Can Sota pull off a hail mary?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cream2, Jun 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cream2

Cream2 Avatar

Does the famed quaterback RG hear the roar and prayer of the crowds? Will they actually deliver!?

Mykll and Azzamean like this.
  2. mrsevenhands

mrsevenhands Avatar

3. Azzamean

Azzamean Avatar

Yes

4. Cream2

Cream2 Avatar

They listen.... if it's talk about skin and pets?

Ice Queen and Mykll like this.
  5. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

After it's too late.

Weins201, Ice Queen and Mykll like this.
  6. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

Maybe they'll hire Doug Flutie.

7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

They listen the most when it's presented well. I've seen major changes happen during development.

The overworld map was taken down and totally re-envisuined. Also we went from level based to skill based. Many other changes due to player feedback have happened.

There have also been additions to the game because players took it on in big ways that made it happen. These players did not just complain about things, well maybe some did at first, but then these individuals brought their proposals, systems and art to the development team demonstrating why they should be added and then they added to the game.

Two examples of this is the Aether vibration radio in game and another is our music system. These were not even imagined by some to come in and especially so quickly until someone didn't give up and brought factual usable data to our team.

So it is not impossible to get changes to happen but sometimes it takes a bit more than just complaint about it. The team is really busy pushing the game to a releasable state. I am like many of you very much wishing some changes would happen but wishing won't make them happen of course.

I am not talking about balance, that can happen over years every time something is seen or noticed it might need tweaking. I'm talking about reason to log into the game again and again, day after day.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    gtesser, Nikko, jammaplaya and 6 others like this.
  8. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

Also people need to understand that something can feel wrong or off for someone, yet that person doesn't know the winning strategy to fix it. But because they don't or can't give exact details on how to fix it, and can only say what seems wrong to them, they are dismissed as just a complainer without offering solutions.

9. Zapatos80

Zapatos80 Avatar

After all i've seen so far game-design wise and after 100s of hours of play, i'm 100% confident they will deliver.

gtesser and Solazur like this.
  10. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Good thing Doug Flutie didn't DECAY every time he got sacked. :(

Anunnaki, zyxe, Kaisa and 10 others like this.
  11. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

I am pretty sure his bones, muscles, brain and equipment beg to differ.

Nikko, Preachyr, Time Lord and 3 others like this.
  12. Soylent Green

Soylent Green Avatar

I'm hoping for kick 6.

Cordelayne likes this.
  13. Julian Baskerville

Julian Baskerville Avatar

Sorry if I got the topic wrong...you americans with your strange ballgames are simply confusing.

I havent seen a game that leaves the player so alone after joining the game yet. So...no, I dont think so.

In SotA...if you have found the site (what is an act to be praised alone) and got an account and start on your own...your in for bad time until you know your way around.

1.) The game opens up only late to players. Dont come with quests please...those are no mean to get xp in this game, since you actively have to be looking for those (speaking from my side, its not fun) by speaking to NPCs. Yet the "speaking to NPCs" is no fun at all...click here, click there..."no, thank you" is all I can say to it. So...people have to grind for XP...and the strange thing about the grinde here is: the more you do it, the easyer it gets.

I see people running through zones with spells killing a dozen mobs and making x thousand xp in minutes. While the beginner has to fight little brigands for days until he gets his grind made easyer with his own skills.

A good game experience starts on day 1 and goes though until...the last day imho.

2.) Content made for long time players.
    Your new? Dont know anyone? Congratulations, your screwed. If you havent uninstalled this software yet...you will soon. Changes are made for long time players that know their way around or spend a big portion of their online time doing sozializing. Portalarium loves socializing stuff as it seems....teaparty anyone? If your not into it...yeah...sorry for you.

3.) Content not accessible in game.
    All those shiny items available in the store, are not only "unavailable 365 days a year if you missed them...you can of course watch out for the next sale" cause you missed the "seasonal sale" mind you. And those are not available for ingame currency for everyone. Other players selling those doesnt count in my book.

4.) Steam votes.
    No more comment on that, exept: "you never get a second chance to make a first impression".

5.) Seedinvest.
    No more comment on that beast, not up to me to comment anyway.

6.) Loading in, loading out, loading in, loading out...grbl...loading times.
    No more to say about this.

7.) Server Connection.
    Lag...lag...laaaaa g...and if you plan to play while they do their teleton thing...enjoy the loading times, can it be that you do your streaming over the SAME server that we guys play on?
    (ok...not sure about the streaming, I just got kicked every 2 minutes the day of your telethingy...but lag is a fun killer"...specially if you happen to write "bank".

