What does "adventurer level" actually do?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nikko, Jun 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

Can someone who has significant experience, and a solid understanding of adventurer level chime in on this? I am currently a somewhat casual level 83. I feel like I am just now starting to fully understand the game, after hundreds and hundreds of hours. We seem to have this hidden value called the "adventurer level" that has a huge impact on what you can and cannot kill. Please advise using facts where possible. There are a ton of opinions out there, but I'm not really looking for what people *think* adventurer level does.

Also, if this thing truly has that large of an impact on what you can and cannot do in the game (in combat vs. NPC mobs), why is it hidden in a giant text log file that no new player will ever see?

Thank you.

2. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Determins the enemies *color/difficulty * to you.

Which plays a big part in miss rates and.... not sure what else.
    General description of difficulty difference

3. Metalocalypze

Metalocalypze Avatar

Good question Nikko. Curious myself as I've seen Devotional buffs just for Advy level but like yourself have no idea what's actually being affected

Time Lord and Cordelayne like this.
  4. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

So... Illiott was telling me that if your adventurer level is high enough (and it doesn't seem to matter what skills you have all of this XP in), you can just crush a dragon with little to no armor on... just because your adventurer level gets higher than that dragon. Is this really the case? Why is there this hidden mechanic that means I will automatically be better than X foe just because I have a ton of XP poured into some skills I'll never use? It is sort of like the resistances... we seem to NEED to pour XP into many different schools that we'll likely never use just so the adventurer level rises. Am I totally wrong on this?

Time Lord and Stundorn like this.
  5. Fruck

Fruck Avatar

It for sure affects both your rate to hit the enemy and their chance to hit you. Alvl matters a lot, which is odd why they hide it, its not just your skill level in dodge, its that plus your alvl.

I dont use the alvl buffs because it also affects the amount of XP you get from mobs, but Im also in the 90-something alvl.

6. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Fight an orange or red. Then fight a green.

Use the same skills.

Theres your answer. Hit rate for sure.. im not sure what else is effected tho it sure feels like dmg n such aswell.

Wish i could add more

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I do not think the adventure level buff effects the exp from mobs. I get 8000 per shock monkey gold with and without it. It does give you more focus and health, I think it also effects carry capacity. As said above, the color of the mobs giving you a better chance to hit and seems to decrease damage and hit rate on you. Many skills are calculated with adventure level. Now, crushing a dragon with little to no armor on, I would have to see that to believe it. If I do not have my buffs up and wearing at least some meteoric chain armor, dragons just deal to much damage even for me and I am adventure level 114 and use the adventure level buff.

8. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

I am also very confused on this. I only play about 4 hours a week but feel I should still be higher than the lvl 66 that I currently am. I only focus my skills in a limited number of trees do I need to focus in other areas to raise adventure level? Getting 70 sometime in the near future would be nice but the game gets a bit "grindy" at times I feel. Anyway, any advice is welcome! :)

Time Lord, Stundorn and Nikko like this.
  9. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

adv level is based on all the xp you have ever earned. where you apply it, or what you have since lost to decay, is irrelevant.

10. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Thanks Alley, so basically I just need to keep grinding away then? :)

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Alley Oop

yep, there's no strategy.

Aldo, Time Lord and Cordelayne like this.
  12. Julian Baskerville

Julian Baskerville Avatar

With all the open skills and freedom in character development...there needs to be a base % on about everything that you alter ego interacts with in the world. Thats the A-Level as I understod it.

Time Lord and Cordelayne like this.
  13. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

Thanks for all of the feedback. Starting to understand this better and better. I especially appreciate those who are waaaay up there in adv level giving info on their own experiences. I am astonished at the fact that I could play this game for another year at the rate I am going now, and still likely not make adv lvl 110. I feel like I have played quite a bit to get to level 83. Crazy stuff. I guess in a way, that's good. I don't want to have a "perfect character" over night. That's a great way to lose interest.

Time Lord, Stundorn and Alley Oop like this.
  14. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

So what are these "devotionals" as I have seen then called? Does this have something to do with story line? I have heard of them a few times, but never done this. If it buffs up adv level, I'd think that's a pretty important thing to do. Is this a new mechanic?

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Alley Oop

town blessings

Time Lord likes this.
  16. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

There is a few minor things (and the devs are taking even more things away that relate to "adv lvl") but mostly its a number to match how many xp you have. So instead of saying "I have 500 million xp" you can say "Im lvl 110"

Time Lord and Net like this.
  17. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Adventure Level is a stat that is factored into many combat formulas. Before many of the current game mechanics were added (resistances/attunement/etc.) to the game, your Adv. Lvl was a key component to combat stats. @Chris has been slowly removing or diminishing the affect that Adv Lvl has in these calculations... however, they are still prevalent in many combat calculations to some extent.

I would suggest reading up on Chris's blog in the Dev Blog forums to see what changes he's been making recently.

Time Lord and Nikko like this.
  18. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

Thank you so much for that link!

Time Lord likes this.
  19. Net

Net Avatar

You do not need to pour xp anywhere to get high Adventurer level, AFAIK it is based on the xp you got overall and does not matter how much of that is in your pool or various skills.

That being said, I dislike levels especially such as adventurer level that mean you cannot kill something or something cannot kill you just becaause of the level difference instead of your actual skill and playstyle.

20. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

The specifics seem cryptic, and hard to really determine. It seems like it is pretty important, yet not many people know *exactly* how it impacts our characters. I am glad that Chris is diminishing the impact it plays on characters, because what it feels like to to me is that it is a mechanic of the old SotA (before skills) that is sort of hitch hiking, and still hanging around today. It makes the skills part of the game feel like a lie to me, because there is this underlying all powerful "Adventurer Level" hidden deep in the bowels of the game that still plays such a large role on what I can and cannot do (in combat). According to what I have learned, I could take only one skill that I never use, like "collar recovery" up to level 150 with years of grinding, and my character would be MUCH more powerful from it. THIS is the part I do not like. If I pour hundreds of millions of XP into collar recovery, I should be the exact same character, but just really really good at recovering the taming collars.

Time Lord, Hornpipe and Daxxe Diggler like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.