Open World PvP..... League?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by OxNull, Mar 21, 2017.

?

If there was a weekly Open PvP on wednesday what would be the best time?

1. 12pm-1pm (CST)

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  2. 2pm-3pm (CST)

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. 4pm-5pm (CST)

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  4. 6pm-7pm (CST)

9 vote(s)
    52.9%
  5. 8pm-9pm (CST)

10 vote(s)
    58.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OxNull

OxNull Avatar

So with the wrapping up of the Virtue League in a couple weeks (Apr 5th) which seems to be a good source of PvP Duels; there is another side of PvP that I think could benefit the PvP of the game as a whole, Open World PvP. Which would be nice to participate in the off season of the Virtue League.

I enjoy recording and participating in these events and would like to have some type of community PvP on a weekly basis, but not more duels..... I think it can be spiced up a bit more. The PvP can pretty much take place anywhere players want it hosted: Ruins, Shardfalls, Blood Bay, Open PvP POTs, or any place that players choose to flag. Im thinking some Gangs of New York style combat: all the boroughs, territories, gangs, crews, guilds, bring what ya got and see what can happen.

I would like to see players of all skill level participate and I know it can be intimidating to know there are Top Tier Player running around that can just one shot you. I wouldn't say this has to be true all the time, especially if this is some type of community event that takes place for the benefit of all parties involved. Its not hard to believe there would be some type of "Code". Many type of sleazy organizations have some loose set of rule sets or code to follow when encountering each other in certain situations and I dont think this has to be any different. If you can look at a player and know you will stomp them when there are other players that would be a better fight, maybe search for glory by taking out the better fight first. And maybe that lower player that could have just left in frustration could find glory with someone closer to their ranks.

But I also get the wanting total blood shed side too. So of course if there was Open World PvP events weekly your safety, items, pride, can not be guaranteed. But it doesn't mean it cant be fun. I believe there are people that want to have active pvp its just in a lull state atm. And if we dont actively try to participate it wont get any better. We wont know things need to be balanced as quickly as it could. There defiantly will be some frustrating times, but I think more activity will only make the PvP in a whole more healthy.

Also I believe there could be room for spectators, players who dont want to participate, but like to watch some good clashes. They could possibly just run around naked to show they are just spectating also taking high ground with buildings or hillsides to get a good safe view.

While thinking of this I do have an idea of an area that would be great to try it out. which is a dedicated pvp town that was crowd funded The Horned Society, with the goal

which sounds good on paper, but then you go to the zone and it actually is a great place to have a Town Dedicated to pvp http://imgur.com/BbBCHik (worth viewing in person, screenshots dont do the zone justice). Players that want to be passive can take refuge in the player towers, or even up by @Atos keep.

Also connected to The Horned Society is another pvp town The Rats Nest which has a lot of twist and turns and dead ends with the housing set up, that it might end in some interesting pvp encounters.

I guess tl;dr, Virtue league ending soon, that is 1v1 pvp. I think there is room for more coordinated open group pvp with tactics that could negate the gaps of a players adventure level, to where anyone interested in pvp should be able to enjoy. Possibly with some loose set of codes that cant really be enforced because of the open pvp aspect, but hopefully honored and upheld by those who think there is validity to them. With the room for spectators that are not interested in pvp, but would like to view or report (dont we have reporters/journalist in wars that are usually not the first target of fire?) and running around naked to signify they're just there to watch. Open PVP POT's might be best because of the void of mobs but allowing bank access, vendors, and vantage points from player housing. Blood Bay is also a good contender, but if we dont get the numbers there could be a lot of running, where the POT is more tighter encounters, but still allowing room to breath. Also the prizes are the loot you carry. There is a PvP Mechanic in place, might as well use it and try it out. Maybe there can be a prize for the person with the most deaths showing a valiant effort in the face of adversity.

Would like to hear if anyone would be interested in more coordinated open world pvp. Or if there is already something like this happening and I just happen to have missed it, but I been play for a bit theses past few months and really haven't seen any coordinated gangs of new york style open pvp encounters. We got a little bit with the friday community cast, but I think we can have more :D

2. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

I would rather have them a reason to go into shardfalls implemented. So far it has been underwhelming but I heard Chris is going to fix the mobs etc in those PVP areas so they get more crowded and people will probably compete to farm in those.

Also we got told there will be reasons for guilds to go to war. I am curious what that will be.

We have arenas that are hardly used, if they are at all. Might arrange meeting times there to do team fights a little more structured.

3. OxNull

OxNull Avatar

I get the open world pvp that we have now, im more talking about something that can be look forward to on a weekly basis. At the moment when wendesday rolls around its like "oh the virtue league is today there will be some pvp duels" It would be nice to log in and be "Oh today is the open world pvp day" and you can look forward to having some open world pvp in place. If there is a coordinated time to meet up I think there will be better turn outs than just roaming that is currently being done, hoping to run into someone. There are some people that are interested in open pvp they just dont flag all the time, so possibly if there was a consistent time/date that players could look forward to, we might see some more encounters, even if its only for one day a week, I would be happy with that.

Time Lord and Vox Aquila like this.
  4. chaoticbeej

chaoticbeej Avatar

Sounds like fun, count me in!

Time Lord, Vox Aquila and OxNull like this.
  5. Thwip

Thwip Avatar

Sounds awesome, I would love to do team PvP.

