Still no mounts :-(

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jem3299, Apr 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Well said. You'll get crucified, in some quarters, for saying it -- but rest assured there are plenty of people, starting with myself, who absolutely get where you are coming from. Good on you for being true to yourself.

Preachyr, Salix, MrBlight and 4 others like this.
  2. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

I can't imagine mounts being all that useful anyway. The scenes are too small for them to be of any real benefit for travel purposes. They could have combat applications but err... well between PvE mob leashes, and PvP balance - not a rabbit hole I'd want to jump into. Perhaps they might be an overworld map only thing that makes you move faster. They could do the same with airships too - and allow you to fly over mountains and such in those like in many JRPGs. Not sure about the $500 price tag for that though.

3. jem3299

jem3299 Avatar

If you guys are going to argue that there is no point in mounts, then you have to explain the addition of all the other pointless elements that HAVE made it into the game. It's a game. I want one. That's the only point. No different than the useless generator in your yard, non-working wings on your back. or the fruitless gardens you tend.

Ahuaeynjgkxs, Tracker, Numa and 7 others like this.
  4. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Well, I think Ashlynn actually covered it well already. But to say again, horses in MMOs are used for travel. SotA's instances are relatively small and don't really need horses to travel around them.

How does that differ to other "pointless elements" of the game? Easy. You're comparing fluff cosmetics with a travel system. So they're not actually comparable in the first place. Think that covers it.

5. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I don't like to use the term "crucify" in this context and will replace it with "harshly disparage". I would like to point out that some of the most vocal critics of the game are themselves guilty of harshly disparaging anyone who has anything positive to say about the game. They exhibit the behavior that they criticize.

One of the things I wish for this game is a user base that has the ability to voice their opinions (either pro or con) in an objective fashion without trying to turn everything into an ideological "us versus them" debate. I think @Pikegirl's post was a good example of such an objectively worded post.

6. jem3299

jem3299 Avatar

Lol, travel system o_O Heck, I played around with Unity a couple of years ago and the first thing I did after getting my character working was get her up on a horse. Had her riding around in a scene in less than a day (and shooting monsters too). And I am not even a programmer. They could do this any time they like.

7. reuge

reuge Avatar

Well there are priorities like

Summer telethon
    Winter telethon
    Add on stores inventory

Which I can understand we all need to eat. But it does detract the dev from the actual development.

8. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

I was super bummed at first when I heard no mounts for ep1 but now I have more problems with my character being to fast for the small scene's ... truly my character is the flash or something

so where should I mount? only thing I can think of is overland to easier avoid encounters.. not that big of a deal if u ask me.

9. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Indeed, which is why I was happy to be the first to applaud it. A great post. And hopefully my comment on how anything negative on this forum (no matter how well intentioned), gets attacked, has stopped that somewhat.

Well, that's great. But quite unrelated to what I was talking about, nor what Ashlynn was talking about, either. That point being you don't need horses when you can walk from one side of a scene to the other in no time flat.

If SotA was an actual seamless 3D world that you could walk around, sure, you'd need a horse. Absolutely! But when all the major distances are done via an overhead map, actual movement in the little instances doesn't need one.

10. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts!

11. JaeKo

JaeKo Avatar

So people are saying there is no need for mounts but I see people using spells to run faster? Why the hell not just have a mount?!? No one said the mount had to go super fast but I can tell you no mounts is a deal breaker for me. If i can't get some information soon on whether there will be mounts, that will be it for me unfortunatly as no mounts is a deal breaker for me. Sucks because I really thought the game was almost perfect for me otherwise

Salix likes this.
  12. Cream2

Cream2 Avatar

There will never be mounts, unless its on the overworld map.
    Does anyone realize how insanely ridiculously fast we can already move / run?

Stacking sprint and dash, plus pots and other items....... How is a mount needed?

only outcome is having those abilities nerfed to make a mount relevant

Hornpipe likes this.
  13. Numa

Numa Avatar

The main point of mounts (to me) is to be able to transport a large amount of goods from point to point. Even the teleport spell doesn't work if you're overburdened and the strength spells only go so far.

[​IMG]

14. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

As evidenced by the Donkey being one of the Stretch Goal Rewards with the Mounts Stretch Goal...

The Mounts Stretch Goal was to have made Mounts available for Episode 1 if the stretch goal had funded. It did not, nor did any of the other stretch goals.
    Mounts have been promised for Episode 2. So, if having Mounts in the game is a requirement for the OP to play, I would suggest he come back for episode 2.

Barugon, Lazarus Long and Numa like this.
  15. JaeKo

JaeKo Avatar

It's people like you that help ruin it! Why are you such an actavist for not having something that should already be!? Yes it is important! No it will not hurt the game and also, If you are so worried about "moving faster" than simply YOU don't use a mount! How about that??

16. JaeKo

JaeKo Avatar

The game zones are def big enough to justify a mount. Even if it isn't to some people. I want mounts. I want to move faster. Mounts where a part of human travel. If you do not want a mount, than simply don't use one but PLZZ stop activating for there not to be mounts and making it harder! The devs would take it really serious if we just all stuck together and damanded it! I would help fight for others for something if i didn't nessasarly care for it! I want this game to succed and thrive! If you care about this game, plz know that no mounts would hurt the game bringing in a lot more new players as many people will not play because mounts are a huge deal to more than you know

17. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

Personally i don't think we 'need' mounts as the world is easy to walk over quite fast. However, i do see the need for animals of burden, donkeys. animals & cart etc. So many times in scenes i have to run out to either get supplies or sell as my weight is too much. It would be great to have a say donkey that you can pile up with items, leave at the entrance to a scene and fill up with ore/loot and get resupplied from.

18. Fiero Steele

Fiero Steele Avatar

@Bow Vale - great idea, then I can come along and steal, oops I mean, loan the donkey :)

Bow Vale likes this.
  19. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I definitely see lots of reasons for mounts.

Horse breeding,

We could have races

Horses and carts to pull some of our heavy loads.

Horses could be taught to do tricks to jump over hurdles to enter contests.

And they could be our friends.

I have always loved my mounts in games and whatever purposes we can find to have these wonderful creatures in our game I agree we absolutely need them.

So cheers for mounts coming in episode 2.

We are only limited by our imagination in all things.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    Alleine Dragonfyre likes this.
  20. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

Well I (currently) do not miss mounts but even if they do not offer a big benefit there will be people interesting in sitting on a mount simply because it is a mount. I’m often surprised why there are so many different mounts in some games as there is no difference in e.g. speed but people are collecting them...so maybe this could be an additional reason for some to play SotA and if that is the case I suggest to still implement mounts even if their ingame benefit would be all in all insignificant.

@Bow Vale
    To have pack animals could be indeed a good possibility but I do not think it would be a good solution to leave them secure at the entrance. I would instead suggest that they are following your avatar like a tamed pet. You maybe could give them even the same commands like “stay” to keep them out of too difficult situations and use the same spells to heal/resurrect them but generally they should be in the same danger as your avatar…if there are enemies they could be killed, if there is pvp active there could be items stolen from them.
    The reason is there must still be some kind of risk (or so to say a disadvantage) to use them...else they would be a “must have” and if possible I would prefer to avoid must have’s. :D

Oh and @majoria70 I do not think breeding is just for mounts. I hope this will be a seprate feature in a later episode and that it will not just be limited to mount breeding. ;)

majoria70 and Bow Vale like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.