Announcing the "Fine Arts of Forsaken Virtues" and Seeking Members

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mad Hatter, Apr 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter Avatar

Hello Avatars,

I have some very exciting news to share with everyone. We have been given a great opportunity to bring some of the community’s exceptional artwork into our beautiful realm of New Britannia.

I am happy to introduce the officially approved Fine Arts of Forsaken Virtues

[​IMG]

At this moment, I am happily looking for Avatars to join on this mission to help our friends at Portalarium by creating a vetting process and provide approved material we see fit for the game. Fine Arts of ForsakenVirtues will be the direct correlation to getting final/proper art work into the gods hands at Portalarium... where they will make final decision on what goes into the game.

Do you have a deep passion for Beauty / Skills / Technique / Uniqueness / and just all the characteristics that make Art so fantastic? Do you want to help bring some of the great community artist's work into our virtual world?

If this fits you... please let me know as I am tasked to get this running very soon.

I will leave this up for a week to so people have ample time to give it some thought, and will be in contact with all that responded and select a team from that point going forward.

Remember… Art should captivate you. Art is skillfully made with a lot of passion, and most likely created from a style and technique from previous artist and a signature twist applied to make it their own... this is the beauty within art and a small look at the picture before you!!!

I always feel art brings true meaning beyond just an image being portrayed. Art can bring one to tears, can surly make us laugh, and sometimes reminds us about things forgotten and brings us right back to that moment and place! Art can also take us places beyond vision and to another dimension/fantasy!

I personally like Arts that dares one to be different and takes a risk to really drive a message!!!

Most importantly… good art is surly understandable and breathtaking. It also can surly make you think in ways you never expected to.

Welcome to Fine Arts of Forsaken Virtues.

-Mad Hatter

Thanks to Portalarium @Lord British @DarkStarr @Chris @Chaox @Berek for this opportunity given to us all!!!

**Details about the program and how to submit Art Work to us will be available soon**

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  2. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:eek:~"Time Lord's~ Threat to New Britannia!"~:confused:
    [​IMG]
    Unless you wish for our first player made artwork on your walls to look like Time Lord's stick people,
    "The Fine Arts of Forsaken Virtues Wants You!"
    Please come and give your invited support to the Fine Arts of Forsaken Virtues!
    :eek:~For the love of our game "Please, or Else!"~:confused:
    [​IMG]
    :rolleyes:~Time Lord~o_O

3. Doctor

Doctor Avatar

Hey Mad Hatter

I would very much like to participate in this. A few years back, I demonstrated a similar concept in bringing avatars together with different talents and artistic values to one place and help promote their work to the rest of the community as well as to the developers. This was a project I was working on but due to real life commitments, it never happened. Nevertheless, I will do what I can to help contribute to the Fine Arts.

I will post a few links (first one relating to "Avatars Studio" there is a link to a script I made hehe highlighted there ) and some artwork I did in the past.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/are-you-an-artist.24966/#post-357270

I have some artwork I have produced in the past but they are not of high quality. Pencil sketches, decoration, and comics. I hope to go onto a tablet at some point.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/doctor-shrouds-art-thread.24759/
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...d-visit-by-lord-british-and-dark-starr.32174/
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/this-looks-a-bit-fishy-to-me.32704/
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/sunday-morning-comic.33902/

These are here just to give you an idea of how involved I was and still willing to be when it comes to art. I hope to produce more in the future once I have more time. It's an incredible feeling when you get the devs and the community supporting your work, especially with @Leostorm amazing artwork and having opportunities to put them in the game is outstanding. *applauds*

Thank you for bringing the spotlight to Artists again Mad Hatter and I look forward to contributing in my own way and hope I've inspired more with my ideas above.

Leelu, rild, Mad Hatter and 8 others like this.
  4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Can count me in..

Leelu, rild, Mad Hatter and 3 others like this.
  5. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

I would like to support this group as well.

6. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I'm very excited about this opportunity for the player community to produce more artwork for the game. I look forward to seeing the different ways players might contribute.

I'm also hoping that more artists participate. As of now we really have but three, @caravaggiosWolf (Dev), @dloubet, and @Leostorm that have works in the game. I hope I'm not forgetting anyone. I'd like to see many more, starting with @Indi2.

It would also be fun to move past paintings and tapestries at some point and see art applied to book covers, furniture, and other objects where appropriate.

Good luck! Thank you for taking on this responsibility, @Mad Hatter.

7. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Definitely IN! Thanks Mad Hatter, excellent work as always homie! :)

8. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

Excited about this! your description about "art" is what captivate me.

pm sent.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
    Leelu, rild, Mad Hatter and 2 others like this.
  9. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

Leelu, rild and Time Lord like this.
  10. Drocis the Devious

@Mad Hatter With this in mind, it would be nice if there was a centralized place that documented all of the player created artwork in the game to date.

Leelu, Vaentorian, rild and 3 others like this.
  11. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

"The Mad Hatter Rocks Our SOTA Word Around!"
    [​IMG]

12. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

13. Pebbles

Pebbles Avatar

Hey there! I started out in fine art and have been a freelance graphic artist and art director for 20+ years. Would love to volunteer in any way I can count me in, too! :)

14. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter Avatar

Thanks to all that have express interest in the Fine Arts Program...
    There is still time (until end of the day today) for anyone else interested.

