who needs griefers with a crafting system like this

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ship2, May 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ship2

ship2 Avatar

Whoever dreamed up this system of breaking things when you craft them.. I hate you.

2. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

That'd be @Chris.

He feeds on hate.

3. ship2

ship2 Avatar

clearly an evil souless person.

4. Norah East

Norah East Avatar

Well he must feel overstuffed now from feeding on hate! Chris please look into this setup!
    I hate you also.

5. MongooseOne

MongooseOne Avatar

I have always been a crafter in all the MMOs I played. The recent trend of crafting being RNG based with item exploding when upgrading is annoying as hell.

It's the main reason I left ArcheAge and will eventually push me away from here I fear.

6. Timmy Vortex

Timmy Vortex Avatar

it reminds me of a certain Korean grinder, which one was it again..

ah wait..nearly all of them :p

7. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Its a simple fix.

Instead of blowing a item up, when they RND a low number... give them a cruddy enchant. Limit the number of total enchants by skill:

1-60 = 1
    60-100 = 2
    100-140 = 3

This way, at least we can sell the item at a discount rate (thats probably still 1/5th the cost of mats to make it).

8. Innascual Inch

Innascual Inch Avatar

Or we could salvage it to get some mats back.

Great idea!

9. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

ya, great idea, your skill level determines how many mats you get back

0-20: 5%
    20-40: 10%
    40-60: 15%
    60-80 20%
    80-100 25%
    100-120 30%
    120-140 35%
    140-160 (ya right)

10. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

or if it fails... you just lose durability... :D

if you keep failing, you keep losing durability until you can no longer try because of low durability... :D if that happens, you then either salvage it or sell it CHEAP...

edit: you also lose the gold or silver used... higher level, lesser chance of losing gold or silver...

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  11. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

And then when you got a cruddy enchanted product we could then salvage that same item for a few of our resources back. We are really missing this piece. It is all about fail or succeed, there is no middle ground;) like get a few resources back or craft a lesser piece of armor fine for beginners to start with and also if desired it could be salvageable for getting some valuable resources back.;)

12. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Getting materials back isn't really going to help matters, unless you got nearly everything you invested at high skill. The system is incredibly wasteful. I could see losing the gold/silver - this is already gonna cost you thousands. I see no reason for the item to break permenatly. Just torch it 5 dura and try again. Eventually there's a hard limit -the max dura of the item. And even then with the far too many options in the pool you still wont be guaranteed to get what you want. I have never understood why we needed to blow up gear, or, if it we do need to blow it up, we shouldn't be blowing it up at GM skill or particularly at lvl 120 which is FIVE TIMES the xp to achieve GM skill. I mean cmon.

Cypher Black, Snikorts, Kaisa and 3 others like this.
  13. Grimbone

Grimbone Avatar

Losing something whether it be the items you are crafting or the xp you gained adventuring are 2 features that have zero fun value. I get it from a risk vs reward standpoint but too much risk vs reward can feel overbearing.

Xandra7, Snikorts, Kaisa and 6 others like this.
  14. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I hear you, but we get nothing back was my point, nada, nothing but a few scraps ;) *whining here* ;)

and edit this. Yes getting some resources back would help a little if that was all we could get. You spend tons of ore making white iron, you want an ingot or so back. I vote for more than the ingots though as mentioned ;)

Last edited: May 1, 2017
    Ravicus Domdred and Stundorn like this.
  15. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Exactly. You can attempt to make an item using resources it took you a week to gather/acquire, and have nothing to show for it. Not even being greedy, you can end up with nothing useful and nothing's sellable for a fraction of the value. This is stupid.

16. Shade Baneborn

Shade Baneborn Avatar

I want to craft. I want to make amazing awesome creative items...
    I've been learning and training. Finally got where I can enchant weapons/armor and facet gems...making tables and fireplaces and that's all cool.

But now also having been stung a few times from the failure rate/consequences I have to say for me - at least at this point - there is very little incentive to craft items when I can spend less (time and resources!) and buy way better items from vendors.

The crafting experience itself offers no incentive beyond watching the progress bar. By the time I gather all the resources, then gold ore, then refine all that etc....there just isn't much payoff there when after all that work I lose everything and then still also have no item.

I'm sure I will keep training and keep crafting...I am just a glutton for punishment and it does give me something to do...but yeah, it takes Courage to talk about the Truth that crafting needs some Love.

17. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Gathering ores for 2 days now to make this 88 wires for the harpsichord.
    After that i pause.
    Iirc it's 704 ore's
    or 352 ore's and 4224 Metal crap.
    The wood is less, but not so less that it wouldnt take you some hours.

If it would break, it would maybe the last thing i tried to craft.

I seriously want to start crafting as i am now able to mine solo, but i'm really afraid of it and the Frustration if something breakes that i need a week to gather the mats for o_O:(:eek:

Ariella Shadowdancer likes this.
  18. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Base crafting isn't risky like that. If you "fail", you lose the fuel and try again.

Only masterworking and enchanting causes items to explode. Needlessly. Repeatedly. Frustratingly.

19. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

Everyone should have the best gear and be able to craft it at a low level. And also we should all get free pet dragons that can take on tier 8 mobs. OOOOh and Castles for everyone!!!!

Stahlknecht and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  20. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

LOL, I do see the humor in this, and I think low levels do need to work their way up. But for casual players they will never reach the fulcrum of the game with this system. This system does favor the hardcore players that can play multiple hours per day, 7 days a week. Those of us that are not able to put those hours in will never reach those upper levels because it takes so much time to get there, and more time if you have to recover decay. Like I said, lower levels should not be able to have those things you mentioned, but they should someday be able to. This is why I am anti decay and pro hard caps, because the casual gamer can eventually achieve greatness. You cannot in this system, especially if you are a single player online person like me that can only play 10 to 15 hours per week, due to work, RL friends, family, and RL fishing. :)

Mortanius, Stundorn, Kaisa and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.