Make reddit more positive.. attempt 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Preachyr, Jun 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

RG came to reddit some time ago and actually had some good discussions and at least seemed to want to listen or play nice. It would be cool if he would do that more often.

2. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

Agreed... among the Big Three of Portalarium, Lord British has the best track record when it comes to talking to people... Chris always gets into trouble... the same with Darkstarr... LOL...

3. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Honestly rg was too vague and seemed to miss a lot of key concerns in conversations and posts for my liking.

They really need someone better at communication overall. Or chris who can answer detailed stuff, to not shy away from questions. In general when hes explaining things .. or his logic behind it hes pretty good. Just depends on when hes willing to detail.

Mykll likes this.
  4. Kpopgurl

Kpopgurl Avatar

I just played this Forsaken Development game and it raised a lot of good points...

Sir_Hemlock likes this.
  5. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

What central tenant was used for the reasoning behind deleting the entire thread about asking for positive reviews on Steam? From what I remember, was done early last year, and has been locked for well over a year. What additional personal attacks, derailments, etc. happened to a locked thread, that made it worthy to be deleted, other than people on Reddit linked to it and it had a bad look? I agree we can be more civil but there comes a point where changing history looks bad all on its own.

Edit:
    I think some threads were deleted or locked because they were duplicated. Is there no "merge thread" option to combine them into one, and keep the conversation going, versus picking an entire thread to lock or delete?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  6. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

@Vagabond Sam you say 'we' when you talk about reddit and 'you' when you talk about the community here.
    Not sure if you realize that.
    If it's by purpose, it isn't very helpful either.
    If it's not by purpose you might want to think about it for a moment.

Numa, Jaanelle DeJure and Time Lord like this.
  7. Ben_Hroth

Ben_Hroth Avatar

Whoa, sorry I missed this thread until now. I post both in our subreddit and our forum, and find both communities of interest.

I was introduced to Reddit when backing Star Citizen, and simply love the mechanics... Somehow their magic formula for upvotes, downvotes, and bubbling the valuable posts to the top make the service exceedingly useful.

I find both the Star Citizen and SotA forums very thick with a lot of different threads and cannot filter or search efficiently compare to Reddit.

Unfortunately, our subreddit is fairly quiet simply because there aren't a lot of subredditors. It's true those who are there tend to be critical of the game but my experience is that they are passionate about the game (why else would they keep posting) yet feel censored by the forum moderation. They often have good points, and may come across as blunt but in 2017 that could characterize much of the Internet.

All that's needed to improve our subreddit is to participate there more! I think it's common sense but being respectful to everyone there is a real good way to gain my upvotes :).

I will go post something there right now, in fact!

Pickley, Spoon, Sir Cabirus and 3 others like this.
  8. Vagabond Sam

Vagabond Sam Avatar

@Earl Atogrim von Draken forgive me but you'll have to be more direct.

I don't know what you're suggesting.

I'm an active Reddit user and I don't really see myself as part of the forum community here in significant enough way to use an inclusive pronoun.

If my use of incisive and exclusive pronouns to identify my online habitats have some underlying meaning, I assure you its unintentional.

I find it is helpful to phase myself in a way that makes it clear to those who don't go to Reddit that I came here as a member of that community when i noted the topic of this post was to seek a way to make the interaction of what are currently two discreet communities, more useful.

GreyMouser Skye likes this.
  9. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

That's quite an exclusionary thing to say and exemplifies what a lot of people are accusing this community of.

10. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

I suggest nothing. Merely pointing out what i realized reading the last four pages.
    Beside that, i am not going to have a part in this discussion.
    As i already stated in the deleted post: reddit isn't for me. Not because of SotA. Just because it isn't my cup of tea.
    So there is nothing i could add, be it good or bad.

Numa and Time Lord like this.
  11. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

I can't see how Port. trying to do anything on Reddit will ever have a positive benefit. They would be in a place they have basically zero control over and it will be shooting fish in a barrel for the trolls and the Shroud haters. If anything could happen,it would be that trial accounts have one place in these forums to ask questions and seek help. Maybe that will keep them off Reddit.

Time Lord and Alley Oop like this.
  12. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

[​IMG] But those are your words you are using and not mine :) @Vagabond Sam :)
    I appreciate that @Vagabond Sam and you're welcomed by me here to participate. I'm happy you enjoy reddit and can tolerate it more than I wish to :) You feel the same there as I do here within our SOTA forums.
    I do thank you for the invitation @hroth :) but I have only limited "Time" o_O and I don't think they'd tolerate or enjoy me there anyway :p I think our friend @Vagabond Sam makes that point abundantly clear as well as our Developer who posted his feelings he brought back from there. "reddit" just sounds like a very SOTA hostile environment... and no amount of my interaction there is going to change that, it's only going to take away from what Time I have here where all the more correct information is.

But slandering posting players here isn't going to attract this player there @Vagabond Sam and I'm not sorry about that, I'm just stating that you seem to represent what I wouldn't enjoy replying to, with you having such a hostile nature to place your words in my mouth :confused: which is something I take issue with :) when it comes to being "invited anywhere". So please keep up the good fight there for our game and when you run out of toleration there, please come back here because you seem to be an alright person other than the assumption parts of what I've said here ;)

~Time Lord~:)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  13. Vagabond Sam

Vagabond Sam Avatar

@Time Lord

I think you're saying something different.