Thanks and expect to here from is soon community!!!

-Mad Hatter

15. Scottie

Scottie Master Artisan SOTA Developer

I'm very intrigued by this initiative, and look forward to seeing how it manifests!

For instance, I know the process by which art that I make, as a developer, gets into the game as a player-used decoration object (which is what I'm assuming this initiative is catering to), but in the case of player-based content (like the art for Baron Drocis' portrait), I'd love to hear how it made the journey from "outside" the internal Portalarium production pipe-line...to "inside" internal production pipe-line... The main reason this is especially interesting to me (and obviously to folks like Drocis, who would love to see more than merely framed pictures to hang on the wall being created by fellow players), is that a large part of this is preparing any piece that is made so that it passes through a process similar to the one we were trying to get online awhile back for player-generated content...

There were some original posts concerning crowd-sourcing (such as this one https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...crowdsourcing-of-the-avatar.2290/#post-127274), and though you fine folks may not be talking about going through something this complex with the kind of art you might be making, I'd love to see the process you guys have arranged to go through to get any artistic pieces you might create into our game!

Scottie ^_^

Elwyn, Leelu, Shadow and 8 others like this.
  16. Drocis the Devious

Years ago, I noticed that players like @Rufus D`Asperdi, @Sir Frank and others had commissioned @dloubet to create character portraits that were being used as forum avatars here in our community. I thought that was an excellent idea and decided to reach out to Denis to see if he would be interested in creating a portrait for my character. But then I got the idea that maybe I should first ask if he'd create just a 3Dish version of my character's head? I needed that for the custom Duke head reward.

This is the front version of what he created. I love it! I can't wait for it to make it into the game someday too.
    [​IMG]

But I still wanted the fancy character portrait that I originally contacted him for, so I asked if he could use the 3Dish head as a base for a portrait. I also expressed to him that my long term goal was to approach Portalarium to see if they would put it into the game as an asset.

Around this time last year, Portalarium held their final Duke Round Table event, a reward for those players that pledged at the Duke level. Coincidentally, Denis had finished work on my character portrait the day before this event. The round table was with Richard, Starr, and Chris, and I asked them directly if they would consider putting the character portrait in-game. But more importantly if they would consider developing a way for more artwork to enter the game through Denis and his amazing Draw My Character service. In my mind it was a natural fit to have an accomplished artist like Denis, who had already done so much work in the Ultima Series, as well as in the Shroud novel, The Sword of Midras, and some of the Shroud concept artwork.

So I put Richard, Starr and Chris on the spot in front of the other players at the round table. One of those players was @Mad Hatter. A picture is worth a thousand words though and Starr said something like "Let me see this thing." I handed him my cell phone and after a moment he said "oh, **** yeah!" After that the seed had been planted, and I believe the Portarlarium team did what they always do. They took an interesting idea, discussed it internally, and tried to figure out the best way to implement it. Since Denis was already working with them, and since we both agreed to have the portrait in-game. I think it was just a matter of sorting out how best to make that happen so that it would benefit the community and the game as a whole.

Several months passed and I found myself wondering if it would ever happen. @Chris seemed to think that the actual process of getting the picture into the game was super easy and would take less than an hour. But despite that it never seemed to happen, and eventually I started to ask about it on a monthly basis. I tried not to be annoying and would limit myself to one message per month, but each new release I'd ask again. Some months I was more disciplined than others. :)

Then finally just before a new release it happened, and Chris showed me a screen shot of it and told me he had called it something like "the grumpy hero". Since beggar's can't be choosers, I tried to roll with that name, but later explained that my wife thought it be funny if it were named "The Curmudgeon" since that's what she likes to call me in real life. Chris and others apparently liked that name because the day after the next release someone had discovered the portrait for sale in Ardoris and judging by the reactions in the forums the name was well received.

@Scottie So to answer your question, there wasn't originally a process. It was one person with an idea, Portarlarium listening and considering that idea, and the community reacting to the implementation of that idea. Now of course we have all kinds of player commissioned artwork in the game but still no actual process. It's all adhoc and that's what I believe the Fine Arts project will help with, in time.

I too look forward to seeing what they come up with. I have tremendous faith in @Mad Hatter to build a valuable framework for artists to share their work.

This piece was recently commissioned as a small thank you to @Attenwood for all of his hard work in QA. There was a noticeable difference in the amount of bugs that were fixed once he came on board. Of course, @Leostorm did an outstanding job bringing my ideas to life, and like many of his other work I hope it makes it into the game soon - hopefully under the new process!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  17. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

I just browbeat Chris until he bent to my will, which is probably why the Master of the Mint is too large to hang in most homes.

18. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I believe it's coming in R41?

[edit] NM, it looks to be a different painting.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    Time Lord likes this.
  19. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

It may be a little too new to make it into R41, as today is lockdown day.

Leelu and Time Lord like this.
  20. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

My mistake. It seems to be a different painting.

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.