6. Onyx

Onyx Avatar

Very interesting concept @OxNull. A couple of short comments. Aye, this 3 month season of the Virtue League will be ending shortly and the award ceremony will be held on April 12, one week after the last fights. However the next season will start the following Wednesday evening at 7:30PM. The public is always welcome to come watch.

On a separate note, if you hold your event in the appropriate zone, ie. a dedicated PvP location, those that only want to "watch" need be aware that we have a few very talented thieves skulking about and they will remove your treasures from you with glee. You don't need to fight to be marked PvP in a PvP zone. Just your presence there flags one and all.

ps. Thanks for coming to the Virtue League, @OxNull. You are obviously quite skilled at PvP.

7. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Awesome, count me in - bring on the Open World PVP, thieves and all!

8. chaoticbeej

chaoticbeej Avatar

We may need to find another day for this if VL starts right back up the next week after the season ends.

9. OxNull

OxNull Avatar

Ah yes, if the virtue league is only taking a week or two off there will deff have to be a diff day. For some reason I thought there was a month or two off between seasons. I do not want to take virtue leagues spot. Maybe Saturdays because more people could be available than during the week.

This is all open for discussion on what day would work for most players that would like to participate. I'm glad others are interested too.

@Onyx
    Even though there is open pvp, I still believe there could be specators if players want to just watch.

If the open pvp was hosted in The Horned society there are multiple vantage points to watch also with obsidian towers near the middle of the map spectators could take refuge in those buildings to watch and have 360° view of around them.

Just for insurance, spectators should run around naked or almost naked(reward items) as well as dropping off stuff at the bank. But I do believe if most pvpers participating in this event can ignore the guppies and look for other sharks. But sometimes sharks eat smaller fish and spectators safety cannot be gaurentreed. Doesn't mean they will be griefed, but if you come spectate in a open pvp match the chance of death is possible, but I don't think it has to be continuous if you are spectating.

And if spectators do happen to become a prime target, and a theif happens to get in the tower and pick pocket all the spectators (hopefully they are naked and only have non valued items on them) the specators could plea for help and I'm sure others in the zone wouldn't mind squashing a sneaky thief. Also I own a tower in Horned Society and can give locked permission to the tower so only those that have access can enter. And all spectators are welcome.

But all this is open pvp for me and I find it interesting and fun, if the risks aren't worth it, even when naked and spectating that's understandable. I would like spectators in open PvP though and I believe it could be possible. Cause who doesn't like to spectate on some blood shed?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    Time Lord likes this.
  10. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Would be awesome to take the entire massive "building" zone I have like on my island PoT and wall it with castle walls (already has walls built in at that) and throw in tons of PoT decorations as barriers (imagine lots with costume build block structures) for a huge PvP arena. Spectators can stay up on the walls and run around up there to view. This could be done tourney style.

The only problem is that this would probably take a metro (deco limit) and thats a lot of $$$ to build a PvP flagged PoT.

Time Lord and Vox Aquila like this.
  11. Sheamus McGuinness

Sheamus McGuinness Avatar

This could be a lot of fun, we have certainly tried in the past! Team battles are a good way to do open world PVP imo.

Time Lord, Vox Aquila and Thwip like this.
  12. Vox Aquila

Vox Aquila Avatar

I like your idea and would take part if it is a weekday night. Weekends are harder for family reasons. Also @2112Starman suggestion of a massive building zone sounds fun, capture the castle type event. So just throwing things out there but we could have everyone turn up and then have people choose teams one at a time, this might not go down well but would certainly make it interesting. And yeah, have the lowest ranked choose the teams to make it even more random...that would give the new players a chance and not have an uber group that would just roll everyone.

This is probably getting away from the open world pvp you were suggesting but more PvP events are needed for sure.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Necrothaftis

Necrothaftis Avatar

I,m confused because I open world pvp every day, all day
    What we need is a reason to flag nothing more nothing less.
    But if something more structured is proposed, sure im in !

Time Lord and Stundorn like this.
  14. OxNull

OxNull Avatar

We already have unclouded ruins that have cool trap mechanics that could be used. If we could get a set time and day that people would want to rumble I think it could happen. Unless someone has a PvP POT they would want to host the rumble.

A weekly/monthly group rumble. The score is the amount of kills you get which is already tracked and the rewards are the ransoms and loot you obtain.

It just needs participation and coordination. I think a lot of the current pvp landscape is dealing with 1v1 pvp. I am REALLY curious of how group pvp holds up.

Once a month meet at [insert ruin/shardfall] at [insert time]NBT, only rules are the ones already supported in game.

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

@OxNull; Until we have guild warfare it will entail some logistics and we did plenty of this back in UO Chesapeake. Here is the most simple scenario: 1) we had opposing guilds whose guild leaders set up the location (Day/Time/Place) . 2) Number of combatants per side on a list (can be arranged in discord). I would suggest a 10 on 10 for starters. 3) Common sense and maturity, we had a no loot rule but here you can either do no loot/full loot/10k per player without looting. We also had extra bystanders ready in case someone not in the mix decided to jump in and ruin it (a neutral force). Fought to last man standing.

With a lot of patience this can lead to good friendships, cooperation and this really is the end game we are preparing for at least on land. Once we get pirate ships involved in EP2 then it will be even more interesting *grins*. Brother that was my two cents from years of UO RP/PVP experience. R/Boris/El Pirata

jschoice likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.