You think I'm saying something different.

Let's just call the whole thing off.

14. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Yes, I think we differ @Vagabond Sam , but I still think you're a good person ;)~TL~

15. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:eek: "An Open reddit Day Challenge!" :confused:

@Vagabond Sam , @Preachyr , @hroth and others, the more I ponder on this, the more it leads me to challenge. I tend to think militarily about things because it's my background... art of war and all that o_O...

Our last developer came away in not such a good mood and I may not either, but, within the art of war there are ways which preclude any battle's success, and your cause and the cause of many reddit fans here seems to be of falling back or recruitment in nature. Because you are so adamant about this cause I admire you for placing up your unbridled passion for it's addressing.

If you all can get 10 players to commit from this thread, I'll try and convince some of my more affluently known SOTA friends to attend a few short "single day assaults" if we all do this on reddit. Lord British himself has said on more than one occasion that he enjoys his games that reach outside of his gaming world and touch upon reality. Through such "single day assaults", then we may have a chance to not only break some ground and make headway there, but possibly to pave the way for some of our development team to again join in the melee.

If it's done as a group in a team effort and only involving a day's time which would be announced well ahead of time and well PM planed as to taking points, then with our intent, good information and solidarity within our ranks, we could see something we wish to do on some regular basis, "as a special one day event". Attack without warning, attack with good talking points and with good support, then ground can be (as within the art of war) shown to be our territory whenever we wish it to be, and thereby taking ground without ever holding it, because of it's temporary nature.

Just some thoughts, with a challenge within it o_O You get 10 that will participate on one single day, you announce that day well ahead of time, and I'll see what I can do with all of my heart into the cause, yet under it's founders leadership, which isn't me, it's who those first 10 would be! :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool: and then The Overblown Long Winded Royal Idiot of the Realm, "Time Lord" :p will follow right along with all he can, whatever that may be o_O~Time Lord~:D

16. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

That's what I said, not many agreed with me.

They are already in a place they have basically zero control over, it's the internet. They only have control over a very small part of it. Refusing to participate outside of this community just re-enforces negative narratives that already exist. Expecting people who have been using the internet and/or the web for decades to confine their activity to this one website is unreasonable.

I respect your background @Time Lord , but this language and metaphor is the opposite of participating. If you assault, they will defend, nothing will be gained. The results of the one day 'battle' will be used as further evidence for months and years to come.

17. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

The challenge stands no matter what it's called. I come from a place in the military that was pushing for Peace & Love Assaults ;) So pardon what people may take it as with the words "I use". Make up your own and go with it! :D But that place was toxic enough that it effected one of our development team in a toxic way. Throughout the thread on the subject, reddit battle worn people keep expressing their views as ones who came back here to heal up and recruit those who would return with them.

This is about how to deal with that and turn it around ;)~TL~

18. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

It seemed to me he went in with exactly the 'do battle' attitude you're talking about, and he got the sort of results I'm suggesting you'll get if you do the same. If you barge into an (any) existing community with the expectation that you're going to have arguments then it's likely your expectations will be met. If you subsequently ignore said community then you leave the impression that you just turned up that one time to be argumentative. The solution to making the subreddit more positive is not to do argumentative fly bys, but to participate in a positive and regular way.

Preachyr, Dantuin, Time Lord and 2 others like this.
  19. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

So, what I'm getting from all this is that nobody is welcome, everyone should walk on their tip toes, reddit with a chip on their shoulders, a touchy wound and an axe to grind aye o_O? I'm reading allot of sad stories here about reddit from toxically injured people with little toleration for a sense humor o_O... Sounds like an extremely bleak place to "want" to post any articles there.

"Want" being the source of motive to visit there to share views, sounds to me like there needs a plan of action... unless the word "action" is somehow offensive as well... hu o_O?

So, what action would you propose @Wintermute of CoF ? I mean, what consolidated "group effort" do you see as being viable there? A dissimilated group view seems necessary in some form or another. The dispersed batch of SOTA Forums posting players seems to have failed, so all that's left is a concentrated group effort which would not tax our members into becoming disgruntled as to become dissatisfied with their own SOTA experience.

We need to have good talking point articles which highlight why we like the game and ignore those who question our happiness with it.

But first, I want to see 10 people concerned enough that would join in any group "temporary single day effort" before I ever invite anyone into such a toxic situation. "We can't control anybody", but we can ask some to share a single post of their own, and then have others that support that view. When that group action has a chance of coming (at least) x=10, then you have something to work with and comrade around. Otherwise it's a dispersed batch of players wading into a radioactive wasteland, where they too can then come here and be touchy and upset with hurt feelings needing friends.

So what's the proposal here :)?
    my challenge still stands, no matter what anyone would like to call it, because that isn't the point, yet it points to the light of the only way through the darkness, "which is reddit" o_O...
    ~Time Lord~:)

Mykll likes this.
  20. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

I attack the Reddit... with Magic Missile. ;)

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.