Thread locking and deleting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by reuge, Apr 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

This is actually my main complaint about moderation here. I have felt this myself at times. I really harped on this about 6 months ago and I have to admit, I think Berek has done a great job lately about being impartial.

Autumn Willow likes this.
  2. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

I think it's about time:

Greyfox likes this.
  3. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Despite my frequent participation in this forum, I can't say how well Berek is doing his job because I don't know what the expectations or directions are from Portalarium in this regard.

But otherwise, I generally agree with your statements here.

I do know that there are a few instances where I've been moderated unfairly, to my opinion. In such instances, I had private conversations with him and got clarity as to the reason why. Every time.

I also had my signature moderated once. I very strongly feel that there was somebody lurking in the background that didn't like some of the things I was saying, and so reported my signature just to be a ****.

The reason I believe this is because I see *tons* of signatures that violate the guidelines. To me, this signifies that Berek does not generally police signatures, however if a signature is reported and found to violate the guidelines, he will moderate it.

And yes, mine violated the guidelines. So I changed it.

So that's what I concluded about it.

I could have concluded that Berek was personally messing with me.

I could have concluded that he is playing favorites because I see some "bigger whales" out there with violate signatures that aren't being moderated.

I could have concluded... Well a bunch of things.

But the *truth* is... I will never know. That's OK. I don't need to ragequit, incite forum rebellion, or start hateblogging about SotA.

I don't need to keep a folder of screenshots from the forum, or lurk around in the PM system trying to convince others why there is a "toxic community" here, while unacknowledging my own toxic behaviors.

I have a choice. I could do those things or I could do something else.

What I end up choosing says more about ME than it says about anybody else.

And that's a fact, Jack! :D

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  4. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

report them and if nothing is being done about it there's your answer
    (I'm betting something will be done about it)
    but who cares it's just a sig :p
    great conclusions anyhow! keep it rational^^

Jaanelle DeJure likes this.
  5. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Nah I have better things to do than police this forum or get offended at somebody else's signature. :rolleyes::D

However, I do agree that something would be done about it. I would be *extremely* surprised to hear that somebody reported a signature that was violating the guidelines, but that no action was taken on the report. At the very least, I think it is safe to assume that Berek's job duties involve responding to moderation reports. Not so sure they include policing the forum for every little violation. Two different things. But I could be wrong.

Now of all the speculation I've seen flying around, I personally feel that allegations of forum members abusing the reporting system in order to be passive aggressive toward others they don't like to be the most credible, but only because that narrative jives most closely with my own experience.

We could always ask. Hey @Berek I'm curious to know what is your policy regarding users submitting a high volume of moderation requests as compared to average. Would you mind sharing some light on the subject? :)

6. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Volume isn't a concern, only that what's submitted is carefully reviewed by the submitter first and is actually relevant :). Please do report actual issues and concerns, that's what it's for! If volume increases, it will only take a bit longer for us to get to all of them, that's all.

7. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Thanks for the response, though it doesn't quite address what I was trying to get at. Let me rephrase...

What is your policy regarding a situation where an individual user- or group of users- are submitting a large amount of reports as compared to average.

For example, let's say I were to start sending 10 reports a day. Even if they were legitimate... Would you wonder if I am being overzealous in my policing of the forum? And if so, how might you handle it with me?

Cordelayne likes this.
  8. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Nah, not possible to be overzealous, it's not like you are doing something wrong, you are simply reporting what needs to be reported, right?

After you report it, your job is done. It is up to us then to consider validity and move forward with any actions. It's not like your report is considered as including what's appropriate as an action from the get-go... we have to still consider that part of the process. We also usually don't inform reporters of any actions that are taken, especially things like "This guy is being abusive in a thread, please check it out and ban him, thanks", as that wouldn't be appropriate in most situations.

9. Kpopgurl

Kpopgurl Avatar

Interesting. Yesterday a thread was deleted where someone complained that the 50 sigs he reported and violated the rules were still there and nothing happened for weeks. After you deleted his thread, you banned him right?

Ice Queen likes this.
  10. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Well if I were a moderator I would have to work with an assumption of good faith on behalf of the people making the reports, otherwise that would greatly interfere with my ability to remain impartial.

However, in the back of my mind I might wonder what those intentions really are.

For example, it is possible that a user- or group of users- are specifically targeting people they don't like for whatever reason.

So it would be sort of like them trying to use you as a weapon against somebody else.

I suppose- at the end of the day- what matters is whether or not a violation has occurred, and what action was taken or not taken.

If somebody is out there trying to be passive aggressive by reporting people they don't like, they are the ones who have to live with themselves.

