Karma I mean Immersion Police

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Greyfox, Apr 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

The plot of our game is based upon "Outlanders/us" from Earth getting sucked into this virtual world. Immersion wise our knowledge of Earth was not stripped so explain why would we not have similar actions to those on Earth?

In my vision of SOTA, anything on Earth is possible. Even more so, since we have the magic from our imaginary world and the knowledge of science from Earth.

How am I wrong and where is my flying cat with lasers shooting from her eyes?

2. Bayard

Bayard Avatar

Heh, there is concern about pets being used to advertise an in-game store. When I see something like that, I think of a huge bear with a sandwich board on its sides that says, "Eat at Joe's", chuckle and go about my business. :)

3. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

4. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Even this should be possible in SOTA,

[​IMG]

MrBlight, Time Lord and discipleofweb like this.
  5. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

The argument is two fold. Game play perspective (legalities, balance, trademarks, social norms, game tech) and secondly a fantasy argument.

Lets focus on fantasy, as we all realize we can't have Darth Vader appear in SOTA as Disney would crush the IP invasion. From a purely fantasy perspective given the Steampunk setting and the parameters of us coming from Earth into a magical realm, given enough time, anything could be possible.

The beauty of Novia is the fact there are very few limitations on what can be introduced. We don't have firmly established canon with built in limitations such as a LOTRO or SWG. We also don't have a large independent company owning the IP such as Disney or EA.

Based upon my belief system, we could have time travel, laser kitties, spacecraft, talking animals, pet vendors, swimming in water in full plate armor, killer bunnies, and so many more creative assets in Novia. Imagination is the only limitation in this world.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    Time Lord likes this.
  6. Kitty2

Kitty2 Avatar

Have you ever read Ernest Cline's Ready Player One? The majority of that novel takes place in a giant virtual sandbox world called The Oasis in which the very thing you're describing takes place, Greyfox; i.e., at one point, the main character is driving around in a DeLorean with the Ghostbusters logo on the doors and an Ecto-1 license plate, and his spacecraft include an X-Wing and a replica of the ship from Firefly.

While it's a very amazing and freeing concept in its own right, you have to imagine the reactions of the natives here if the Outlanders indulged in this practice. I can see the mobs with pitchforks and torches now!!!

Stundorn and discipleofweb like this.
  7. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Maybe its like Terminator. When you go back through time (through the portal), you cannot take material items with you.

Stundorn and Hornpipe like this.
  8. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

@redfish

The snow people of White Hart take exception with your uncustomary exclusion of their need to exist in Novia.

redfish likes this.
  9. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

We take knowledge, far more important and freeing than items. We already have a teletype and an Internet (Noble Chat). How far are we from playing Shroud within Shroud from a technology perspective?

10. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Think of that like the classic Start Trek episode where Spock and Kirk went back into the late 60's and were stuck. Spock had to try to piece together old Earth technology to make a communicator so they could contact the enterprise.

In Novias case, its kinda still a bronze age erra. Imagine making advanced technology with our blacksmithing bench :)

Im totally just trying to find RP reasons for this :)

Vaentorian, Stundorn and Hornpipe like this.
  11. redfish

redfish Avatar

And somehow Kirk always manages to fall in love with the first girl he meets on an away mission. And he equally loves them all!

Stundorn and discipleofweb like this.
  12. Bayard

Bayard Avatar

I think a naked Greyfox exiting the time portal would be much more shocking than flying cars or lasers!!! :eek:

Stundorn and Greyfox like this.
  13. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

In my view we have some relatively high tech devices such as the teletype, portable radios/headsets, flight, sea travel (not fully implemented), metallurgy, gunpowder (cannons on airship and Kobalds), weather control (clockwork umbrella), electricity and other unknown power sources, life and health sciences, many other advanced technologies.

I could in fact argue Novia is more technologically advanced than even our Earth in 2017. Add on the "magic" factor and logically I see no real limitation on what could be introduced from an RP perspective into this fantasy world.

Stundorn likes this.
  14. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Now you are scaring people!

Stundorn likes this.
  15. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

ya, and people have made the case that in the last several months, having the devs add this stuff into the game has kinda mashed up the "style" of the game that was really mid-evil Europe focused.

I had some concerns with some of the new furniture created lately that look like modern Earth stuff. They are fantastic, but dont really fit in well IMHO

Stundorn likes this.
  16. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

Try entering into Ardoris from the Soltown side . Off of one beaten path is a sign reading 'Outlanders keep out'

Barnabas Root and Stundorn like this.
  17. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

I don't believe SOTA was ever a low fantasy medieval setting. This game was always developed to have a high Steampunk influence similar to the Ultima games. In fact RG melded his love of space/science/D&D into Ultima.

fonsvitae and Stundorn like this.
  18. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I'm still waiting on all the mats to build my tachyon amplifier.
    Oh yeah, and where are all the dinosaurs, smoking hot natives, and hallucinogens?
    [​IMG]

Stundorn likes this.
  19. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

The knowledge is an important thing but you'll have an hard time building a central process unit or a laser controller with a hammer and an anvil. And, don't take any offense, I highly doubt more than a few of us is even able to build an efficient hammer from scratch (personaly I can't), because knowledge must include everything, like shaping wood and metal. So...

We came to Novia without any material, without even our body. We only have very basic tools. So I highly doubt this is a serious concern, even if it's possible.

Stundorn likes this.
  20. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I dont care, really not.
    I have N and FM and i always can quit :p

It's cool to have immersive environments, but i never would or want stop people to do what they like.

But i have the right to say it annoys me to have not immersive things ingame.
    It's a RPG i also can play the annoyed Novian see his Country overruned by crazy people with pinky wings or strange Names what arent names but advertising.

My Char is a from the 800 century Earth and to me most things are from crazy Skraelinga, weird and wicked.
    No Problem to insult all those fancy things ingame and in character ;)

Vaentorian likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.