. Lained

Lained Avatar

So my setup is seven greenhouses containing 84 plants each, I stopped at seven as it takes an hour to plant that much. I can water them in 8-12 minutes depending on the plant state (shoots are quick, bushes take longer), I then set my watering interval 4/8/16 hours after planting them all, usually I'm planting cotton/mandrake so I'm planting once a day. I'll then take a break every few days to reset my start time to fit my schedule.

David Thompson and Time Lord like this.
  11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Yeah, I like the way it looks now. I wasn't a fan of how it looked like a perfect wet square in my planter last release.

Time Lord likes this.
  12. David Thompson

David Thompson Avatar

would it be hard to have a choice between the two visuals ? or could they easily add "drooping plant" visuals when more water is needed ?

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

[​IMG]
    That's a good question! @Berek , or one of the tech savvy people o_O...

David Thompson likes this.
  14. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

Post launch can anyone tell me how to use the water skill on an area? I had a whole deck dedicated to agriculture then took a break, came back after launch the deck is empty and I cannot find a way to water the plants except to do each one at a time....very frustrating, cannot imagine a noob not getting irritated by something as simple as dumping water on an area of ground. Explicit directions would be appreciated. (yes I have a hoe of prosperity and yes Im holding 500 buckets of water)

15. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hi and Welcome back. Atm you cannot use it on an area but just on each individual plant. The devs had said they will enhance that and agriculture in the future but for one it is one at a time. What I do is use the e key whenever I can. To water to pick up loot, to open doors etc. It saves my wrist to use the e key verses double clicking. Heres hopeing for updates soon to agriculture and fishing *crosses fingers*.

MagiK likes this.
  16. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

Seriously they took it out? It was working fine before. Bangs head on desk...not sure I want to come back till they got things working jeez, I just dont have the time to spend hours trying to figure out things that used to work and now don't. Is there a lot of development left to do? I thought launch mean t that the game mechanics all worked :( (not trying to harsh the mellow or anything but well launch sort of implies a completed product)

Oh and thank you for the welcome back and answer even though Im cranky :)

17. Lained

Lained Avatar

Batch planting, water & harvesting has been in the game for a few releases now. Drag the water & harvesting icons (from the skills panel) onto your utility hotbar to use them, sowing works the same except you place the seed you want to sow instead.

[​IMG]

majoria70 and MagiK like this.
  18. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

Tried that, it wont let me drag them

19. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well if we ever had that feature then it is my bad. And in this case this game will never be completed. I agree that features should not be bare bones but crafting and fishing still are but updates are coming soon I think for them. Its ok to be cranky. It takes lots of patience to wait for your favorite things. I know all about finding my patience since I have to do it quite often. I just find other things to do until that happens and make threads to remind the devs occasionally. So now I'm working on my music emporium and helping where I can. Theres lots of fun things to do while waiting once you find your personal outlet. ;)

Edit: oops sorry to mislead you. I have been watering 1 by 1

MagiK likes this.
  20. Lained

Lained Avatar

Ah in that case visit a crafting trainer to teach you the skills first. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.