Deathmage God Mode

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bioxide, Apr 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

You and me both, Im headed back into bludge now, mostly because I got my earth almost maxed out and I need a melee skill for pesky critters. I have a feeling that we will get a buff, but not even close enough to be competitive so I'll still primarily use my earth.

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  2. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

You know, I have noticed that a lot of Asian based MMO's kinda get this stuff right for balance. I dont see our developers understanding what paper/rocks/scissors is. Meaning, every skill tree has one that can wreck it, one that is equal and one that is extremely weak to it (and the rest are shades in between). This kind of thing in games has evolved to being one of the best ways to balance there is.

3. mass

mass Avatar

The negative aspect of that type of balancing is that battles are often a foregone conclusion. I'd rather see a skill by skill balancing rather than tree by tree balancing (though, more difficult to do).

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  4. Evilgamer

Evilgamer Avatar

Well as a heavy armor wearer...thats kind of a problem for me, or at least was before I mostly dropped the pretty expensive +resist armor I had and got on the +avoid train 2 weeks ago. Every time I ever scrolled back to see how I got smashed by a skeleton\elf it was always piercing shot.

I would call that playing to your strength\weakness to be honest. Just like when I got tired of being nailed by fire so I started working on defense against it.

5. Evilgamer

Evilgamer Avatar

Nah, while a lot of the reasons we are having this conversation is that SOTA lacks a proper class system to prevent from being a grand master mage with 100000 HP and 100000 mana wearing plate mail, the reverse is that you have the option to change up your gear and deck to meet a specific challenge. Anyone who takes a death build in against undead is going to have a bad day for example. Same as any other situation where you get caught in the wrong configuration.

Lord Baldrith and MrBlight like this.
  6. Calem

Calem Avatar

To really balance skills for both PVP and PVE, each skill would need two separate effects/calculations: One for PVP, one for PVE. That way, you can balance independantly. For example, make stuns have diminishing returns for players and keep them useful in PVE. This road has the hugely positive side effect of keeping necessary PVP adjustments from messing up your (main) PVE game.

This has been successfully done btw, I think it was in Dragon Nest, an asian action-focused MMO.

7. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

.. Well that was 10 pages.. filled with stuff that shoulda been moderated hours ago?

1 - and going off my own tests.. and what chris broke down.. doesnt 50 attunement translate to the same effect as 25 resist? So where did the argument atunement doesnt effect resist come from? I certainly found the opposite when testing.. it makes a pretty massive difference in PVP, just upping your attunement ( or is that just in my head? )

2 - Death magic is strong as hell in 1v1 scenarios. And very very strong in PVP. I find corpse explosion to be almost overkill on the dmg.. makes power farming exp almost too unbalanced. Honestly i just think Corpse explosion dmg needs to be toned down a bit... the rest of the skills are strong.. especially in PVP scenario, but they are also useless against undead (1/3 of the PVE ) so it is what it is. They are no worse then air mages were before CL got adjusted. (now its much more balanced IMO with crowd control resist working properly)

3 - Those numbers posted about Archer crits are pretty wildly exaggerated. Im about 110 Ranged, 100 aimed, 105 rapid, 100 eagle eye, 100 draw strength 85 range.. running outdated gear but around 100 dex give or take. Adv level 90? 91?
    With elevation the most dmg ive ever done in a single shot was aimed shot stack 5 = 414 dmg. Normally crits over 300 are a very rare occurance. That being said i wont dispute the dmg on Rapid fire is HIGH, but the idea your going to crit for 80-90s all the time is pretty laughable. If im at 130 in rapid, draw strength and ranged combat? Then maybe maybe.. but thats not any different then doing one of the magic trees/ blades tree.. and having the appropriate passives up.
    Honestly i feel like ranged is pretty on track. The big thing to remember here, is archers are single target DPS, so even if my rapid fire DID do more on average then someone else.. i can only hit 1 target at a time. A Melee is hitting multiple every swing. A caster has numerous AOE options etc etc. Pound for pound i know i can take the identical amount of EXP i put into archery, and put it in other places and get a much higher DPS to groups, or PVP, or singles.

That being said - Piercing shot is a joke. Its surprisingly mediocer in PVP, altho it DOES do better then aimed shot if your shooting a pure plate. But its useless in all aspects in PVE, making it one of those *PVP* only skills. Which i guess is what it is till armor efffects mobs.

