Buff Insanity Part 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 2112Starman, May 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I'm not sure that this has any positive impact on majority game play enjoyment o_O... The impact needed on the development side would require all creatures to need adjusting.
    I think these are strictly PvP issues which would upset the balances that we have for those same PvP issues and as such should not be tampered with because they only effect 10-20% of the player base.
    Town devotionals should last as long as they do to combat what they were made for, which are the sieges and why the cabalists are attracted to them because of the devotional's importance.
    As far as food buffs, to cut down on their duration is to undercut the value of within the collecting effort, supplies and skills needed to have created them. Less duration = less gold value to our edibles.
    There's allot of fun reasons to attend the PvP arena fights, but an important one, is to learn why we may be getting our butts kicked and why our chosen skill sets may suck o_O...

If you as a player are getting your butt kicked, there is a reason and it's not because something is overpowered, but may need to be fine tuned by Chris, but not in any drastic way. If it's a drastic change needed, then it's most likely that you may feel that way because there's something wrong with your way within the skill set, or you just aren't that good.
    I'm not that good, but the difference is, "is that I know it" :(~Time Lord~;)

Aldo and cyathome like this.
  2. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

So, people complained buff time was to short, and they had to rebuff all the time, now people are going to complain buffs last to long? There is no way to satisfy these types of players. Go make your own game, since the only thing that is going to be acceptable is EXACTLY what you want.

Milkdrop, fonsvitae, Aldo and 4 others like this.
  3. Twiggi Fizzlesticks

Twiggi Fizzlesticks Avatar

Devotionals should require a choice like originally stated by Darkstarr
    Food is limited to the number of buffs you can have, and there is a higher cost associated with them. Some food does have negative affects.

If everyone is running around casting the same 3 spells because they are overpowered. Then its not fun.

If everyone is running around with the same 5-10 buffs. Is there really a point?

[​IMG]

4. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

That's very true, yet that also only effects PvP when the other player is buff and you're not. Yet if those buffs aren't there, it drastically effects PvE and limits the choice the PvE player has, as it has to do with what areas they enjoy hunting in.
    Without buffs, it relaxes PvP and restricts PvE. o_O~TL~

5. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I am satisfied with longer Buff duration.
    I agree with ONE food buff, why 2, maybe when we have some brewery we can have a food and a drink buff.

I am not willing to travel for specific PoTs who have all Shrines i want, logging 4 times, siege, Town, seek for Shrines, Siege, OW, adventuring Scene, maybe a pass in between to be ready buffed for PvE.
    Takes me half an hour if i do not live in a PoT or City with the Shrines i want the Buffs from.

Dull gameplay. I just dont do it, but i am "forced" to do it to save reagencies, be competetive in a pvp Zone and all that.

All the 24/7 gamers dont have any Problems. They min max everything, buff everything and they have fun.

I am not against that they have fun, but Fun of the one side shouldnt ever be based on the Frustration of the other side.

And please this is not about jealousy, envy or misery.

That's just timesink mechanics what arent either "hardcore" gaming.
    It just feels dull to me.

I dont want to construct and build a race car to just run the race.

Time Lord likes this.
  6. eli

eli Avatar

I think it would be good for balance (and fun) if each player could only cast 1 buff at a time, however if buffs affected the entire party, or you could cast the same buff on different players in your party. This would only apply to buffs which can be cast on other players, not self-cast-only ones.

So if you had 3 people in your party, one could be responsible for keeping up int, one dex, one str, etc.

I also think the new nameplates make life more difficult for healers, since the life bar is harder to see (especially in 4k resolution), and instead of making everything smaller, you should be able to set your own filter on which buffs are shown vs hidden. It would also be nice to make debuffs stand out visually so that cleanse/cure is more viable.

Stundorn and Time Lord like this.
  7. Brightstar

Brightstar Avatar

How about buffs show up on left side of screen and debuffs on right side of screen. Also, a limit of 10 buffs sounds reasonable - debuffs have no limit. Finally, some buffs could be AOE that affect party members as long as they are within the radious of the player(s) casting it (stackable or non-stackable optional).

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

I agree, limit players to 2 or 3 active buffs and opposite fields should cancel out. No need to make becoming a generalist even more of a requirement than it already is for high level content.

MrBlight, Time Lord and Stundorn like this.
  9. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

The problem with a limit on buffs, and having negative effects on buffs is when someone wants to play a tank, or you need a tank to do something, they cant.

It costs exp to get those skills, and exp to maintain them. You don't want to use them, don't, but dont try and force everyone else to play to your style.

10. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

With our future economy being able to sustain a player's taxes through crafts (something Lord British said long ago), I think consumables will increase and not decrease in the foreseeable future. A player based economy depends on a high rate of consumables being needed, or we would be knocking out one of our game's largest "gold sumps". Thus the more time and things needed to make whatever food gives us the buff, will last longer than any quick, single fruit or vegetable will.
    Skill buffs are the hardest skills we raise. They are as much an exp pool sump as they are needed in battle. The entire exp value of every single creature in the game would have to be adjusted to restrict us to a single skill buff and would not add any depth to our game, yet it would make it more simplified for our under 12 years of age to become competitive.