If such a person existed, they would most certainly never admit their malintent to you or I, and so our continuing to speculate about it is probably pointless.

11. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

eedit late as always ^^
    sounds outrageous but you should as @Jaanelle DeJure and give a shout to @Berek if you're looking for a reply.
    iI'm guessing there is more to this story than I'm aware off

12. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I read this completely different then you do. Why is the guy reporting 50 signatures? That sounds quite passive aggressive. What else did he do to get banned (if that is what happened). Was it an alt that posted 5 message and the guy is just going after people just to be vindictive? Why would you automatically assume Berek is the bad guy?

If this were my game, I would ban him too, probably a lot sooner then Berek.

13. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

People just dont get it that there are a lot of people here just stiring up crud just to do it because the are so angry with the game because it did not match with whatever random variable they have in their heads that they expected. You dont see it as much on these forums, but others out there like on Redit are clearly out to interject their hate onto those of us who still love playing this game. I constantly have to make the point to them after they have posted a rant about how everything in the game is terrible *period* that this is their opinion and there are many people who may agree that this or that is a problem but have fun and enjoy playing the other 90% of the game every day. This makes them insanely angry.

The key here is that I still love playing the majority of this game. That is my opinion. I understand that there are people who absolutely hate it to the point of trying to sabotage it.

They make bold claims that the game is a failure... period... and that none of us should play it. They get insanely angry when you tell them that this is their opinion and that lots of people love playing the game. They demand that we should hate it too. How silly is that?

14. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Your challenge is rather limiting in the scope of forum posts.

Many of the threads started here are more about 1 person's vision of where the game should go. That or an unfounded belief that SotA was meant to be something else (IE UO2)

That means the threads topic isn't about improving the game it's about changing the game. ANY post that points this fact out is negative to the OP and could possibly be considered improving the game. Defending what SotA is from being mob ruled into something SotA was never intended to be - improvement, kinda

15. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

I think you may have really hit the nail on the head there.

Such people not only have a very negative opinion about the game, but they insist on expressing their opinion as fact.

Inevitably, others come around and say that is your opinion, but mine is different.

And they rage out, start throwing out attacks, get reported, get moderated, maybe get banned.

And then end up on Reddit doing the same thing all over again.

Some people simply will not tolerate the possibility of their being opinions that different from their own.

While there really is no such thing as "free speech" in a private forum, some people seem to feel that such a "freedom" means they can go around stating opinions as if they were facts, berating and browbeating anyone who disagrees, and then playing the victim when things backfire and they don't get their way.

Obviously... This pattern goes on all over the place with people who have never heard of SotA. :rolleyes:

Ristra likes this.
  16. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

I've seen over moderations on this forum for years now. Although since Berek has been moderating I have to say he's more professional and more fair than any others.

I've seen people that simply disagree with someone else and pointing out issues with this game and it's lack of clear direction, attacked and reported by prominent members because they don't like someone's opinion just to get them moderated and/or banned.

This game has a following of mostly adults and it's always surprised me the behavior that often takes place despite that fact. Offended by criticism of a video game, so much they feel empowered by the report button to feel a win or revenge. Its mind boggling and sad really, we're adults we can take it, just like we do in the real world on a daily basis, yeesh. I have never reported one soul on this forum because I just feel it's immature to do that. They've spent money on this game and can say whatever they want to me, it's just words.

If I don't agree with someone or feel they're just being mean for the hell of it, I can still reply in a sensible manner or use the ignore button if I feel they're just trolling or trying to get a rise out of someone, or I can simply not read any further. There are ways created within the forums to keep anyone from getting irritated with another. I dont feel the need to make people hold hands and punish them for simply being rude to me or disagreeing....Simple part of being adult and dealing with people. Now when someone is seriously threatening someone that's a different story and should be taken care of.

This is probably the only MMORPG forum I've been to since playing mmorpgs back when UO came out, that I've ever seen so much attention towards protecting hurt feelings and hiding anything negative about the game.

Blackghost, Kaisa, Xandra7 and 7 others like this.
  17. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

BINGO!!!

18. Autumn Willow

Autumn Willow Avatar

I think this phenomenon isn't unique to people with negative opinions. So let's try not to lump them all together in a blanket statement.

Stating opinions as facts, berating and brow beating people are undesirable characteristics regardless of how they feel about the game.

Grumpy and Jaanelle DeJure like this.
  19. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I agree 100%. In 17 months I have only reported 1 or 2 messages that were strait up personal attacks to the point of slamming the intelligence of someone for disagreeing with their opinion.

20. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

People are rude to moderator: nothing happens.

Moderator moderates with vigor: forum uproar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.