Why are my fellow avatars making the case for closed development?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Poor game design, Jun 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

2. Julian Baskerville

Julian Baskerville Avatar

They have (in my understanding...as long as they paid the game price and get access to this forum)! Nobody has "Malintent" when comming here. But people have different oppinions, yet not allways the ability to express them as we, or others, would have put it...multiply that with the faceless "the internet" and you have the typical gaming Forum. We are talking about a pc game, something that is ment to entertain us.

I am not deffending anyone...just saying people have good days and bad days...and if a bad day hits on a little frustration with the game...well...sh** happens.

Mykll, Jaanelle DeJure and Time Lord like this.
  3. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

You asked this question:

I answered that question.

Thanks for keeping things classy. /s

Mykll and Time Lord like this.
  4. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Being the person who posted question #1, I legit wanted to know when the next call for NPC's would be. I love SOTA, I could care less if it takes another 5 years for episode 1 to ship. I just wanna make sure I don't miss the next call for NPC's.

5. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Perhaps Lum the Mad could/should make sure any calls for NPCs are included in the weekly update notification so those that don't frequent Dev+ (I'm included in that group) would be notified.

6. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

I'm referring specifically to people who became disgruntled with the game long ago, and take it upon themselves to defame Portalarium in other forums and blogs. I'm referring to people who are actively attempting to prevent new players from coming in, while having left the game themselves months, or even years, ago.

7. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

It's ok to ask question one. :)

It's just how it's asked that is sometimes troublesome. There have been other people that have made a huge drama stink about the fact that they do not currently have an NPC in the game. It's a legit question to ask, but I don't think it's a legit question to spam around the internet and freak out about.

I have an NPC in the game, but only because I answered one of the very first requests for NPC's in the game. Since then I've refrained from submitting more (something I would not be surprised to learn others have done multiple times). I know this is a pledge reward, but there are all kinds of pledge rewards that remain unfulfilled, and the point I was trying to make was not about the question itself but more about how it's asked and the amount of "wtf!!!1!!!11!" that seems to follow it around for some people.

Many of us are very passionate about the game, and I do understand that communication from Portalarium is sometimes plain awful. But that doesn't mean we need to show the worst sides of our personalities, lose all form of patience, and say the sky is falling. Because if there's one person that hasn't had a pledge reward fulfilled, there's probably at least one other person that is just as entitled to that pledge reward. Just send in a customer support ticket and relax.

Btw, High Baron O'Sullivan, I wasn't thinking about you when I wrote the OP. Good luck getting your NPC into the game. Hopefully Portalarium will communicate better about this in the future. It would be nice if they created a form on the account page to ensure everyone had the same opportunity to have an NPC in the game (even if there were just large clumps of NPC's somewhere - like a mine or a large party).

8. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

It was a follow-up question. I am attempting to understand your viewpoint, yet you seem somewhat evasive about it.

Do you think that feeling betrayed by RG/Port justifies defaming them?

You remark about the classiness of behaviors exhibited by people here in this forum, yet seem tolerant of other people who are behaving in extremely unclassy ways elsewhere. Or at least, you seem very reluctant to say anything critical about those behaviors.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
    Time Lord likes this.
  9. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

10. Julian Baskerville

Julian Baskerville Avatar

I understand you...but...

How do you react if your on the side seat of a driver that is not slowing down while the light ahead is red? Do you say nothing in hopes that everything goes well? Or do you scream STOP and start to bang your feet to make him stop?

Some here see the light ahead green...and are happy to enjoy the ride, and some see it red cause its not going where they liked it to be going.

Mykll, Kaisa, Jaanelle DeJure and 3 others like this.
  11. Morgoth redbeard

Morgoth redbeard Avatar

i love the game got nothing bad to say against it sure its work in progress and not always going the way i want but if evry thing went my way there be a difrent game and moust lightly not inoyable by any one but me so keap up the good work port

i normaly look forward wen i play a game and lissening to bad rep thats flat out a lie i dont bother much abouth sure it hurt the game but some evil guys and ladys are out bordom or some thing else just talking **** as it make them feal good

to all of you that do that go fish and lets dev go on abouth there bisnice

this is only game i played since uo got out so many years ago that made me realy feal like a happy guy for a long time wen i furst started play only uo made me feal like that befor and well uo dead to me so i stay here :)

personaly wen i am unhappy with some thing in the game that is not a bug or game brakeing and that is intentionaly
    instead of go out in the forum makeing evry one feal sad i just keap it to me self (if only more guys did that )

Thwip, Mykll and Time Lord like this.
  12. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

We appear to be talking past one another.

There are plenty of people here in this forum that have concerns about the game and/or its management team, and who voice them quite loudly and frequently. Myself included.

