Make reddit more positive.. attempt 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Preachyr, Jun 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Twiggi Fizzlesticks

Twiggi Fizzlesticks Avatar

Chris never claimed in the reddit thread that the game has always been an MMO.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2017
  2. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

I also often feel as if I am "walking on eggshells" around this here forum. But for me, it isn't because I feel that I am not permitted to voice criticism. In fact, I don't believe I have ever made a criticism of this game that was moderated.

The reason I feel on edge is more because I have been moderated for getting snippy with people who insist on clogging up threads I started with a complaint that had been lodged multiple times in several different threads. To me, that's a troll, plain and simple.

I see plenty of criticism around this forum, and actually think most of it is reasonable. But the funny thing is that the biggest criticisms have been consistently addressed by the dev team. Curious, that never seems to get mentioned by the trolls.

Elwyn likes this.
  3. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

I post frequently on reddit. I don't consider myself a 'lost cause', nor am I 'out for blood', nor is my only goal the 'demise of the game'.

I think it's a bit counter-productive to just lump every member of a community in together and speak poorly of them all.

Kaisa, GreyMouser Skye, Mykll and 4 others like this.
  4. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I know exactly how to make reddit more positive. Make a great game.

Stop listening to the trolls, they don't matter.
    Stop listening to the banned and the will be banned, they will only be a distraction.
    Stop trying to litigate the facts with people that live in an alternate reality, it won't change anything.

I don't have a reddit account. I post here where it matters and where it can have a positive impact on the game. People capable of following forum rules are welcome here, and we need them to make the best game we can.

What would make reddit more positive? Making a great game that's so good it drowns out the abstract noise of reditt.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  5. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

He actually did, but I don't want to incur the wrath of Berek (again) by linking or picking on specific people, since this thread is about how Port can help to make the reddit more positive.

If you have questions about something specific feel free to pm me.

6. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

it was just my general feeling when I go to that particular subreddit... if you were offended then I apologize... sorry... :(

7. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Oh but that doesn't just happen on Reddit. Every now and again some lurker PMs me in THIS forum with links and screenshots hearkening back to some snafu that happened a year ago. A couple of times I attempted to push back and was responded to with rage and personal attacks.

Just throwing that out there for some context. I can only assume I am not the only person who has been presented with this "evidence" in PM. Personally, I find the behavior repulsive.

I'm a grownass adult with grownass money in my pocket. When I wanted to see what SotA was all about, I coughed up the $40 and decided for myself. Soon after, I threw down a much larger sum of money. Personally, I don't think it is unreasonable for a company to focus their attention on attracting customers ready, willing, and able, to pay for their product.

Obviously, Reddit is a huge place and it would be ridiculous to characterize the entire user base one way or another. But there's no denying that some of the world's finest trolls can be found there.

I think it was a noble attempt by Chris, but based on his last blog post, totally deflating. Too bad, because he had just psyched himself up to tackle some of the biggest performance issues with this game.

Trolls FTW.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2017
  8. Cream2

Cream2 Avatar

Your time wiulf be bettwr spend ooint out what fwatures are broken, and trying ti get the devs to fix.
    But that is almost even more useless.

Example:
    Feature~ bow's not getting gem procs
    Status~ broken for 1 year ++++
    Devs progress status: willfully ignored for pets

Mykll likes this.
  9. Vagabond Sam

Vagabond Sam Avatar

I agree and i've been subjected to the sane only the inverse..

No one's innocent in this and the desire to disown a community wholesale isn't in anyone's interests

10. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

I'm curious to know what you mean by the inverse.

11. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

Well, folks can either sit here and complain about reddit and its users, or they can go and affect positive change. The choice is yours.

Just remember that for many, many people, the subreddit may well be their first introduction to SotA.

What do YOU want them to read?