Did I write that I am playing it?

Good luck to all...all that is just imho, please dont throw rocks at me ;)

Kaisa, digriz, technipuffin and 2 others like this.
  14. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

I just couldn't read this. A simple solution is to find a GUILD, or be social, or seek out Hospitaliers (sic?) to get your bearings. I have yet to hear a story of someone new coming into the game, asking for directions, and being told to <explicative> off. I have myself only witnessed helpful players. Some people RP bad-asses, but even then they seem generally helpful (you just have to parse their words!).

Otherwise, it seems like you want an "Easy button" (que a Staples (TM) image). Things are meant to be DISCOVERED. There is no real handholding in the game (except the new NEW player experience, I hear). If it's quests you are having trouble with, there are sites out there that help with that.

Everything else in your post seems to be SUBJECTIVE. I empathize with you if you are having a bad time of it. There are only two solutions: a) give up and move on; or b) join up with some people to try and learn more of the game or get more out of it. There is a third option, and that's to just stay being miserable - but I don't understand why you would do that to yourself. ;)

Nikko and Cordelayne like this.
  15. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Preach.

16. Julian Baskerville

Julian Baskerville Avatar

@Magnus Zarwaddim

So...dude...you have 3 titels alone in your signature...your the opposite of me in matter sota play. By the way, you do the exact opposite then being social with your view.

And...you should read the whole post if you answer on it...you'd have noticed that your answering a single point.

I wish you fun with your way of playing...now, stop telling others to be social or dust off...someone with your ingame titels should understand the meaning of discussions. I toke the time to write...did you take the time to read?

EDIT: You could have simply said I missed thet topic...I'd have believed you ;)

17. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I understand what you're saying but this does not solve the fact that more than 1/2 the players coming into the game want nothing to do with other players. I love to help too if they let you, which many times they don't. Quite often they don't trust us and have complained that hospitalers are scary people who bother them excessively. These are comments I've heard from new players. I know people want to help other players but this does not solve that this game is broken atm and does not have content with achievements, tasks, and quests that give reason to play. It is possible if this game will fail or at least struggle big time from missing needed things to do. So telling players to just join a guild or seek a hospitaler is not a solution for what's missing in this game so far.

I don't say that we won't get it eventually but imo sooner is better than later. Fixing the load times, major optimizations, and reason to play with a reward system should be at the top of the development teams list. Not new areas getting added one after another, that can come later, but how about fixing what is already there and maximizing these areas. Walking into a scene with a caravan of npcs needing you to slay the dragon or find their missing valuables on it would go a long way to giving players reason to seek out help. Climbing a mountain and finding a note telling you to seek out someone and get rewards for doing that. We have the tiniest bit showing up here and there but nothing that gives this game direction and connection for loners. And this is not all about you and what you said, it is about what the game is missing. I know you gave good feedback for new players and joining a guild helps for now, but it is a band-aid for those who don't want to do this and truly it does not solve the underlying needs still missing for this game.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    K1000, Numa, Whitestag and 2 others like this.
  18. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

yar yar, Ive been hearing for 2 years that SOTA is gonna fail in short order yet they have 5 mil more cash then they did back then and the game is near complete, hasn't happened yet. The people with personal vendettas will carry on while I continue having a great ol time in the game.

Nikko, Solazur and froji like this.
  19. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

20. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

I'm part of a guild and sometimes I enjoy grouping up to take out the Dragon, or the chicken, Fire Pillar, and on on. But honestly, I mostly enjoy just romping through the scenes solo. But that's just me.

Been playing since R1 and believe me, this game has really changed!! There are issues and I see Port listening carefully and making adjustments (then further adjustments to fix their adjustments ::grinz:: ). It's all part of the 'making a game' mentality.

Sometimes I've chatted with hospitalers. Friendly folk who are trying to help. I like the idea though hopefully it's not the only solution for new players. Which BTW I've seen appear in 5 skull area's while I'm farming a control point or doing something dangerous :)

Often I've offered to help get them through if they would stay behind me for a few moments while I clear an area out for them. I don't think they understand just how wicked these area's can be. Perhaps something in the new user experience needs to be tweaked to warn them?

Most RPG games I've played walked players through the basics they will need. I remember playing Oblivion when it came out (Yes I know it's a solo game but hear me out). From starting in the jail to walking through a mini dungeon, you learn what is needed to play the game comfortably. By the time you exited to the world, you at least had a working knowledge and could grow from there.

It's been nearly a year since I've gone through the create a new character experience. I understand it's changed. Hopefully the more feedback Port get's the better it will become.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.