But we/they stop short of defaming Portalarium.

If I were in the passenger seat of your hypothetical car, the last thing I would do is start insulting the driver and screaming out the window to everybody else about how crappy of a driver they are.

The individuals I am referring to may have legitimate concerns about SotA and/or Portalarium.

The reason they are outcast from the community while other critics remain is not because they have concerns, but because they refuse to address their upsets in a manner which is generally considered acceptable.

They are choosing to behave like trolls. Nobody is forcing them to do this.

Moreover, behaving like trolls clearly isn't resulting in getting their needs/wants met, or their concerns addressed. Therefore it leaves me wondering if these individuals truly want what's best for the game, or if they are simply out for revenge over their hurt feelings and unmet expectations.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
    Time Lord likes this.
  13. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

And if you choose to voice your concerns, but not scream at either the driver or out the window to every passer by, you're a White Knight/Fanboy.

14. Drocis the Devious

That's not a fair perception.

I can easily do the same thing to you by saying something equally absurd, like this:

How do you react if your on the side seat of a driver that is not moving while the light ahead is green? Do you scream START MOVING and start to bang your feet to make him advance? Or do you assume that the driver may have a reason for what he's doing and wait patiently so that you're not distracting him?

Some here see an experienced driver that has control of the wheel...and are capable of waiting patiently or at the very least not being disrespectful and overly aggressive, and some see a green light and are prone to baby fits because the ride is not going where they liked it to be going.

I think that there's a middle ground that should be respected here. The development teams makes a lot of mistakes but in the end we're all in this together. The problem is that we have people in our community that would rather see the whole thing fail if they can't get their way. If they can't scream and yell they'd rather see it fail. If they can't ask the same questions over and over, live in the past, or be completely unaccepting of change, they'd just assume the game failed for everyone since it's failing for them.

This isn't something that is debatable, it's well documented throughout the last 4 years. We're all collectively in this together, so if a group of people is doing nothing but being negative and creating a lot of drama, that does impact the driver and no one else is going to steer us to the final destination but Poratlarium. No amount of screaming and bad mouthing is going to improve that.

Jaanelle DeJure likes this.
  15. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

My viewpoint of what? I asked BDF what he was trying to achieve with his post, when he stated what that was I explained why I thought it wouldn't be helpful, he accepted my point but disagreed, we both moved on. You asked "why do some people behave this way" and I attempted to explain. Why is my viewpoint relevant to any of that?

I am not in a position to initiate court proceedings over this, and I am not in any position to meet the legal criteria to prove defamation against Portalarium. As I said above, why would we waste our time discussing this?

"Fat people" were equated with "bad people" and death wished upon them. If you are happy with that sort of thing happening on our forum feel free to ignore it. It's not necessary for me to criticize everything I disagree with everywhere else on the internet here on this forum for any criticism I make here to be valid.

16. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

All I'm asking you here is whether or not you feel that the behavior of those individuals who can never be appeased is justified or appropriate.

You appear extremely resistant to answering that kind of question. Or possibly offended by the question itself. But that's alright, you don't have to answer it. We can just let it drop.

Wintermute of CoF likes this.
  17. Drocis the Devious

I think @Wintermute of CoF has been fairly reasonable in his responses. Especially the point about making a joke (and I'm sure it was a joke) about people being fat and coming to harm. I doubt you're in favor of that, and it's not a good light for our community. Again, a joke in poor taste is still in poor taste even if the poster didn't mean to imply it literally.

We should all be able to agree on at least that much.

18. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

I am truly shocked at the degree to which some people rise up to defend others who are behaving as trolls.

It's also extremely ironic in the context of a game that largely explores what happens when compassion for the suffering of others becomes corrupted by sympathizing with those who are unwilling to let their hurt feelings and disappointments go.

Oops.. was that spoiler? :confused:

Time Lord likes this.
  19. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Sure, I think we should all be able to agree that joke was in poor taste.

Even more so, I think we should all be able to agree that the behaviors of certain individuals that you are discussing here are in extremely poor taste. So I'm not sure why @Wintermute of CoF seems unwilling to acknowledge that, but I'm sure they can speak for themselves, if they wanted to.

20. Drocis the Devious

Yes, for me the pay to win arguments are lacking even the slightest degree of reason or flexibility. The Add-on store in and of itself is evidence (for them) that the game is pay to win. It's reminiscent of using political tactics when the facts don't support your cause. Ignore the science, ignore the nuance, create a black and white strawman and just beat that thing to death. Focus on the fears of the common folk "pay2win!!!1!!" and overtime hope that it degrades the facts enough to get the change you desire.

It's disgusting in real life and it's disgusting here.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    Elwyn, Lord Ravnos, fonsvitae and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.