Is this behavior considered Exploiting?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RobotBeginner, May 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobotBeginner

RobotBeginner Avatar

Can any SotA officials answer this question?

(1) Player A in Scene I, Player B in Scene II and both players are in Friends Online mode.
    (2) Player A clears all the monsters in Scene I.
    (3) Player A adds Player B as party member.
    (4) Player A makes Player B as Party Leader.
    (5) Player A exits Scene I and back to the Novia Overland.
    (6) Player A quits the party and re-enters Scene I.
    (7) At this time, all the monster in Scene I are respawned and Player A can kill all the monster again without waiting the respawning time.

Is this an exploiting behavior that is not allowed and consider illegal?

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    Salix and Time Lord like this.
  2. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I haven't heard a discussion about this kinda thing going back to wipes and the Pheonix but from what I understood back then, it is considered an exploit. People were able to do this a lot easier in the old days and they made it harder.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

you know the answer, you just want to get someone to contradict themselves. Back then into a corner.

Any action that works in a manner to bypass intended mechanics put in place, is exploiting, they have said this.

Now is it broken? no not really, is it a bug? no not really, have they said that players are not supposed to be able to exit / enter scenes to reset - yes.

So your plan bypasses the intent - EXPLOIT.

4. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

If that was an exploit they did something about we would lose half the player base.

They must not care as it's been happening since r20 something?

This is what happens when your design ideas contradict themselves.

"Hey stop grinding that dragon!"

"Dragon neck bone drops are now one in 40"

Mortanius, GraveDncer, Salix and 3 others like this.
  5. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Agreed, I still say the fact people can solo dragons is an exploit lol. At least I dont think they designed the game for that. But, saying that, dragon loot still sucks so its not really that big of an issue. If they looted up the dragon it would. But then there is the flip side, all the people complaining that boss's drop craaapy loot. This is why :)

Stundorn and Time Lord like this.
  6. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Don't forget we also have the same content in offline mode ;) I'd say it's hard to not be able to solo things with this being an option in SOTA. Can't have one without the other o_O...

[​IMG] :confused:~TL~

Sir Cabirus likes this.
  7. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I begin to think it would be better they just give us everything more easy.
    All th e "hardcore" things aren't hardcore, there are just timesink and people with more time are going to "exploit" the system to avoid this artificial constructed timesinks.

they just should grant everyone more ressources, artifacts, droprates etc...

you know what - thats just because some would have all in less than 3 days and wouldnt have any incentives anymore.

But really, if someone rushes its not my fault, why we are punished and need to grind and exploit content to get something?

I play for 9 Month, i never lootet something woth more than a Hellebard o_O

Sir Cabirus, Xandra7 and Time Lord like this.
  8. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

They have talked about making fighting in off line mode easier and of course you can hire npc's to help.

Stundorn and Time Lord like this.
  9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Halberd?
    Hellbeard?
    I don't know.

Zader and Time Lord like this.
  10. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Hellebarde oder Helmbarte oder Helle Barden :D
    [​IMG]

11. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

The trouble is that this desicion is about as tone deaf as they come. Any companion that is strong enough to tank a boss for a DPS focused player would trivialize virtually all other combat in the game. Can anyone name a single player game where you can fight all normal enemies on your own but you have to hire help for bosses?

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Well I sure support that move on their part. I don't know how good their NPCs companions will be, most all of my own gaming experiences have been lacking of confidence in such AI, but I know they know what they're doing. I heard early on Lord British speak of how far and how much more they could do with modern AI which I base that confidence on.

I took a chance playing the offline single player for about a week after returning to the game from a few months away on business just to get my head and fingers back into the game. I'm not sure if I noticed that difference while I was there, but when it comes to the massive monsters I see players better than I taking on and with what you have said, I can see where that would be something well needed by them to do.

We don't have much chatter from the offline players here on our forums and the few there are still don't post that much at all. That always causes me to wonder if their game play is often times effected, by what comes from the online MMO forums influence.
    If any players want to go through that much trouble to work as a team, then I think they deserve what entertainment value may come from it. I'm an immersion player, who would consider such play tactic as cheating myself out of allot of content by design fun. But that's just me :) The Nystal TimeLord character was designed to be something of a dork, because of his deeper Ultima history. He always needed the Avatar to save him and was never much of a fighting character, yet fighting things of the unseen, which always got him into the trouble he needed saving from.

I will have him someday ready to play a supporting role for the much larger PvP engagements within our future. Yet when our game is still in a fluctuation in skills and map development, he will most likely experience a dramatic change within his combat skills to meet those further challenges.

So, both player A and player B, are only enjoying what they wish to do within the parameters of the game, with little that would effect anyone else's play.
    And so, I support them for finding their fun ;)

I'm still waiting for a tame chicken that could fight a bear in our game ;)
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

13. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

People just do it with an alt

Dirk Hammerstrike and Time Lord like this.
  14. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Indeed! A team is a team aye? ;) and yes, sometimes as a team of only one :confused:!'
    ~TL~:D

15. StarWeed

StarWeed Avatar

This is just a really convoluted way to press [esc] -> "multiplayer" -> "switch to online"/"switch to friends only"

I would say just do that instead.. but unless it's very specific loot you are after, you are probably better off without that downtime by A) finding an area to alternate within the scene or B) finding a harder area

Sir Holisy, MacGaellen and Time Lord like this.
  16. Calem

Calem Avatar

For perspective:

Good old DDO even has a zone reset button in their adventuring area entry windows. Want a fresh instance? *click*

Personally I view most things that people like to do in SotA as good, as it keeps them around.

17. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

it's a little more complicated than that and this behavior is why they took out the /whoismaster command.

i'd say the fact that they took the command out is a good indication that they think respawning zones by forcing a scene master change is an exploit.

18. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

You do realize if they make it so hard to kill I cant do it solo, its going to take a party of super high level people just to do it, and anyone who does not have the skills to be able to handle it, no matter if they party up, can kiss it goodbye. There is that word again exploit, care to tell me how me soloing the dragon is an exploit? Is there some kind of bug I am abusing? No.

On this topic I agree, and for the longest time I did not do this because I as well felt it was exploiting. Now this is the part everyone here will really love.

I know this is going to stir the pot, and cause some flaring, but there it is, do with it what you will.

19. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Ya, I do this funny thing called asking a dev about things like this. You know, after so many people tell you false things, you just got to start to hear it for yourself from a dev. Or you hear something about a skill, and you test it for yourself, and find out they did not really know what they are talking about. For example, someone posting ice field was effecting them, because they see the icon show up under their name. But when I tested this, even though I do have the icon, I can still move normally.

Time Lord and liz_the_wiz like this.
  20. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Ummm, they made it easier. You don't have to back out of the game to switch modes now, you just just switch modes.

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.