Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Ghosts

Discussion in 'Release 41 Feedback Forum' started by Arlin, Apr 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arlin

Arlin Avatar

How am I supposed to fight these? Their dodge rate is insane, I barely do any damage now, and all they do is drain life so fast I can only just barely keep up if I spam abilities. I know Chris mentioned in his blog he nerfed ghost defenses, is that not live?

Fionwyn Wyldemane likes this.
  2. Retlaw

Retlaw Avatar

Not live, due first patch.

3. Arlin

Arlin Avatar

Oh thank god.

4. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

Ghosts magic resistance is currently bugged.

5. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

hahahahaha i was gonna make this post

50% dodge rate . 40% glancing blow rate?! lol took entirely too long to kill em. But glad a fix is in.

6. Gurney2

Gurney2 Avatar

Killing a ghost with melee is just a joke anyway .... Seriously, did you ever try to catch smoke with your hands ??? I allways wondered where was the logical behind that stupidity >> Killing a "spiritual" entity with a physical Attack = NON SENSE !!
    @Chris and co.

7. uhop

uhop Avatar

How is it supposed to work? Just magic? Any magic? Specific magic?

In general, I am a fan of personalized ways to fight different mobs, but our system is not set up for that: when in combat, we have a grand choice of two (count it: 2) combat bars. "No big deal: just turn the combat mode off, and select your two combat bars out of many!" The problem is, we do not control sitching modes. As long as my avatar is hit (or perceived to be hit), he is in the combat mode, and I cannot manipulate combat bars. Of course, there is an option of fleeing, hiding, waiting out when a bar switches from the combat mode, select what needed, and go back again, but it is not always possible, nor practical.

Just to give a taste: I play a melee character. A melee character sucks against ranged characters (archers and mages). With my only GM in blades, 3-4 ranged guys are likely to kill me, especially if they are assisted by a melee guy, who roots me for them. Even if all of them are green, I am likely to be killed. Yet, an archer fares usually better, so my alternative combat mode is an archer. If "Killing a "spiritual" entity with a physical Attack = NON SENSE" (BTW, your point sounds reasonable to me) --- I have no space on my two combat bars for anything special.

Again, an example: I try to learn some combat magic and add some (literally a glyph or two) to my existing bars. Unfortunately the efficiency of that is close to 0. Some magic works against undead, but absolutely useless against anything else. Earth magic is pretty efficient, but it is not working against earth elementals, which I see constantly in mines (and I go there frequently). Ditto for fire, water, air, and corresponding elementals. The point is, I cannot cater for all possible cases:
    • Magic bar: let's put everything there for all cases. Sounds good, but I already have Melee bar, and Archery bar. Which one to replace? Especially given that my avatar is much better at melee/archery than at magic. I am skipping "small" issues, like having different sets of armor and weapons to make it work.
    • Permutations: let's create a melee bar with 1-2 magic glyphs to find undead, another one to fight earth elementals (a frequent case for me), another one to fight everybody but earth elementals. Even with this limited setup I will need: a) 3 melee bars, b) advanced knowledge to know, which enemies I will encounter, c) select a bar before a fight.
      • I have likely to have the same permutations for an archery bar as well.
      • It looks like with the permutation technique I will run out of bars soon.
      • It requires some insight about a roaster of enemies I can encounter.
        • There are impossible configurations, like different types of elementals, including earth elementals.
        • Add undead to the mix and I am stumped, which bars to select.
      • If I want to change a configuration of my main glyphs for a melee (e.g., in response to devs nerfing something, and they do it on weekly basis), now I have to update not one, but several bars, to keep them in sync, and to keep me sane.
    All in all, I see your point, I am not sure it is practical. Having all builds the ability to prevail over any enemy by having high enough skills sounds more realistic to me.

PS: Fighting earth elementals (basically live rocks) with a sword does not make sense either --- a sword will be broken almost immediately, with an elemental being barely scratched. They are likely to like it. No to polearms. Blunt instruments to crush them --- that's more realistic. Arrows? Nah. Magic? I know rocks: they don't care about fire, nor water, nor air, nor light. So, no regular magic can hurt them. Bummer.

PPS: Please no "in eons wind will make sand out of mountains". The key word here is "eons". We need to destroy them faster than that, preferably in seconds. The same goes for water and fire.

8. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I use various situational decks, switch them if needed in combat mode while running and deal with the fact i cannot manage every Situation!

For example.
    I'm running with my standard deck whats "good" against bandit melee's and archers.
    When a mage occours, i swap to the deck with douse to better stand the fire.
    When a undead mage occours i swap to the deck with douse, celestial blessing and ban undead.
    When a Water or Ice Elemental occours i swap to the deck with Air, because i usually use Watermagic.
    When a Wolf or Beat occours i want to avoid, o swap to the deck with animal charm....

I allways have to leave other glyphs out for that. Maybe it's Evasion or Def Stance or Aetheric Feedback, Ice fist for Ban Undead or both Ice Damage Spells for Air Damage Spells (one day i will carry a second and third set of equipment with different boni to support Air/ Life spells with me and instantly switch the gear with the deck.
    (Woah thats "exploiting the system"
    as i often criticise and shouldnt be possible, but anyway).

9. uhop

uhop Avatar

I do too. In my case "various situational decks" means specifically 2 (two). And I do switch "in the combat mode while running" using X between those two. I don't know any other way to switch decks, because Y doesn't allow me to switch decks, while in combat.

I counted 4-5 decks. Could you explain, step-by-step, how exactly do you switch between them in combat mode while running?

If you have just two with magic glyphs for all (most) cases, where do you keep glyphs I mentioned in the beginning: melee and archery? On my combat deck I have at least 4 slots pooled for the major skill (melee or archery) + 2 locked glyphs for healing --- that turned out to be a good combination for me. So I have 4 vacant glyphs, which unfortunately not that vacant --- I have to keep Knight's Grace and Body Slam locked on practically every deck too. I wonder how you solve this problem, and design a deck.

Or did you mean two purely magic decks with no physical skills? I guess I can construct those, but it is a totally different build --- a pure mage or almost pure mage (e.g., archer/mage --- melee/mage as a viable build sounds unlikely, not completely impossible, but unlikely).

10. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I just can to the one alternate set deck.
    If i run in an unawared situation i flee, set the apropriate alternate and fight again.
    I until need not more than 2.
    Deep Ravenswood for example i switch between the ban undead and charm animal to get rid of animal ads maybe.

And yes i am pure Mage. I dont use any physical beside my Bludgeon skill is 80 to make some additional damage with the Staff in close combat.

All decks are 5-5-18

1-3 dynamic 2 attacks
    4-5 2 heals (Ray and Grace)
    5-10 are Static
    Mostly 6 Aetheric Feedback
    7-9 the Stat Buffs
    0 charm animal / douse/ icefield/ blink...

11. uhop

uhop Avatar

:(

Thank you for sharing the deck configuration.

12. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

I guess it would depend upon the physical item used in the attack.

Many books I've read relate problems spiritual entities experience when hit by weapons made from iron. Calling it an evil metal. And if the weapon is enchanted / masterworked, it may not be the physical 'hit' that damages the entity but the additional characteristics to the weapon actually causes them damage.

One book described spiritual entities being harmed by iron. If I recall properly, it affected them like iron affects anything magnetic. And It draws energy from them causing them pain and injury.

uhop likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.