SotA secures Russian publisher

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by smack, May 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Odin BloodBayne

Odin BloodBayne Avatar

Tis a joke.. at least I hope. However I thought the same about Origin. :oops:

Sir Cabirus likes this.
  2. Serena Strangelove

Serena Strangelove Avatar

I certainly hope this remains true.

3. Leinad Laurelwreath

Leinad Laurelwreath Avatar

It's quite common for MMOs to have different prices for different countries, will this happen here? will BlackSun have its own Store with different prices, bundles or even items?

The key here is that the agreement talks of publishing AND "operating" so what happens to these new russian/chinese/whatever players?
    • Will we play with them? What's with the lag if we group with Russians?
    • We play in separate servers with different POTs or NPC lot owners?
    • Separate prices but common server?
    I guess you'll agree this could affect the game, right? ;)

The term "will operate SotA" is quite vague and imho, should be explained.

4. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Oh i am sure it will.
    But i guess we can as well agree that the spending capacity varies massivly from country to country.

Chatele and Time Lord like this.
  5. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

How about one global server and one for each country? We could then play on both. Of course houses, lots and POTs would have to be bought for every server separately. Thus Portalarium would get more money for the development of this game. Also it would cause more landrushes. ;)

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  6. Leinad Laurelwreath

Agreed. That's why i think we could see a separate server, addon store, CotOs prices or even BlackSunCotOs? Lots of room for speculation here behind the term "operate"

I don't see anything but advantages right now (more players, more income, more development resources) but i'm very curious on how is this being planned.

I need to know if i should craft more of my awesome bear hats for russians or not, they like that, no? :D

7. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

As far as I am concerned this is the best news I have heard for a while and could in fact be a game changer.

Don't be fearful, although it's a big world outside this community forum.......that big world is exciting.

8. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I know that currently on Steam Thailand, that there is a difference in SOTA access Ep#... pricing. I think it reflects the market of the Thai economy, being about a bit over 1/2 price. The USD $ and the Thai Baht have a constant change right now in exchange rates and those rates vary by bank used for purchase in USD, so the price is listed in Thai Baht.
    :eek: "But let me be clear... there's no separate add-on store there" it's just game only.

(PS) I won't ever buy anything through Steam, as they do not have an option of changing languages on their site. Wherever you are, that's what language you get, thus I believe the way Steam operates is sort of a separate entity from country to country which is what this deal is looking like. "Which is fine with me".

If SOTA had a separate server for Thailand, I would most likely keep what I have here and buy a separate account for the other server to play with my local friends here as well.
    ~Time Lord~

Net and Earl Atogrim von Draken like this.
  9. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Apologies about that @mightymaligos... we have a few overzealous community members.

Community, let's be on our best behavior... any further disruptions and rude accusations that fly in the face of our partners that are right here in the same conversation thread, will be removed and you will receive a warning.

If you have concerns, please do send them to us, but privately.

Thank you,
    Berek

10. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

@Berek

Its still the plan that we only have 1 mega server correct?

Im really excited about russian players coming in to my novia.

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2017
  11. Selene

Selene Avatar

I'd like to know the answer to this, too.

12. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Many important questions about multiple servers!

I'd personally like to interact with more players from around the world.

But... With the arbitrage issue, one could spoof their IP and open a Russian account, buy a bunch of store items at discounted prices and cause some issues that way.

I'm sure there are other sneaky tricks that the more creative members of our community can come up with also.;)

Hopefully a more formal announcement is forthcoming that will address these questions. Otherwise, squelching false prophets and rumors based upon spurious conclusions becomes the focus.

13. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Agreed, part of the selling point for me for this game was 1 mega server and no shards.

14. Leinad Laurelwreath

Spreading to other markets implies different regional pricing, then this
    implies multiple shards/servers.

I'd prefer to be wrong, though. Please refer to my Cookie Monster waiting GIF while we wait...

Time Lord and Jaanelle DeJure like this.
  15. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Everything has its pluses and minuses.

For example, if there is only one server that also causes me to wonder about performance issues while I am adventuring with my new friends from Russia and China. And old friends like @Time Lord too, if he ever takes his nose out of the cotton fields. :D:rolleyes:o_O

Also relevant but not directly on topic- the burgeoning "gap" issue. I put this in quotes to refer to both real and perceived gaps between new players and veterans. Multiple servers does allow for new players who really, really, want to start at "Day 0" (apparently Marse 2, Wentru 493).

Personally, I think I'd prefer one server. But I'd set my preferences aside for the greater good of the game. I don't know enough about the technology involved to evaluate this fully. :confused:

Time Lord likes this.
  16. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

The current plan is still one server for all our players worldwide. If that changes we will let everyone know but that is still the core of our experience.

17. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

^^ That is awesome. Im not sure how a publisher works in another country but we can only hope that sales in that country to that publisher have some kind of kick back to our dev team to put in the pot to continue to help build the game. Meaning, Joe player in Russian buys high bundle and 75% of that comes back to Port to directly help build the game. If not, that means we are subsidizing their free game play or the profit of that other company :(

Chatele and Time Lord like this.
  18. Leinad Laurelwreath

Problem here is that Joe player (with his Russian salary converted to USD) would have to sell one of his sons to buy that high bundle :rolleyes:, hence the discussion about regional pricing and store.

19. basalygin

basalygin Avatar

I think it's wrong. Personally, I'm from Russia and I make regular purchases in the store. I also have a village bundle and I'm going to buy a second at the end of the month to support the project.

And our guild owns its own pot metropolis.

Also most people from our guild, like me at all do not want to play on the Russian servers of the publisher.

Due to the fact that any local publisher in our country always dishonest.

Chatele, Spinok, Time Lord and 4 others like this.
  20. Leinad Laurelwreath

Yeah, sorry @basalygin and others, that could sound offensive. My apologies... :(

I just meant that other countries with lower income or bad currency exchange rates couldn't afford stuff as we can do in US/EU (currently). This discussion just went to economics and i'm an ignorant here, so i'll stop!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.