Single Player: Offline

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Juvir, Jun 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juvir

Juvir Avatar

So i'm curious, but is there any differences currently between playing this online, and playing it offline: SP? Because i'm not sure how someone could feasibly get through all the content in this in single player mode if it's just an offline version of what we all play.

2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Great question!

I hope this helps you:
    There's also the fact that all of the pledge and I believe the add-on store items are included in the offline mode (for free!).

As for completing the offline mode so that it's balanced for a single player, I believe the developers are in the process of doing that and still plan to perform a polish on the offline mode so that a single player can get through it. However, how they're going to balance that out for single player online mode is a mystery to me.

Time Lord and discipleofweb like this.
  3. Juvir

Juvir Avatar

Awesome! That's good to see that the entire game will be enjoyable as a single player Ultima style game! And yes, i'm curious how balance will be put in place for single player: online, as well as friends online modes. When the wife and I originally purchased, we had intended to have our single player characters, and then characters we could play (just the two of us) in friends online mode. As of yet it does not seem we will be able to complete a lot of the game with just the two of us, nor does it seem likely that will be the case, as the FO mode seems to be used more for people who want to farm when a scene is busy.

4. Julian Baskerville

Julian Baskerville Avatar

Attention Attention...Lord_Darkmoon answer incoming in 3....2.....1....

;)

Time Lord, Kambrius and Hornpipe like this.
  5. Drocis the Devious

I'm not sure how balanced the main quest line is right now, I know they've been working a lot on that.

But I do know that as you gain more and more XP you can pretty much destroy just about anything that is not a giant boss character (like a Dragon). Even that is eventually obtainable for some builds. So I think you and your wife should collectively begin to see more success once you hit the 50 to 80 adventurer level range. That's really the sweet spot for the power curve in the game.

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Juvir

Juvir Avatar

I've seen Lord Darkmoon's post about being disappointed this isn't Ultima VII, and i'm not going to try and compare this to that. It's not worth the headache, to be quite frank. I personally am almost adventure level 70, my wife is just getting ready to hit adventure level 60. When I mean experience the whole game though, it did include things like dragons, the troll boss, the obsidian forge on our own, etc. Like I said, not likely to happen, but it still would be a nice thing to be able to do.

7. Drocis the Devious

Yeah, Dragon's, forget it! :) You probably need to be a very specialized build at level 100+ to fight a Dragon.

But the troll boss you guys should be able to do now. There are tells for all of the troll attacks and this is an example of "not communicating very well by the development team". For someone that just buys the game and plays it, there's no way for them to really "know" that the troll attacks can all be avoided using player skill. If the troll performs a stomp attack, you can jump to avoid the damage. If the troll swipes his arm you can run inbetween his legs before you get hit. If you stay close, he won't use his ranged attack...etc..

The Obsidian forge is something that really is a two person job, one person to fend off the Fire Elemental's and the other to work the forge. So again, that's a great example of needed balancing for single player modes.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

;)
    Although this thread would be perfect to repeat myself, I won't do it :) Juvir said that he alread read my posts, so he knows everything there is to know :)

9. Juvir

Juvir Avatar

This would also require the forge to power down when you step off of it. Last time I was down there with a guild group it would not power down, and would not stop spawning. Eventually 1 person would not be able to handle that many fire elementals and obsidian golems

10. Juvir

Juvir Avatar

It does make me curious how the Obsidian forge would work in single player: offline though... you can't forge and fight fire elementals...

11. Drocis the Devious

@Lum the Mad, @Berek , do you have anything you can share regarding this? Seems like a very good question that I haven't heard anyone ask before. Maybe no one's thought about this before?

Cordelayne and Time Lord like this.
  12. mass

mass Avatar

I think there are supposed to be NPC companions that help you fight. That may be part of the solution.

13. Juvir

Juvir Avatar

Yes but from the info posted above it does say they have to be given commands, and generally the forge requires a full party to be able to hold while someone is crafting. Having a single companion there who requires commands isn't exactly conducive to being able to craft much before you're both dead.

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Drocis the Devious

Not that I feel this is likely...but I can imagine a scenario where you tell a companion to guard you, and you work the forge while they keep enemies at bay. That seems like a very specific AI that would need to be created, but not outside the realm of possibility. Would be great if the devs could comment on this.

Would make a great Post Mortem question too. ;) I'm kind of interested to know if NPC Guards will have improved AI, so it makes sense to me that all this tech would be leveraged together.

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Juvir

Juvir Avatar

Would have to be one heck of a companion too if the forge mechanics aren't changed. Could you imagine trying to do a control point type encounter (which is essentially what the forge is) in single player offline with just a companion?

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Drocis the Devious

Yes, actually I can.

I think right now that would be very boring and kind of silly. Like in the opening scenes where Edvard walks out and hits skeletons with his fists (or whatever he's doing now days). He's basically an indestructible tank. I would hope that the AI gets better than that.

Time Lord likes this.
  17. mass

mass Avatar

Do we know that we're limited to one NPC companion? (I don't know the answer).

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

The devs will probaby have that sorted out in a month or 3 ;)

Time Lord likes this.
  19. Juvir

Juvir Avatar

I don't think anything has been said definitely, no. I am making what could be a false assumption based off of given info. Since it was likened to the pet command system, and currently you can only control one pet at a time, I was basing it off of that.

Time Lord and mass like this.
  20. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.