Unbelievably slow download speed!

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Emile Layne, May 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emile Layne

Emile Layne Avatar

70 KB [thats Kilo Bytes] per second?

This is the most ridiculous patching speed of any game of all time.

And NO I don't want to "install a torrent" and tell Windows its OK and copy and paste files into folders and blah blah...

I want to patch from a secure server at a speed resembling something from this century NOT from the 1990s dial up speed.

Any new player needing to download this game will walk away after 12 hours and never return.

You want feedback? Fix this utter mess of a download speed.

Fionwyn Wyldemane likes this.
  2. Emile Layne

Emile Layne Avatar

Or you could maybe send it out to us in the post on 100000000000000 floppy disks - that would be WAY faster.

3. skeggy Media

skeggy Media Avatar

try turning off any firewall settings to see if the problem is there, also you could consider attaching your account to steam as most people get better results that way. Also, make sure that for test purposes you are not or any other person in the house is using the internet as you problem could be there.

4. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

I've been having the same problem for two days - it takes 24 hours to download the game?? Yikes! And no, I won't DL via Steam, as none of my accounts are Steam linked and never will be.

I ran tests with my laptop directly wired into the modem. I have speeds of over 200+mbps, but can only get the game to DL at 170kbps? There is something very wrong with this picture and I am going to ping @Berek and @DarkStarr on this. It is *not* my system causing this problem.

Emile Layne likes this.
  5. Emile Layne

Emile Layne Avatar

My connection is fine also. This is a joke. I will definitely be telling players to steer clear of this cash cow of a game. 70kbps. Maybe if I try and plug in my old 56k modem I will get a faster download? Or even see if I can send a carrier pigeon to the developers who can then send me back a stack of floppy disks with the game files on :)

6. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

you cant "do the work"aka press another button in your browser but you're willing to go fetch some old router stashed away somewhere? sense

7. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

I feel your pain. I don't necessarily agree with *steering clear* of SoTA, but it blows my mind that we can't get decent DL speeds via the client.

As for me, even IF I ever get the game reninstalled on this computer, I have no idea if it will work as I keep getting a *mono.DLL* CTD even after I reinstalled the game from scratch once in the last 2 days.

8. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

Maybe they will add a new store item "Reasonable Download speeds" Could ensure you get an easy, quick DL of any and all content moving forward for a one time fee of $200.00! (Or something like that not sure how they decide pricing on items) then we will have more funds to fund the game and make sure its successful in the long run!

9. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

I think the message is that this is so slow, she might have better luck with a 56K modem and I have to agree on that point. I don't see the point in putting the onus on the players to jump through hoops to DL the game. It should work through the client, at speeds greater that 100kbps and not be dependent on whether anyone else is trying to download to boost speed.

I wish I could do a torrent from a separate program, but I can't. Being forced to Steam-link one of my accounts just to DL the game is not a viable option either. I don't want to.

10. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I will send it to you on 3.5" floppies at $1 a floppy? Shipping extra. ;)

11. Emile Layne

Emile Layne Avatar

I think you missed out on the humour/irony here

12. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.