Why did I love Ultima 7, and am 'meh' about SotA?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sir Cabirus, Mar 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

Is there a way to sell my SotA game account and to keep my forum account? To sell my game account together with my forum account is a no go for me.

Ice Queen and Cordelayne like this.
  2. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

You would obtain a new email address, create an account on this website with it, then buy a service token and request your pledge be moved to the new account. Then sell that new account.

smack, Sir Cabirus and Cordelayne like this.
  3. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Why did SotA go the route of the Kickstarter? To avoid the inevitable push to release before the game is ready by the publisher. (among other things)

UO has the same path as SotA. UO was released with no real story. Even more than that. A living world never existed in UO. SotA has a long way to go and I have a hard time seeing the level of detail we have been treated to in the past.

Ultima IV broke the mold. V, VI, and VII set the standard. SotA isn't holding up the legacy.

Deathadder, Grumpy, Kaisa and 3 others like this.
  4. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

I don't think you can do that anymore, I could be wrong but seem to remember there was a cutoff once we claimed our items in game after July last years persistence. I would check to make sure before doing this.

According to Lord Andernuts Post too.
    "5. Your LAST CHANCE to move a pledge to someone else is right up until you have claimed your rewards in-game. After this point, you will need to trade items in-game instead of with a pledge move request."
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...-a-pledge-read-this-player-guide-first.12907/

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  5. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

Ice Queen likes this.
  6. Deathadder

Deathadder Avatar

Out of all the post I have read, you nailed it dead on!

Dantuin, Ice Queen and Lord_Darkmoon like this.
  7. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

This is a great thread.

@Sir Cabirus, I would recommend you to keep your account, and sell goods, lots, etc. You could keep the account and the forum access and come back to see the game in the future. I'm one of those who really believes about a big change of this game in the future.

8. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

@Rada Torment I'm still uncertain if I should sell my account or not. This is a very hard decision for me. I'm still a huge fan of Richard Garriott's work and believe me, I wish SotA all the best. And this is the reason why I'm still here, despite some disappointments. But sometimes things happen and I think, huh, this is the wrong way. This is if course just my opinion but I think also about the money I could loose if the game is a failure at the end of the day and in the worst case the server is shut down. Sometimes I see a big farewell party in my mind - with dancing but sad people like in Tabula Rasa. I do not want to be a drama queen and overstretch this thread with my feelings. It is just a very hard decision for me.

9. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Me too

Sir Cabirus and Stahlknecht like this.
  10. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Dont do it, i forsee you would eat your top heat like Dagobert Duck or need to train some snake womens skills to bite yourself in your... :eek::D

What would you win other than some money?

11. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

One of the things that makes SotA different to Tabula Rasa (I also played TR from beginning) is that right now Richard and Starr are creating the game they always wanted, without any third hands, and this is not very common to see in this industry. They had NCsoft behind, and even if you saw RG inside the team, that doesn't mean he was in charge of everything.

I won't put a judgment here, this is just my opinion, but I really think NCsoft used Richard as a big brand. Now, with Portalarium, is something they really own and a very different story fortunately.

I`m agree with you about what we want to see in SotA. We love UO but SotA must be something more, something better! we deserve it. I think Richard will not leave this ship without put the heart and soul into this project :)

If you decide to go, good luck my friend! Ultima games are immortal.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  12. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I was in TR Beta 6 Month before launch and played the game up to 3 Month before it shut down.
    I couldnt stand it and doesnt want to join a shut down Party.
    It was the mmo i had the most hours in since and SotA is the game i have the most hours in since TR.
    I loved it so much.

Rada Torment likes this.
  13. Stahlknecht

Stahlknecht Avatar

@Sir Cabirus
    In my opinion, it would be a big loss if you leave. They made a great progress in the last, let's say, 3/4 year. And you know, they can't implement a great Story and Quests, when they are still changing and expanding the world. They've made a lot of mistakes and wrong gamedesign choices in the past, but they have changed it for the better.

I believe in RG and on the other hand, this is his last shot. If he fails on this he won't be able to crowdfund/finance any further title.

And what if SOTA will become the Game of your dreams, and you, one of his biggest fans, striked the flag to early? How does that feel?
    I dont think u need the money, so stay!

(sry, for my fucked up english)

Sir_Michael, Stundorn, Jens_T and 2 others like this.
  14. mercster

mercster Avatar

Because at the time of Ultima 7's release, it was a masterpiece. You have an emotional attachment to the time, place, and specifics of that game. You're many years older and things change.

Stahlknecht and Stundorn like this.
  15. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

A masterpiece will not become worse, only because time goes by. Maybe this can happen with the graphics but surely not with the good told story and the living immersive world.

Dantuin, Rada Torment, Kaisa and 2 others like this.
  16. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

That only answers part of his question. ;)

Ice Queen likes this.
  17. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

Actually I think fancy 3d graphics ruin it for me, never been as immersed in a 3d game as in a 2d game. Maybe cause my brain fills in less blanks i dno really.
    To date I feel more connected with the character I'm playing in Heroes of might and magic 3 than my SotA character :/ (homm3 not even being a persistent character for those that didn't know)

18. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

I cannot see the question ;) Furthermore nobody knows at what time I played Ultima 7 and what my emotional attachments were at this time. I doubt that my feelings about the state of SotA needs a psychological evaluation.

19. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I'd suggest an attempt to get Port to do another Kickstarter for a single player game but it would probably take another 20 years to release.

20. CrandalltheFoole

CrandalltheFoole Avatar

If you decide to part out the account, the only things I would be interested in is the Dev+ access and the town lot. Not sure if the Dev+ access can be separated from the account.
    I agree that the wipes were frustrating, and the progress seemed very slow, but there is a lot of complexity and variety I am finding in the game. I look forward to many years of enjoyment and fellowship through guild activities.
    Good luck on your decision.

Cordelayne likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.