What to do in the 1st 20 hours. (Noob question)

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Quinn Zorich, May 24, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quinn Zorich

Quinn Zorich Avatar

Hello everyone!

I am very excited about this game. I was a huge UO player and learned about this game. I admit that after backimg this game early, I have not paid much attention to it until now. I feel behind and overwhelmed lol.

Anyway, I have a few questions. The first one is around the housing system. I received as a backer, several deeds types of houses. I have a "city" house but I also have something called a "town" and a "village" house. Does that mean I can place three houses? ( seems excessive LOL ). If I place the one house but then I go to the village and place the house there, does that delete my original house?

My other question was what should I do to get going in the game? For the first 20 hours should I focus on obtaining gold and developing skills? Develop combat skills? Quest?

Like UO, this game offers so much, but I'm not sure where to start.

Thanks in advance!!

Clay aka "Quinn Zurich"

2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hello @claybwagner. and welcome. Tomorrow is a brand new release so expect more new things. Yes you can place your deeds. Well it depends on what you do with them. If you place them side by side you may have one just be a garden, a grave yard etc.

Well you can follow questlines, collect resources, decide what you want to be in game, merchant, farmer, deco your house and lots to get ready, start to collect resources to build with, start learning crafting, fish, grow things, play music, trade emotes and recipes with other players, and on and on and so much you would not believe with more coming all the time. Anytime if I can help or answer questions I am Majoria in game. It is great to meet you.

Edit: as mentioned Houses don't equal lot deeds. You need a lot deed to place a house. So you will want to look at how many of those you have. I'm not sure which tier you pledged to. Houses used to stack so you got a lot of them, but one house per lot deed like; village lot deed, town lot deed, row lot deed, same size house will fit on lot and you can change them out. Altho you can place a smaller row house on a village or town to make room for more planting or other ideas you might have.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  3. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

Deeds and houses are separate things.

You need a deed to claim a lot. The deed must be at least as large as the lot you are claiming (so you can claim a row lot with a village deed but not vice versa).

Once you have claimed a lot you can place upon it any house that will fit, or even have no house at all for any lot larger than row size.

4. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

5. Balec Fares deCani

Balec Fares deCani Avatar

For your first 20 hours, I'd suggest
    • Get familiar with the controls/commands, the various UI screens (click the stained glass at top right and the gears top right and explore the various options)
    • Get familiar with the chat window, how to talk in local, whisper someone, create and join a party (/invite <player> or right click on someone or their name in a UI)
    • Get familiar with how to talk to NPC's, explore the town you're first dropped in and the subsequent town you are led to
    • Get familiar with towns versus the overland map and how to navigate (bring up the sotamap window in game and/or visit sotamap.com)
    • Find how to get between the Hidden Vale and Novia on the overland (Boat between/by Brittany and Kingsport)
    • Get familiar with the difference between NPC towns and Player Owned towns - some of which are thriving and interesting, many of which are deserted
    • Hang out in the hidden vale for awhile once you make your way there, particularly Kingsport and Owls Head - talk to the NPC's and do their quests.
    • Get familiar with the NPC merchants (different than player vendors) and learn where to find things you may need - reagents, arrows, crafting supplies
    • Take it easy and don't be in a rush, it can be very frustrating if you are set on doing something and it takes going 20 different places (that you don't know where to find) to accomplish it.
    • Get familiar with the difference between towns and adventure zones (and roving encounters) and what can be found in each, as well as the different levels of adventure zones (identified by the number of skulls on the post near the entrance - stick to 1-2 skull zones early)
    • Get familiar with the difference between the different play modes - multiplayer where you see other players, and friends only where you only see people in your party
    • Bind to a town crier (or place a lot and bind to it) so you have a place to recall with a recall scroll
    • Make a couple friends so you have someone to ask questions (Balec deCani in game) and teleport to

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  6. OxNull

OxNull Avatar

For the first 20hrs of the game try to think of what you want to explore in SotA. The game is in a sandboxy type state where you have to choose what you want to do.

If you want to pursue crafting there is way more than 20hrs of content to dive into. Figuring out how to find recipes, what type raw resources are needed, how to make the many different components and types combination there are. It's a very deep rabbit hole.

If you are interested in the market side of things there are many public vendors and player ran markets that are actively being used (Novia Market, New Brittania Market) to check out and get a finger on the pulse of what's being sold and how much. Again way more than 20hrs of content.

If you are interested in building your avatar in the adventure tree just going over and familiarizing yourself with the skills can take some time. There are many good zones zones to adventure in as a new player (New Player Outskirts, Soltown Catacombs, Whiteguard foothills). All types of combat are ok as a new player. Just pick the style you like, be it melee, ranged, magic, or some type of hybrid. Mobs are quite formable at low levels so you will have to be cautious. Magic does have some dominance at higher levels, but for your first 20 hrs just mess around and get a feel for what feels right for you.

It's also highly recommend to find a guild. A new player can be grouped in all content offered in SotA; your survival is not gaurentreed though. But any new player should be fine in any normal 5 skull with a group.

There are many things to focus on in your first 20hrs of the game. I recommend getting a feel for the game flow. There are loading screens, there are optimization problems, there is lacking features, there is still active development being made on a monthly basis. If you get used to the flow of the game there are a many things to put hrs into.

7. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

I recommend questing at the start. It offers good XP and gold and will let you naturally explore the world and understand your skills.

