SotA secures Russian publisher

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by smack, May 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Serena Strangelove

Serena Strangelove Avatar

It's sad really .... so much amazing history associated with it

Jaanelle DeJure and FrostII like this.
  2. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

We don't come here for that. What happens in politics should stay in politics.
    Political "anything" does not need to be within our game's forums.
    Lets not divide our gaming by any lines that are not in our game.
    There's allot of hate in the world caused by silly people.
    "Thank You Very Much", or get ready for censorship.
    It's just that way and been that way here in SOTA.
    ~Time Lord~

StarLord, Stahlknecht, psteg and 6 others like this.
  3. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

sometimes we need a little humor... let us not get too uptight

Chatele, Mykll, Time Lord and 2 others like this.
  4. TEK1

TEK1 Avatar

So effectively there will be a "wipe" at launch with the new Russian server? Will they be selling POTs for this entire new world along, COTOs, addon store items etc?

yinki likes this.
  5. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

They made a player rename his character 'Stinky Britches' because britches was too close to a derogatory term, which is within their right.

But this is the slippery slope to censorship?

Mykll likes this.
  6. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

That seems like a very impressive game title to have been trusted with and was a successful game in general.
    I don't know anything about the Russian gaming distribution industry there. What Russian game distributer would you see as being better, which would also be cost effective for our game?

Easy to kill the messenger or the soothsayer. I noticed you haven't posted allot, so you may not have been banned or censored here as much and many times as I have.

But more importantly, I think any better distribution in Russia or any other county can only be seen as a good thing for our game and something to welcome. I don't think I've ever looked at a game and then noticed who it's been distributed by and said to myself that I wouldn't buy it based on that information alone.

I don't think they're talking about a wipe or additional server. I haven't seen or read that anywhere. I wouldn't care if they actually did run another server as long as the server paid for itself within it's range of availability. There's certain countries that do have censorship with their gaming industry. I know that, for an example, "Tropico" is banned here in Thailand. If current relationships with all countries continue to deteriorate, it may not be a bad idea to have other servers separated by region of individual home country government censorship oversight o_O...

It's a world where a few small men wish us all from every country, ill will to each other, no matter what the subject matter.
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

7. Selene

Selene Avatar

Hmmmn... their symbol looks suspiciously like the wake up new britannia logo. :D

Net and Time Lord like this.
  8. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Very understandably.
    Don't sell yourselves short, it's the Russian self will within logic that finds solutions in any underdog position (There is allot of Mr. Spock from Star Trek in your country :D). I find Russia a country loaded with great will of dry intellectual power and force of individual will power as well. The USA could not get our Lord British into space ;)
    I looked at their web site. They do look like a great developer of games. Yet I must point out that SOTA seems to be asking them to distribute and operate, but not to develop. As long as telephone lines remain open, I think that Portalarium in Austin Texas can wake up and answer any problem they may have with maintaining the server.
    After reading more, I think they are talking about operating an independent server there. Unsure (asks @Berek ) "is that right or wrong?"
    I believe it's one of Richard Garriott's mindful thing within how he is approaching SOTA, that he has a mind to enlist the aide of gaming industry new comers, which may learn from Portalarium's experienced staff and become greater than they may be now. He and the staff at Portalarium regularly give speaking engagements at the University of Texas, there in Austin Texas. So I think they have interests to help young or struggling gaming developers, which may explain much of why they have chosen the Black Sun Publishing company. Such companies tend to have lower overhead, where something like an public crowd funded game like SOTA could become the center of their company's gaming focus to maintain.