SOTA has many areas for new, or very age young players to enjoy, yet we also have a very deep game of monsters for the high end and highly skilled players of online games as well. To get rid of things, or technically cheapen our game would narrow our PC Gaming market share.

Not a bad idea.
    Why limit the buffs if a player can handle it? People are very quick to wish restrictions on others. It's the parental mind set of control in the real world we wish to escape when playing a game.
    I would disagree with that view. A player isn't required to have anything to seek the higher challenging content. They either need skills or companions. The offline player needs all the buffs they can get, because their companions are all supported through the single player's abilities. When we take the more challenging out of the higher content, then it's no longer higher content. In a game where the top is there and everyone can reach it, there comes an end game through boredom, until actual higher challenge is placed back in. When there's a top, then everyone becomes a townie and the economy crashes.

To all of these players who wish for less, I will say this;

There must be a Cthulhu (an un approachable monster or place) where it will take days of planning between players, or a single player offline, that would cause each adventurer to that place to fill their backpacks to the brim with very thoughtful concern, a place where death and decay is planned well ahead for, with doubtful outcome. We have not reached the development of that Cthulhu place or monster, as there's much more to come for our game before we will ever get to wish for to see it. All we have, is the very tip of our SOTA iceberg which can be currently seen. So, these buffs you think are totally un-necessary, just stay with us and I think you will all see that they are very needed, with even more needed to come.

We've even got tesla rifles that will be needed someday...
    [​IMG]
    :rolleyes: And that's a fact ;)~Time Lord~:confused:!'

Last edited: May 30, 2017
    Milkdrop, Mac2 and cyathome like this.
  11. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Have you met Chris? If it isn't required yet, give it a release or two. As it stands, farming anywhere with elite enemies requires that all party members have decent base levels in many skills, simply because without them they'll kill you in a hit or two. Once Chris finishing "balancing" high level content you'll either need to be level 150 or have a raft of buffs.

MrBlight and Time Lord like this.
  12. null2

null2 Avatar

Why do you prefer to use 1 stack buffs? You can get 15% increase in effectiveness by 5 stacking (also makes them a lot longer).

Here is the buff deck I prefer right now http://sotadeck.com/deckviewer/buff

One other interesting bit is that attunement lengthens the duration of buffs in the same tree. This duration does not decrease when you lose attunement (but the strength of the buff does). So, if you have a buff deck with lots of attunement gear, it will make the buffs in that school of magic last longer.

fonsvitae and Time Lord like this.
  13. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

We shouldn't call everything a buff.

Some are obs potions (all 7)
    Some are food effects (two of 50)
    Some are devotionals (only 2 of 11)
    Some are stat buffs (all 3)
    Some are shields (can only have one)
    Some are stances (can only have one)

There are already limits in place. I sure the hell dont want more restrictions.

Please get the obs potions, food and devotionals off the buff bar and put them somewhere easily accessible like the character sheet.

Milkdrop, fonsvitae and Time Lord like this.
  14. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Stacking them is insane. I did have a deck where I could try to 5 stack the 3 major buffs and it took 5 minutes to get a 5 stack of each buff up and ready to roll. Far to inefficient, I'll stick with 1 for now. Just not gonna happen for normal every day farming. Now, I think some people are using scripts to make the stacking easier but I have held of on that since I think the devs will ban for it.

Time Lord likes this.
  15. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

The term "buff" means anything that "buffs" (makes better) up your character which includes everything you listed. They are all "buffs"

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

And it's an over simplified term that does not capture the complexity of what's going on.

Milkdrop, fonsvitae and Time Lord like this.
  17. null2

null2 Avatar

Wow your cast rate must be very slow.

Here is a video of me getting 5 stack buffs in less than 2 minutes. And this was a very lazy buff-up as I was messing with inventory and talking to teammates.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/146976244?t=1h30m50s

fonsvitae and Time Lord like this.
  18. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Right...

So the purpose of this post is already to discuss the insanity of having to manage 10-20 buffs at one time on a character and now you want to throw in stacking them all in 5 stacks. That is complete insanity.

2 minutes is 1:55 seconds to long... still very slow.

you know that people are not even as remotely OCD as you are right :)

Ive already been attacked on this topic (this thread and others) by people saying "well you dont have to cast all those on yourself, you choose too", I wonder what they think about stacking them all too lol.

Time Lord likes this.
  19. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

As long as this word applies to any monster or place, then it's not what I see as being the elite place or creature we will someday have.
    Elite and farming shouldn't go together in the same sentence if it's not for agriculture :p~TL~

Milkdrop and fonsvitae like this.
  20. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

That is why when you want to then use specific categories you use "shield, defensive stance, potion, devotional", the subsets of buffs in this game lol.

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.