Party Invite Keybindings

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dhanan, May 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dhanan

Dhanan Avatar

I notice that "Toggle Cursor" is no longer bound by default. If I may ask, how does one accept/deny a party invite without using the cursor?

I've asked this question on Discord, but it seems like chat is dead.

Thank you

2. Balec Fares deCani

Balec Fares deCani Avatar

Was also wondering this. I think I found that if you bring up one of the UI windows it temporarily gives you a cursor. but I can't remember which one. Maybe cast a teleport scroll? Best to remap that Toggle Cursor key asap!

Dhanan likes this.
  3. Dhanan

Dhanan Avatar

Why..why would they do this. My wife and I decided to jump into SotA again after not playing for a while. Guess what we stopped playing after 5 minutes of scratching our heads trying to figure out how Portalarium expects us to play the game without a mouse cursor.

I can imagine what new players must think of this game.

4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I always have a cursor in the game. Maybe I'm not understanding what your saying though. Hmm well I am in game and everything I point out has a cursor. Many things also have the option to use the 'e' key if that is a point being made. Really the 'e' key is fantastic for repetitive tasks like looting, getting water, planting etc. To move your character it is both mouse keys right and left and I also use w and turn with the mouse sometimes. And the auto walk when I don't want to hold down the keys to walk is for me still set on the + key on the number key pad ;)

5. Dhanan

Dhanan Avatar

You are correct- you don't understand what I am asking:

1. Do a clean install of the game.
    2. Run game.
    3. Get a party invite.
    4. Accept the party invite.
    5. Explain to me how you accepted the party invite.

As it stands right now (I have three computers that this game is freshly installed on), by the game's default keybinds (and alternate default keybinds), the "toggle mouse cursor" key is unbound. By default, the mouse cursor is not toggled on.

Therefore, I would like to know how I am expected to accept or decline a party invite without having to manually go in and rebind those keys. At first, since I have been away from the game for a while, I thought that there was simply a way via the keyboard to accept or decline an invite. From what a friendly player has informed me on Discord, this is not the case. There is no way using the keyboard to accept or decline a party invite.

Conclusion: It's an oversight on the part of Portalarium.

Aside: I consider this detrimental to the new player experience.

Balec Fares deCani likes this.
  6. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I got a party invite just a few hours ago, I pointed my mouse cursor at the word 'accept' and accepted. Ok sorry I don't get it, but that's ok maybe someone else does. I don't know why you don't have a cursor, because I do and always have had since Nov 2013 playing this game, did you bug report it?

7. Dhanan

Dhanan Avatar

Cool, so you followed step one and did a clean install of the game?

8. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

No my cursor was always there, it has always been there. I did not do a clean install of the game. I just do patching each time there is one. Ok really I don't get it sorry, I'm not helping you.

9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

ok unless you accidentally hit the tab key that toggles. Just click it again and you'll be back. Thats the only thing I can think of. Until I figured that out it I was like what is this strange thing. ;)

10. Dhanan

Dhanan Avatar

Listen, the Tab key is unbound by default on a fresh install. That is my whole point. You cannot see this because you didn't do a fresh install of the game. You are absolutely right. You are not helping. What so ever. If you want to help, follow my steps and help me reproduce this problem, otherwise you are just confusing the issue.

I am bringing this to light because, can you imagine if you are a new player and cannot activate the mouse because the button for activating the mouse is unbound? Tab does nothing related to the mouse on a fresh install.

majoria70 likes this.
  11. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Dhanan and Balec Fares deCani like this.
  12. Dhanan

Dhanan Avatar

Oooo, Thank you! Thank you for not linking Atos either. When I brought it up with him, he just responded sarcastically dismissive.

13. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Linking @Chris... we don't call out developers or community members in this way, regardless of the concern. If you need an opinion, Atos is a key developer that can give you an answer. It's just a matter of how you respond and inquire.

14. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

You might get a better response by posting this in the bug forum. You could also preface the title of your post with NUE indicating it is an issue affecting new players.

If you literally cannot group at all, post in the "critical issues" subforum.

Also, this sounds like a simple default setting problem. It probably got broken with the settings menu update. I doubt that paging lead developers is necessary to fix this.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  15. Dhanan

Dhanan Avatar

I didn't page anyone. My post was a question that was answered, leading to the conclusion that it was an oversight. How could I have posted it in the bug forum, when at the time of posting, I could not know it was a bug? I genuinely thought that there was a way to just accept the party invite via the keyboard, like it is in many other games. I just figured that I didn't know how, since I was away from the game for a while. All of this should be clear to you, if you read the thread. If anyone at Portalarium wishes to do anything about it, great. I've done all I care to do concerning this subject.

/thread

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.