4 and lastly -

Pretty much all combat needs multiple passes in one aspect or another. There definitly is *stronger* builds then others. And some very clearly dominent when referring to PVP or refering to PVE. You can dispute this simple claim all you want.. but theres quite clearly a reason why Combat Balancing is listed numerous time in the schedule.

Any as stated as i wrote this. This is a classeless system with no caps.
    Is anything * OP * if anyone / everyone can get it? Lol makes it hard to *Balance*.. really dont know what they are aiming for with everyone eventually being gods of everything.

Innascual Inch and nonaware like this.
  8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I think they should make Banish Undead do extra damage against those with high death attunement. The higher the attunement, the greater the damage.

:D

Thwip, Stundorn, Sara Dreygon and 7 others like this.
  9. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

thats.... actually kinda a funny idea lol

Pitting healers as an actual counter to Death Mages.. lol

Stundorn and Derium like this.
  10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I suppose it's already affective, in a way, since Soul Tap causes a massive hit to life attunement.

Stundorn and fonsvitae like this.
  11. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Regarding resist - you've got it... for defense: total resist is resist plus half your attunement.

Ranged - ha, I use the crap out of multi, rapid, and shock arrow - I don't even mess around with aimed on it's own anymore - I can crit harder with Death Ray. :D lol

MrBlight likes this.
  12. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

That is actually an insanely good idea. We have noted for ever that the life tree has no combat function (except banish undead). How about changing life to have the complete opposite effects the death. Instead of pumping life for focus, you pump focus for life and the spells suck out focus from critters/people.

13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

As for ranged being single target; this is mostly true but the recent change to Multi-Shot made it pretty decent... although it's going to get nerfed back down in R41.

14. mass

mass Avatar

I think about it like this: if you are balanced rock, paper, scissors, why would rock ever fight paper? I prefer the classless system where people can be creative to mix and match things in ways that might surprise you. And like you point out, it allows you to adapt to different scenarios. But it does mean each skill has to be examined in a large context of other skills for balancing. But in other games, I always play whatever class allows a mix of magic, armor, and weapons, so that's my bias.

15. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

I honestly used multi for about 2 hours before i turned it off and never looked at it agian. That was hands down the most useless skill to date that i have used. (this was months ago already tho)
    What changes were made recently?

Lord Baldrith and Pinky2 like this.
  16. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Jst incorporated Searing Ray into my build. 62 in the skill and ive crit T 7 elite skelis for 175-180. Attunement a meer 30-40 lol

Stundorn and Vrunk Hrrk like this.
  17. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

hits more targets.

no longer stop to cast.

still crap :)

MrBlight likes this.
  18. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

From the build 563 patch notes (archived on sotawiki.net):

19. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

I'm with you on this totally....it is the most silly system for a defence of a school of magic going, it forces all to train what they are never going to use....understandable to train a resistance to a school of magic but having to train the whole school to have a chance of competing is crazy and excessive.

I posted earlier how i thought it be good if it takes away the healing aspect of death while still keeping the death damage dependant on how damaged you are, keeping it true to its roots, more damage taken more given. But for this to work they would need to then remove any negative attunement to life from tap soul and rings and allow death mages to heal and BE healed normally. Id be fine with that and not feel so much of an outcast in group play. What i don't want them to do is to hit the tree with their big hammer and make it worthless as has been known in the past, they don't do things here by halfs normally, hit it big is their style...RIP taming...and after todays post-mortem....forever :(

20. Casey McCormick

Casey McCormick Avatar

Now if only Chris and his dev team not only work at the speed of light, but also read the forums to keep tabs on the player pulse, multiple combat balancing passes would be made, and SOTA would be great to play.
    As it is, with Sota's small dev team size and their limited resources, we can only hope that combat will be balanced in the future.
    Currently, I think like what someone has mentioned previously, not all magic schools have been fleshed out yet.
    I think the dev team already know what their priorities are: get the game ready for launch first. Balance comes when all (or a majority of) the game mechanics are in place. We can only hope that they get the resources which they need to do so.
    And lastly, I hope that Chris and his team read the feedback in this thread. Now what action he takes, its up to him, but at least get this feedback to him so that he knows what's going on.

Sara Dreygon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.