Mob drops

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gnarxly, Aug 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Almar

Almar Avatar

Love the teleport stone idea!

majoria70 likes this.
  2. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

3. cyathome

cyathome Avatar

Sota needs named mobs who drop nice loot, badly... there are plenty of nice things they could drop that are not weapons or armor so crafting is unaffected.

4. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

@Chris knows the loot sux. It's partially by current design. I don't get it though. What they did was change the dura on the items that dropped because of some fear that it was having a negative impact on the economy. What makes no sense is that you damned near have to buy gold on the open market to survive until you're level 90+ and then voila! Artifact farming. Visit the trade channel on discord and look at the eye popping amounts of $ being asked, and gotten for that stuff. I just fail to see how making it such a grind for 90 levels can be viewed as "fun".

Snikorts, Ice Queen, Rinaldi and 2 others like this.
  5. Cobra101

Cobra101 Avatar

I asked about the seeming lack of loot progression a while back in the New Player forum.
    The general response was that loot itemisation is a relatively easy thing to sort out and is not a priority before launch.

I'm sure that is true but it is obvious from the number of times the subject gets raised that it is having an impact on people's playing experience.
    Yes we're in early access and have to click the "Construction Site" button to log in but we've got conflicting objectives in play.
    They want lots of people to try the game, like it, and buy in to boost the revenue stream.
    At the same time they want those people to be understanding about the unfinished nature of things.

I think its a big ask and the danger is that if too many people try and don't buy then we won't have critical mass at launch.

I enjoy crafting myself and I'm making my own gear as I go. Sure I could grind cash and buy much better but I prefer it my way. One day I may be able to afford to make decent stuff. I'm not in any hurry.
    I don't see any reason to grant crafters a license to make money by offering no competition from loot but if that's the design objective I can live with it.

What would be relatively easy to implement would be a skull-based multiplier and some simple tiers of loot. Eg a 1-skull scene has bandits with median 10g and rusty weapons, a 2-skull goes up to 2 x 10g (20g!) median and "battered" weapons - something that still isn't as good as a crafter can make but is only a name change and a value multiplier for sale to NPC. 3-skull 3x etc... (except it would have to be exponential of course)

EQ did it a long time ago with non-magical weapon drops gradually increasing in resale value but still nothing you'd use yourself.

I think what I want is some visible sign that I'm making progress.

Solazur likes this.
  6. Almar

Almar Avatar

I don't understand the reasoning behind not have good loot. How can it affect the existing economy? All we'll do is swap gold for loot amongst ourselves, gold that already exists and seems infinite, if appearing at a slow pace.

So how is that messing with the economy long term?

BTW, I'm not an economist - I'm a designer.

Solazur and Ice Queen like this.
  7. Evilgamer

Evilgamer Avatar

It steps on crafters toes. Crafters don't like their toes stepped on. Look at any time an actual useful artifact is added, you always have "why can't I make a 25int cap".

At a minimum the scaling of loot. Needs to change. You get flush with cash at high level because you can kill a lot of yard trash, not because you can kill hard stuff.

8. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

The loot tables are great! 16gp when we looted Nefario last night! That's 4 gp a piece. Woo hoo! Scrooge McDuck swimming in gold coins time!

9. neveser

neveser Avatar

The looting in this game reminds me of Charlie Brown's Halloween... "I got a rock."

Seriously though the loot disappointment has nearly killed my appetite for this game. SotA is turning out to be 2nd Life in Medievalville. There's no excitement to the game. Part of adventuring is the looting. I don't get the same excitement from gathering the raw materials to make a spool of thread as I do from getting a nice weapon or magic ring from a tough fight. SotA is severally lacking in the adventuring department.

I feel like I'm wandering through a world full of rusty tin cans, gum wrappers, and cigarette butts. Mountains of trash everywhere with nothing to find meaning no reason to play.

Oyjord Hansen, Almar, Solazur and 2 others like this.
  10. pyro660

pyro660 Avatar

Maybe there should be some special (rare) crafting components that drop as loot. In order to use said rare components, a highly skilled crafter would need to be engaged. The resulting item could have a special glow, more detailed makers mark, unique descriptions, possibly even rare and unusual attribute bonuses. No reason that cool loot should create a negative impact for crafters. On the contrary, cool loot could be an opportunity for crafters.

Oyjord Hansen, Almar and majoria70 like this.
  11. Ao Soliwilos

Ao Soliwilos Avatar

Artifacts are world-drop items that can drop from anything, albeit the weaker the enemy, the smaller the chance is. I have gotten artifacts from the undead in deep ravenswood some times. Should be said that I have killed many, many, many.. of them and as such the drop rate of artifacts there is very small.

12. Almar

Almar Avatar

Indeed, I almost feel I'm just here for the 'crafters' - no offence, I appreciate your work guys! However, the loot table is poor to protect crafting, armour/weapon decay up to protect crafting.

I feel I'm being penalised for playing - let's not even talk about XP, death or taxes!

I'm a part time crafter, but a full time adventurer. At the moment I feel there is too much emphasis on looking after crafting and not on actually making the game fun. As an avatar in this game I should feel mighty!

My non playing SotA friends wonder why I waste time on a game that penalises me at every turn. They have a point. SotA is in danger of going down the wrong road, making a beautiful game that just isn't fun to play.

This is still advanced Beta really, I hope the dev team look at what is happening and manage to make this game FUN before it's too late to go back.

Oyjord Hansen, Ice Queen and Snikorts like this.
  13. NZguzzi

NZguzzi Avatar

No, it's the worst loot system ever created.
    Here, let me hold the nail for you .........

Ice Queen likes this.
  14. NZguzzi

NZguzzi Avatar

SoTa will soon learn with the new MMO's like Albion Online, Black Desert Online that you must reward the player for their time and efforts.
    SoTa does not do this.
    I also started to feel like I had done something wrong by logging in to play.
    Every update taking more and more away from the casual gamer.
    It is frustrating to see the path SoTa has taken, but it no longer matters to me because other games are doing it so much better.
    Unhappy customers shop elsewhere.
    The die hard ultima players will have the game they want, and casual players will have other games they can play.
    Everyone wins

15. Almar

Almar Avatar

I do hope this lesson is learnt sooner rather than later. I don't want to see the potential of SotA squandered.

NZguzzi likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.