There is allot of determination within people from Russia when down, to rise up to meet any challenge facing them. That's just what I have learned from having been a Russian USSR soldier (we were used for practice ;)) in the California USA desert for many years.
    A picture of us on maneuvers there... Proud Soviet soldiers in the USA we were :D (click on the picture for more info)
    [​IMG] Black Sun Gaming, I think it looks awesome!' :eek: [​IMG]

Here, where I now live in Thailand, I have many Russian friends who seem of the same determination and logical bold mind sets, which gives me hope for Russia's future generations to carry on that same bold logical nature. I've never won a Chess match against one of them :( but they are improving my 10 minute Chess game :)

So these are the reasons why I have faith that the Black Sun are just the right people, as long as Portalarium remains a steady partner with them, which should help them rise from where they now find themselves to be.
    I enjoyed your very knowledgeable feedback very much on this subject. Thank you and, "Nostrovia!"
    ~Time Lord~;)

Solazur and Spinok like this.
  9. mightymaligos

mightymaligos Avatar

Dear Spinok!

It looks a bit rude when anyone calls people unprofessional without any proof. Especially when he doesn't even know these people.

Here are the details:
    1. We are a young publisher, so you will get info about our new projects when time comes. For now, our team is totally focused on Shroud of the Avatar.
    2. The base of our team worked for different companies, including Akella. Moreover, Akella was alma mater for many young professionals, who now work for many famous Russian publishers and game-related mass-media.
    3. Please, do not associate us with ex-Akella owners. We do not share their point of view on publishing and business all in all.
    4. Speaking of EQ2 localization – here is a quote of David Kim (Project Manager, International Operations, SOE):
    “During this project [Everquest 2] we noticed with great pleasure that Akella is very much committed to high quality, something we hoped for from the beginning and now resulted in one of the best, if not the best localized version of any SOE products. It has also shown us that it pays off to put the extra time into polishing the product until it meets a very high standard of quality because our customer demand it and deserve it — not only in Russia but all over the world”.
    And here is proof link: http://www.warcry.com/articles/view...ssian-Expansion-Interview#jqAVfllZktuIRURq.99
    Most of the people, who work on SotA localization now, also were in charge of EQ2 localization. Russian servers were live for more than 10 years and were quite popular. Same for many other Akella projects. There were fails though, but we remember them and will not repeat these mistakes (as I already mentioned in 3).

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me anytime via personal message.

Best Regards,

Nikita

10. Leinad Laurelwreath

Leinad Laurelwreath Avatar

Last edited: May 11, 2017
    Montaigne likes this.
  11. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

The press release was posted on the front page yesterday.

12. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Its been announced. https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=72007

Yes, I'm sure there will be other details coming, but its just a publishing deal. I don't even see anything on the announcement, here or elsewhere, that discusses them doing the localization for Russian, so my guess is that will continue to go through the Localization Team.

13. Leinad Laurelwreath

Leinad Laurelwreath Avatar

Oops! Thanks @Browncoat Jayson @Stryker Sparhawk , i missed this... however, nothing different from the news in other media.

Anyway, waiting for those answers on CotOs, servers and the meaning of "operate SotA"

14. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

I, honestly and without any attemp to troll, fail to see the importance of all this.

15. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Marketing. Pure and simple. The publisher will be able to market to Russian and CIS territories, instead of Portalarium having to do targeted advertisements there, which would require both more work for them and additional research that the publisher already has experience with. I'd expect this is not the last announcement you will see of a publisher for a specific foreign region that will help market the game to those players. Its an important step for games that feature localization.

I guess the important piece to take away from this, is that its a step toward release. There won't be any reason to market before that.

16. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Sure.
    That's the part i understand ;-)
    But why is this (beside the fact it is a big step towards final release and it generates more income for Port) important for us?
    Wher eis the connection to the coto and add on store for example?

17. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

I think it speaks to a level that a Trusted Trader partnership would play to. Perhaps the publisher level has equal access/discount or a better purchase structure.

18. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Well i guess nobody can be surprised if the publisher aqctually get's a share of the income.
    If that is surprising to somone i am really not sure if there is something we could do to help him/her.

19. Odin BloodBayne

Odin BloodBayne Avatar

I just hope I never see "SotA secures EA for US publisher" :eek:

20. Earl Atogrim von Draken

I am somewhat sure that Portalarium is it's own US publisher ^^

Lord Halvard Fimbultyr and Net like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.