E n v y, Sir Cabirus, Mykll and 7 others like this.
  12. Vagabond Sam

Vagabond Sam Avatar

A "Supporter" in this forum harassing me on PM here and in Reddit in a similar manner you describe trolls PMing you.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    Kaisa, Sir Cabirus, Mykll and 2 others like this.
  13. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

There's no reason why Port should even be attempting to control a community on a different website, what's being suggested is that they (and we) participate in that community.

And this is a key point. Reddit is (according to Alexa, anyway) the 7th most popular website on the internet. People like it and use it, prospective new players that are Reddit users will seek out the Shroud subreddit.

When the first free trial started and free trial users were unable to post here on the forums a whole lot of them ended up on Reddit and the result was a useful 'getting started' guide which is still pinned at the top of the subreddit to this day. There's nothing stopping anyone here making similar positive contributions, but going there with the plan of arguing with people isn't going to make things more positive.

Numa, Sir Cabirus, Mykll and 5 others like this.
  14. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

I will take it then that you feel that the environment of the subreddit can be changed for the positive. If so, I commend you to the effort and look forward to being proved wrong.

Personally, I feel it is not only a "lost cause" but bears a certain risk of backfiring, and which backfiring might already be happening.

I'm not a marketing expert by any means, but it seems worth considering spending one's efforts on publicity that stands a good chance of being well-received.

Vagabond Sam and Pinky2 like this.
  15. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

In before the lock,
    I wanted to point out that the few ''unhappy'' individuals on reddit will simply never be pleased, because Portalarium is going on it's own path, never being swayed (or demoralized) by the peer pressure of said individuals. Kicking and stomping and quitting the official forums isn't the proper path to changes that will make this game great.

Reply as you will, but know that the only reason I'll be coming back to this thread is to check for posts by TimeLord.

16. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Instead of trying to control the narrative, and on multiple websites, Port should just make the narrative likable. Address the negatives, do not shame people who have a different opinion and call them trolls. You have to understand, if there was nothing for people to be upset about, then the negatives would take care of themselves. But if you have a negative image, it does nothing to improve your image by starting brush fires. I really do not think that the people on Reddit are bad, they are just shamed, ignored, belittled and cast aside for the most part. People that are cast out of the "flock" will eventually make their own flock.

Kaisa, Xandra7, Sir Cabirus and 7 others like this.
  17. John Markus

John Markus Avatar

https://www.reddit.com/r/shroudofth...a_dev_says_kickstarter_should_not_be/digigv4/

IMHO, "Massive" in MMO is quite relative. You need start defining the quantity of what is Massive before you can reach common grounds.
    (From my PennMUSH background, I would say "Massive" is in the range of few hundred players RPing simultanously; but hey it was just texts).

18. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Ahh. Well in my opinion, covert aggressive behavior is the true source of "toxicity" in this or any forum. Using the PM system is great for facilitating that because it makes it easy for the perpetrators to maintain plausible deniability about what was said in private while triangulating their attack vectors through comments made in public. If they are unable to "win you over" to their side (whichever side that is) they proceed by stalking you around in the forums and trollporting you to the moderation team when you say something that they don't like.

19. Vagabond Sam

Vagabond Sam Avatar

I don't think the current drama would look bad for Portalarium if their communication strategy was better developed.

A lot of developers gather a lot of word of mouth with a few well thought out words in places like Reddit.

They can't change the actions but you can look awfully good to customers when you interact positively in a negative environment.

They do have some image issues around the having community of being too insular and its a simple easy fix to put policies in place to stay to improve that

20. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

But what is wrong with making their own flock? I guess that's the part I don't understand. There are really so many other games out there... Why continue lurking about and trying to drag others down? If this is not "bad behavior" then what would you characterize it as?

I guess the way I see it, there will always be some legitimate reason for people to be upset about anything. After a point, it becomes a choice to continue to be upset about it, or to just move on to the next thing.

There are plenty of flocks to choose from. It's just sort of incomprehensible to me why a person would both think so poorly of SotA, yet want to be part of the flock.

Sir Cabirus and Ravicus Domdred like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.