For skill development I suggest locking all skills to maintain once they reach lvl 40 initially (to unlock the different skills in the trees you want to use for your build) with the exception of the top skill in the chosen combat tree - take that to 70 or so. Once you get a handle on the XP spend on these skills and understand which ones you prefer to use -you can work on taking them higher.

8. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

small counterpoint: a good guild can help, but don't feel like you HAVE to join one and settle for the sake of gameplay. you won't get wrecked without one, just be a bit slower to advance.

9. Relentless

Relentless Avatar

I could help "relieve" you of a few of those houses... just sayin.

10. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

oh and get used to this :D

serious - in any way of competition you need to know if you wanna catch up you may burn out, so better just "let it be" ;)

Welcome to New Britannia Outlander !!!

11. Luca Xante

Luca Xante Avatar

12. Tanglewood

Tanglewood Avatar

13. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

Hey @claybwagner , Welcome!

Stop by Bastion's Point and Pick up a Getting Started 101 guide. Lots of great information there, I sell tons and get great feedback. There is one on the counter you can simply read for free, and if you want one to take with you they are 5g.

Starting Skills, Devotionals, Quests for after the SB Outskirts. It will get you going.

14. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

Welcome! There are many of us who roamed Britannia and are now enjoying New Britannia. Many have given you good advice. My only thought is that there is no such thing as being "behind". It's a new land to enjoy and we should have a couple of decades or more to enjoy it. Go slow, ask questions, have fun!

15. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

Welcome, do your best not get burned out quickly, and dont have too high of expectations of the game being like UO. This is SOTA keep that mind set and avoid burn out and you should thoroughly enjoy yourself for a few hours at-least.

16. Whitestag

Whitestag Avatar

Welcome aboard...

Look me up in game and I will give you some armor and weapons for the class you wish to play.

Grab any resources you can get cotton. wood, ore and use it to raise your crafting levels. This will help you be able to repair items and also make them yourself when you get high enough in level.

Any info you need just ask.

17. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

There are a lot of good responses here!

I see that the housing question has been thoroughly addressed.

There are indeed many options for how to spend your first 20 hours, however if your interest is in getting a financial toehold in the game, I would recommend you consider taking the rift from Solace Bridge to Highvale and starting your journeys there.

You can play the Courage quest line for questing... it's not quite as polished as the Love quest line but I think it's all due for a reset in a couple releases anyway.

Highvale is the best starter zone by far for items and resources. Thar's silver in them hills! Plus a bunch of deco and "free" cooking items (yes, it will "ding" your virtue if you are worried about such things) AND a special weapon with extra damage against the undead. Since the Love path has a lot of undead... this may come in handy later.

There's also a relatively easy (2-skull) zone in South Paladis that has a high concentration of silver, and some of the only "trash loot" left that is actually worth anything. Finally, if you stop by my place in Jaanaford you will find a bunch of books with additional "tips and tricks" to help you get started! From the main entrance, just hang an immediate left and look for the elven greenhouse.

Skillwise- it's important to understand how they level because it might be a bit different than what you're used to. But basically for the first 20 hours, just experiment around. You can take most early skills to level 40 pretty quickly (about 4000 xp), which will get you about 65% relative effectiveness, with zero skill decay upon death. Being that the combat mechanics are still under development, and in fact just got a huge rework, I would strongly suggest you do not decide "ahead of time" what kind of character you want to play. The different combat and magic skills are still being balanced, and so by just "picking your pony" you run the risk of either:

A. Putting a bunch of effort into skill trees that are underpowered, and concluding that the game is too difficult.

B. Putting a bunch of effort into skill trees that are overpowered, and then feeling frustrated when they get balanced (or "nerfed") later.

Overall, if you spend a few hours exploring all the different aspects of this game (exploring, questing, adventuring, gathering, crafting, decorating, PvP), you will have plenty to do, and more importantly, you will develop a more well-rounded appreciation for the current state of the game.

Welcome back! :)

Last edited: May 31, 2017
    claybwagner and Time Lord like this.
  18. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Welcome!!! Since Im late to this party I'll offer you some advice of what to do after your first 20 hours. I have a lot of twitch streams that you can see what its like playing at lvl 55 (my alt) and at lvl 95 (main). A lot of it is me just playing around doing normal stuff but it may help you with char, buffs and deck building.

https://www.twitch.tv/2112starman/videos/all

claybwagner and Time Lord like this.
  19. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Welcome Avatar @claybwagner !

Don't worry too much about placing your home until all the player towns romance you into becoming their neighbor (like the wonderful player town of Wizards Rest :D shameless plug). I don't know if you are building a new character from scratch, but if you are, don't worry too much about deck building just yet, "because if you are a new character", then you won't initially have that option ;) Many of our players haven't been "new" in a very long time and things have changed.

Keep in close contact on our forums and ask questions there as often as you like by creating your own discussion threads as this one.
    Enjoy your time and do stay "healthy" <---<<< which is a very nice skill to build up as it helps with time spent healing. The health bar increases at a more productive rate the higher that skill is while standing still and out of combat mode.

Trolls are common place here within our forums so don't be effected by them. There's plenty of good folks here always on who can and will answer your questions quite promptly ;)

Happy to see you here Avatar!
    There's a world that need the saving o_O...
    ~Time Lord~:D

claybwagner and Whitestag like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.