Fishing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pyro660, Apr 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pyro660

pyro660 Avatar

Is anyone else wishing the fishing update could hurry up and get here?

Really hoping this can get squeezed in sooner rather than later

2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes I am very much. It needs the update before release along with agriculture and an achievement system, and many more quests. Also Quests to connect the world and give another reason to play.

For fishing it needs more bait types that catch different fish and it needs many more types of fish along with description and weight of these fish. It needs better fish food recipes to compete with other types of food.

Also fishing in different places and areas for different types of fish and fishing Quests that have you fish and have you to hunt for different fish all over our game world.

Along with these types of fish you fish up interesting loot like Message in a Bottle with a clue or treasure map which means it's a good time to get treasure hunting in or some first iteration of it. ;) Also water life and creatures perhaps sharks or man eating plant life. Later when boats come in we could have our sea serpent or
    Kraken type creatures.

Also the fishing mechanic needs to be updated so it's not so boring perhaps you need to press the spacebar when you hear that you have a bite and see that you have a bite to reel it in at the very least and perhaps the animation of you actually taking the fish to make it look cooler.

I'd like to see more than that for the mechanics, but at this point it would be a beginning. Also fish could be crafted to make fertilizer for our garden to make them grow better and along with the batch planting growing things definitely needs more interest as well.

So my great wishes that we do these things in game before release. So we keep bringing it up;)

And @Devs don't forget ice fishing for the snowy biomes. ;)
    Edit I meant to say fertilizer not manure;)

Edited

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  3. Thexedor Markhamm

Thexedor Markhamm Avatar

A-G-R-I-C-U-L-T-U-R-E :p

4. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

I am hoping Fishing gets a lot of attention before release, yet may be just before Release ... and I hope the Devs could consider Fishing as one of their most creative systems made for Episode One How and why?

Well, because Fishing can rely on and integrate into so many things (cooking, agriculture, time of day, season, celestial, types of bait, types of poles, skill types, and more). As such, those systems are important to be mature before Fishing is connected and finished. In fact, I think that if Fishing is the LAST big system they create before launch, and get debugged and balanced ... essentially from the ground up ... that would be GREAT! Almost like a fishing simulator (e.g. Fishing Planet) so the hugely detailed fishing player-based cult, er fans, can form with tournaments, food, fish tales, fishing guides to secret fishing spots, how to sense the schools of fish, the spawning times, and more.

As long as Fishing isn't rushed as an after- or end-thought for the Launch, I think it can be great!

5. pyro660

pyro660 Avatar

I guess everyone hopes all systems are well thought out and balanced before implementation. Unfortunately, things dont always work the way they were envisioned

I had my hopes up 2 releases back when fishing was supposed to get its 'big' update. To me, fishing is super important because of the UO genes. In UO, fishing was at the core of so much fun and entertainment. I'd say UO fishing is the standard for mmo fishing. As such, I hope an incredible fishing update that re-defines the mmo standard for fishing reaches us sooner rather than later.

I agree Winfield - the fishing system needs to be a core system that connects to many other skills / systems already in the game and some that may not be (but should be - think treasure maps :cool:).

6. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I also totaly agree with Lord Winfield on this issue. As pyr0660 points out, UO was a standard setting fishing game for all later MMO's that followed. The same could be said about UO agriculture. Both of these features are some of the most anticipated of our game, as clearly pointed out within the numerous interviews inquiring to Lord British at so many different events such as DragonCon.

But also, we must first look at other current MMO fishing and agriculture games in order to have a clear view of what is possible. I've found it very difficult to see many advancements within both of these issues on the market. "There's only so much that can be done in advancement", yet I also feel that there is a very clear ego at work on our SOTA system of both. Ego always builds the first base where all else can then be added to them. "The base must come first", and I don't think we have seen much of a base made within our game yet, "because that base must be trend setting". We have seen this same proses at work within most all of SOTA's creation, where our programers must take the lead before anything can be added to them or dreamed of with much accuracy.

While there hasn't been that much advancement within MMO agriculture or fishing games, this does not reflect a lack of vision given to them, yet points out that growing and fishing up things is a very strait forward simplistic endevor, "other than the way UO fishing and agriculture first advanced them".

What we see in fishing and agriculture right now, I'm certain are only placeholders which promise us all that they are coming in a greatly detailed way.
    EP1, I believe will show us only the base of what is to come, but a base we can then dream of more from.
    Time Lord

Winfield, Bushmaster and Stahlknecht like this.
  7. ikickbutt

ikickbutt Avatar

Remember fishing wasn't exactly complicated when first release:-

(Old LB quote)

The Fisherman

One day, I was walking along the banks of a small river. I was doing so *invisible* so that I would just wander and observe the world we had created. Along the bank, I saw a man dressed clearly as a fisherman, repeatedly casting into the water and setting his catch in tidy rows along the bank. I was struck by how much fun he was having in spite of the thin fishing simulation, which was merely 50% catch a fish each cast.

After a few minutes a warrior walked by wearing plate armor and caring large weapons. When he saw the poor fisherman, he strutted over, and said something like: “Poor fisherman, I see you are without weapons and armor. I am a great warrior and have just returned from the dungeons with great bounty, I would gladly share it with you to help you up from your station.” With that he began to lay out valuables along the bank, as gifts for the poor fisherman.

The fisherman replied: “Warrior, take back your implements of violence! I am a fisherman! What need have I of swords and armor. You call me poor, but every day I sit by a beautiful riverbank, watching the world and catching my fish. Every evening I take my catch to town and sell it, then retire into the pub to share drinks and stories with my friends. I live a rich life! Be gone ruffian!” And with that the warrior huffed and went on his way.

This was the day, where I knew we were creating something of more transcendent power than I had expected before.

– Richard

(source https://uo.com/2012/09/28/memorable-moments-from-richard-garriot/ )

8. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I love it. Thanks for sharing. @Lord British2. This is a wonderful story. Fishing is important to this game as well. :)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    Winfield likes this.
  9. mercster

mercster Avatar

I am worried for fishing :-( Pushed back so many times...but ah well. I realize it is not a core game system. Will keep fingers crossed!

Winfield and majoria70 like this.
  10. Tiki Pirate

Tiki Pirate Avatar

I've been patiently waiting on the fishing update as well. I do believe the devs are frying bigger fish at the moment.

Still here is my list of wants for fishing if they are reading:

1. Skill based to some degree (Reel in on a bobber bounce)
    2. Greater integration with other crafts (fish as fertilizer for Ag, ingredient for pirate grog, etc..)
    3. Astro/Time based (Make common fish easy to catch... rare/hard fish require the right time of day and moon phase)
    4. Sushi Recipes! Fish and chips too!
    5. Treasure maps, message in bottles, shark tooth necklaces, mermaids, and the like.
    6. Different baits for different locations and/or fish targeted.
    7. Some time/date/weight stamp on rare fish for fishing tournament integration. (Or other system to help verify catches during tournaments)

...patiently waiting by my favorite fishing hole... pass me another grog...

Winfield, Luca Xante and majoria70 like this.
  11. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

We definitely think a like ;)

Winfield and Luca Xante like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.