Is SotA casual friendly?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stundorn, Mar 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben_Hroth

Ben_Hroth Avatar

Thanks for the twitch stream, @2112Starman, just reviewing your last stream... did you find the new T6 Lich in Sequanna Colossus? How did it go, is it going to help adventurers who are tired of Deep Ravenswood? How does one summon them?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  2. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

They are pretty easy as an earth mage. I have a harder time when the warrior version of the lich pops up.

The lich and the skels around them are the 1000-1500 hp variety and they spawn 24x7, you can camp the spot (I cant yet, I have to pull because I cant take more then 2 at a time and have to be fully buffed).

I have pulled artifacts from them but its rare.

3. Ben_Hroth

Ben_Hroth Avatar

I might be wrong, that kinda sounds like the normal Lichs in that zone (like the one in the house).

I meant from R39 Release Notes, highlighted in green below. A supreme Lich Lord? I couldn't find the Necropolis Barrens insanely wicked spiders either.

• Tier 6+ Additions: Inspired by the Liches in Deep Ravenswood we are going to be adding pockets of higher level enemies (Tier 6-10) to all 5 Skull (aka Tier 5) maps. Some of these will always be present but some will only be there when triggered by an event or interaction (like lighting a signal fire). Each release we will add these to a few maps until all Tier 5 maps have been covered.
    • Ulfheim: The fiercest of the Northern Barbarians have firmly established Ulfheim as their home. Find them at Urdhalla near the center of this territory.
    • Sequanna Colossus: A supreme Lich Lord and his undead guards are striking fear in nearby areas.
    • Necropolis Barrens: Rumors abound that at night insanely wicked spiders appear to wreak havoc on the unwary who dare tread here. Their domain is now thick with the webs they use to capture their prey.
    • Verdantis Shardfall: An elite squad of Elves has set up headquarters on an island off the coast.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  4. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I haven't heard or seen any super lich in the zone. Those skels and that lich showed up in R39 (the area used to be the 400 hp type skels and lichs).

hroth likes this.
  5. Ben_Hroth

Ben_Hroth Avatar

Got it. Attenwood mentioned that the super spiders were T10, but reading the Release Notes carefully it looks like the new content can be anywhere from T6 through T10, so I guess the Lich you described is the new content. Thanks!

Ravicus Domdred and Lord-Galiwyn like this.
  6. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

It certainly is a fair concern- but isn't this essentially addressed by the logarithmic growth curve along with the death penalty?

I mean- the amount of XP it would take to go from lvl 100 to 120 in the skill vs the relatively minimal gain in effectiveness renders such a difference essentially meaningless, except for hardcore PvP situations.

7. mass

mass Avatar

This puts a soft cap on total power, but does not alleviate the issue that the method to acquire that power essentially boils down to the total number of clicks or button presses completed in game by doing the same thing over and over again. There's not nearly as much reward in terms of character advancement for game knowledge, questing, decorating, role playing, puzzle solving, exploring, defeating unique encounters, ect., as there is for bashing the same mob over the head for 20 hours a day. That's why the game feels grindy.

8. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Ahh gotcha. Yes there could definitely be more variety in terms of tangible rewards for players engaging in those other activities.

Ravicus Domdred, Solazur and mass like this.
  9. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

I am definitely not holding out hope that any of this will make it into the scope for Episode 1.

However, I think a start could be made by flushing out the Purchase Order system.

As it stands, I'm not sure many players are even aware of it, much less use it. Seems like there is a foundation there for player-funded "daily" quests.

Currently, there is a very limited number of items that can be placed in a Purchase Order, and there isn't any clear rhyme or reason to it that I can discern.

10. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

So, about my problems again...
    i buyed a Mastercraft Staff, looks cool with Elven Pattern and i remanaged my deck, but i remanage my decks since day one :D.
    Because i didnt find a good flow until while fighting mobs.

Now i've made it.

I only use Icearrow now as my Damage Spell and combine Def Stance with Spellbinder Stance or i kite with icefield (what makes Spellbinder stance disappear)
    Iceshield always on for atunement.
    Dont use Earth Embrace or Dodge anymore, just less glyphs and in comparison it seems i actually dont need them.

The Boost of the Staff for me is Damage, base and critical and what i've learned from what Archers ingame do and what i've read in the forums is about damage to kill quickly.
    I actually prefer this focused damage over AoE damage spells.

Now i can kill more quickly what is really a huge improvement.
    Didnt test it in all situation but in the Foothills i kill a lot faster now and can restock my gold after the buy. ;)

11. Ben_Hroth

Ben_Hroth Avatar

That's the spirit! Lots of time in the Gap to figure out new skill with the deck system. I forgot to mention that low card counts in the low 20s are usually a good idea..
    Especially with the increase in possible decks in R40!

Ravicus Domdred and Stundorn like this.
  12. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Yes, i always had decks with 20-30 glyphs.
    Many Month ago i build up with more and more and figured out this doesnt work because the redraw became more and more bad. That was the time before i choose to give the english boards a try (bc germanspeaking and although you mybe think my english isnt that bad, i not always understand things right from the scratch and maybe tell wrong things too :confused:).
    The above mentioned deck has just 18 glyphs and 4 locked. And seems to be my new Basic deck from where i can manage
    So easy to add additionall spells if needed. More Def or Ban Undead or buffs. I had the Buffs earlier in the deck, but i try to buff before, than fight and dont have the fights take much longer as buffs are on.
    Im no going to push Stats and innates and need 1 skillpoint to have self healing and 2 points to have the HoT at 80.
    Ray is already.
    I think while concentrating on passives now as the damage spell is already 80 and the only one (except ban undead) i will have a good improvement in what i am doing. But of course this will take some time, i think the whole Summer :p
    As they are all around 50 now.
    Doubled Pool the last two days to 300k, and just have 1 spell on learn.
    Important is there is a light at the end of the tunnel now and my desperation is somewhat gone, although i still think they really need to improve loot tables and make fighting more rewarding.

I would like to have some Helly Bandits in the Drachvald Region. Vauban Foothills maybe @Chris :rolleyes:

Ravicus Domdred and Mykll like this.
  13. Yog

Yog Avatar

I must to doing something wrong in game. I was away for a while and since coming back I can't even kill anything in a 1 skull zone. This is very frustrating and makes me just want to quit and move on to a more fun game. It was always difficult which I liked the challenge but if I can't even see any progress then there is no point.

Stundorn, Kaisa and zyxe like this.
  14. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

Hello Yog,

welcome back and just try the new outskirts near Solace Bridge :)

15. CrandalltheFoole

CrandalltheFoole Avatar

Sadly, I find myself to not be one of those people.

Xandra7, Mykll, Sir_Michael and 2 others like this.
  16. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Welcome back Yog! Let us know more of your background of skills, weapon of choice, etc. Curious to know what you are using since coming back.

Might be best to put this in a separate thread as well.

Stundorn and Sir_Michael like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.