Story completed end of July, Launch later

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Poor game design, Jun 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Balandar

Balandar Avatar

That's what I was looking at as well. If the story complete is July, but launch is later in the year, are they going to start marketing in July at story complete?

2. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

The term "Launch" on its own should be separate from the storyline of Episode 1. Our apologies again for the confusion here :(. We are adjusting the SeedInvest website and other areas to clarify.

3. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

And market it for release for end of year.
    Sounds valid.

4. Selene

Selene Avatar

Am not sure capitalizing a word and putting it in quotes makes it a different thing. Episode 1 launch is going to be perceived as "Launch" by the game world and prospective players. A tv show that shows its first episode is considered to be "on air".

5. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Whether its percieved as "Launch" when the company states that it isnt "Launch" is the fault of the player percieving it while ignoring the company's statments. They will choose to call it a launch even tho the fact in writing is that it isnt, just like when persistance hit.

2112Starman likes this.
  6. Selene

Selene Avatar

Just seems like one of those "depends on that the meaning of the word 'is' is." type of situations.

Boreus and EMPstrike like this.
  7. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Exactly. And logically in order to expect the correct thing, you need to apply the meaning the company launching the product uses.

8. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

Many TV shows have a pilot episode before they "launch" into a full series. I agree the terminology used around the launch of the game is unclear.

Black Tortoise likes this.
  9. Balandar

Balandar Avatar

So the pilot of episode 1 will launch at the end of July. :) With the episode 1 series launching at the end of the year. Can't wait to watch it! I've been holding off on the story.

EMPstrike likes this.
  10. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

wait will this be a launch? The games launched but not launched so many times its confusing, after this date will we say its officialy launched? Or would it still be alpha/beta? If this game trul y is launching in less than two months wow, just wow, unless they have held onto alot of content and plan on mass releasing fixing/polishing... R.I.P. SOTA, i do not see how it could be a successful launch, other than if they are ok holding onto the handful of people playing now.... or the seed investments send them laughing to the bank. Def not going to see huge influx of new players buying the game.

Kaisa, smack, Dantuin and 3 others like this.
  11. Balandar

Balandar Avatar

From what I understand (which could be completely off basis) the Story will be complete and playable end of July. The game itself will not be launched until later in the year. And marketing is set at $500k between June and Sept according to the financials (if that's for the Story Launch or the Game Launch, I do not know...).

12. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Sounds like "real" launch will now be when Episode 5 is "ready"... And all Episodes before will just be some steps towards this launch.

13. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

Sorry if my opinion is too negative but I cannot hold back my thoughts about this any longer. I believe that the financial situation of Port is very serious. Port has to deliver all the physical items like collector boxes, data carrier, maps, coins and so on when they release the game. Having money left only for two or three months doesn't allow it to produce all this stuff. So Port decided to release the story of ep1 to satisfy the possible investors and hope for some money until the 'true launch' happens.

Lord_Darkmoon, Kaisa, smack and 9 others like this.
  14. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Portalarium has not had a previous launch of episode 1 "forsaken Vitues". Any accusations of a full launch of episode 1 already occuring is Opinion and not fact, its best to listen to the company making the product to know when episode 1 will be finished.

they HAVE been withholding alot of story content intentionally while they work on it and have told us this already. They have no desire to reveal the full story and plot of episode 1 until it is entirely playable.

Two months is thier timeline for having the major story components of episode 1 completed, after which the game will continue to recieve further polishing until they are satisfied with the quality and content of what they call "Episode 1", and call it complete, and proceed onto further content and Episode 2.

Rada Torment likes this.
  15. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

Thanks for the response, i guess there hasnt been ab official launch i failed to remember persistence in game is not launch. So its like a pre launch, launch date post persistence depending on whatever excuse there is for not being released? ok, i get it.

Kaisa and Ice Queen like this.
  16. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Because the game was nowhere near feature complete for Episode 1. That paired with the many "ATTENTION" noticed they put up stating that this was server persistance and not a episode 1 launch i thought were dead giveaways.

And a damn good excuse ;)

Granted, the many rampant rumors from the disgruntled testers may have been the number 1 cause of the confusion for those who had it.

Korim Rackham likes this.
  17. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

I'm glad your content with the current game and satisfied with the progress of the game. Atleast someone feels they have money well spent! Im not oblivious that not all games are for everyone, unfortunately SOTA didnt meet my standards even with the Alpha mind set. I think i really became derailed after the whole persistence thing when it was still clunky with combat changes etc etc. Anyway im just here to see this trainwreck to the end haha!

Mykll, Kaisa, Ice Queen and 3 others like this.
  18. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I don't believe that's the case.

As I recall they have been working on physical items for the last year. RG was signing things, they began collecting addresses, etc...

Look, there are a lot of areas that are being poorly communicated or not communicated at all. So sure, you can jump to conclusions about the health of the game and how much of what you purchased is going to make it to your door step - and YES, that's understandable since none of it has been communicated well (or at all in some cases).

HOWEVER, that doesn't make any of it fact, it doesn't change who RG and Starr and Dallas and Chris are. They're good people, they're not trying to pull a fast one on us. Just relax, you have very little control over what happens next, so please just relax and let it happen without making up scary stories in your head. If something bad ACTUALLY happens and you want to provide feedback on that, great. But you're worrying about things that haven't happened and honestly don't seem likely to happen.

I don't believe there is a scenario where you're not going to receive your physical rewards.

Mykll, Black Tortoise, K1000 and 3 others like this.
  19. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

Theres many definitions of launch - most are not relevant in context (such as floating a new boat).

The definition that is relevant is this one:

to start (a new venture) or promote (a new product)

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/launch

So technically the game was launched at kickstarter. It will be launched again when they promote it(story complete?). It will also launch when they remove the early access tags and put a fork in it.

20. Kpopgurl

Kpopgurl Avatar

The financial obligation of KS items should be listed somewhere... wouldnt surprise me though if they omitted this info.

Them saying you can conquer cities... meaning the current sieges I guess.. is an insult to every sane person.

Same goes for trade routes etc.

The game needs a lot more development time and in the right direction.

Mykll, smack, Koldar and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.