Open Letter to Mr. Garriott - the pay to play thing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Helix, Jun 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Really?

That's so insulting. Seriously, all the hard work the developers put into this game and all the feedback that's been given. The multitudes of features that were risky and that aren't in other games because the publishers are trying to make easy quick money, and that's the route you go? To boil the game down to "ultimate collector"?

Ya know, it's really unfortunate that Portalarium "chose" not to have enough funding to need alternative sources. It's really very disappointing they "chose" to have a small development team. It's incredibly sad that they make these "choices" for themselves when it would've been so easy for them to just staff up 100 extra people and obtain $50 million more so that they could recreate "the magic" of UO by not selling different colored furniture in the add-on store. :confused:

I get that you don't like it, that's been made perfectly clear. But please stop making up a false narrative. It's not just annoying it's morally wrong.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    ikickbutt and fonsvitae like this.
  2. Autumn Willow

Autumn Willow Avatar

You're right I was over-simplifying the source of obtaining the hood. My apologies, I was just using it as an example to illustrate to reuge.

The mechanics of the game does allow a player fresh out of soltown to be decked out all the end game gear though cash should they choose to. There are many other games with mechanics that prevent this from happening. And that's just the combat aspect of the game.

Aside from that clarification I think we should continue to, as you suggest, agree to disagree. :)

P.s. To answer a question, yes I personally feel the possibility of rmt taints most aspect of the game.

Mykll likes this.
  3. Autumn Willow

Autumn Willow Avatar

The "ultimate collect aspect" of the game. Not that the game is ultimate collector only. Just the part of the game that appeals to collectors. Be cool Drocis. Please read my posts in context and not pick out specific words to rage it.

There are people who like acquiring rare stuff from the store and trading for it.

How is that a false narrative? I know many players who snap up every single rare add on store item because it gives them joy. So there are players who enjoy such things. Their monetization method definitely appeals to players who enjoy such things right? That's why it works.

Mykll likes this.
  4. Drocis the Devious

So what?

To be more precise, why does it matter what people wear? Why must new players in soltown where lame starter stuff? What purpose does that serve?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  5. Drocis the Devious

The narrative you're using is that Poratlarium made a choice to have the add-on store verses other viable options. Which is false. They didn't have a lot of options and the add-on store allowed them to create more funding that would otherwise not be there.

The other part of your narrative is that the game lacks the magic of UO because players in SOTA may spend money to get items that you personally consider "end game". Yet in UO there was always RMT and the same exact thing happened there it just wasn't out in the open like it is here. So the magic you're talking about is an illusion or a figment of your imagination, but it's false nonetheless.

Elwyn and fonsvitae like this.
  6. Autumn Willow

Autumn Willow Avatar

Your constant accusations of falsehood is rude and pointless. Which is what I said earlier about not acknowledging without dismissing.

By your own words "There weren't a lot of options" so they chose this one. So why false?

Chill out Drocis, hahaha, stop getting so offended by the opinions of others. Your views are opinions as well. Breathe... Read... Understand.

Mykll likes this.
  7. Drocis the Devious

Actually you've accused me of many things, only to fain an apology later. It's a trend.
    I already explained it above.
    Some of my views are opinions. But the view that this is not a pay 2 win game is a fact. Even if you ignore it and make up false narratives. Even if you say hahaha when you're saying "you mad bro?"

Have a good day.

fonsvitae likes this.
  8. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Can you two please stop running in circles? You managed to bait each other for eight pages now Oo that's impressive. But not really in a good way.

Koldar, Mykll, Autumn Willow and 2 others like this.
  9. Autumn Willow

Autumn Willow Avatar

It's based on your opinion of the narrow and unyielding definition of pay 2 win. It's not a fact.

As mentioned in a now deleted post. Show me a few reputable sources that define pay2win way you do. Perhaps in pm so as not to derail the thread.

@Earl Atogrim von Draken, if you've noticed. I was attempting to bring it back to the concern of the OP. But I guess did get led astray again.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  10. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Yes, you are both very passionated about this topic Hehe.
    Let me try to help out.

In my opinion this game isn't pay 2 win. For me pay 2 win means you have to pay to have any chances to win at all.
    Not: you can pay 2 win. You can pay 2 win on almost every mmo like game. In most games that's not legal. Here it is. Does it matter? No in my opinion it doesn't. Because Port is locked out of the income generated in the secondary market. Like with leveling services.
    At the moment I am doing a little selfexperiment. I put off all my founder stuff and played without the benefits and store items i own. It worked pretty good. I needed roughly four weeks to farm a deed and another two to farm a house. And I am a lazy Bastard. Everybody else would possibly be able to do it in half the time. And no I am not adv lvl 90. I hit 41 yesterday ^^

That beeing said, I do agree that we need more Sexy stuff that can only and exclusively be produced by crafters. Not just that they can as well produce a more plain version of item store item x but more stuff like the wall hanging trophys ONLY crafters can build.

11. reuge

reuge Avatar

Just because someone believe something wholeheartedly doesn't make it the truth.

To each his own. I am glad you guys enjoy the add on store. You deserve a good pat on the shoulder. Please help to finished the game so we can see the end result and make a judgement call for ourselves.

mass, Autumn Willow and Mykll like this.
  12. fonsvitae

fonsvitae Avatar

@Baron Drocis Fondorlatos you could not have said it any better.

@Earl Atogrim von Draken great point.

13. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

I call shenanigans, I haven't seen a deed for less than 80-100k, if you are breaking 2 - 3k gold an hour with a level 41 solo, you are playing a different game than I.

14. Earl Atogrim von Draken

So you are call shenanigans and after that you counter with an assumption based on.....?
    Selling ressources was my key to victory.
    I only farmed goldcoins as byproduct.

fonsvitae likes this.
  15. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Btw.
    100k / 2k = 50 Hrs = 2.08 Day. With 2hrs farming only gold a day that would be 25 days.
    4 weeks have 28 day.
    So...uh....?

fonsvitae likes this.
  16. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

I wouldn't call hard farming a full 2 hours a day particularly lazy.

mass likes this.
  17. Earl Atogrim von Draken

You are entitled to your opinion of course.
    Non the less: getting a deed and a house isn't very hard at the moment in my opinion.

Autumn Willow likes this.
  18. Autumn Willow

Autumn Willow Avatar

Just needed to point out that if you buy a deed from the add-on store, or furniture and dyes etc. Port, imo, isn't totally locked out.

They are pretty much locked out of power levels unless the payment demanded is in store credits or cotos.

Carry on!

19. Autumn Willow

Autumn Willow Avatar

Nice experiment. 1.5 months ain't that bad. It's a pot village taxed deed? Or a row deed?

And will you be continuing your experiment on how long it'll take to move on to a bigger house?

20. Earl Atogrim von Draken

That is indeed correct.
    If you care, i would recomend to take a look at the eve online ingame economy (it would just bust this topic if we discuss that in detail here).
    There aren't a lot of voices that proclaim eve is pay 2 win.
    Well, at least not the last time i looked hehe.

Elwyn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.