1-4 Pine bark per hour?

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Rhiannon, Jun 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

Hello @Chris , our balance guy!

I am a merchant who makes and sell dyes. Nine of the recipes use pine tree bark. Being a merchant, I usually have to buy some of the materials I need to make my wares. I have advertised as much as I'm allowed on the forums, and begged, borrowed and almost stolen all the pine tree bark from my guildmates (they are tired of hearing about it). I finally resorted to buying all I could find from vendors around the world. Those supplies are nearly exhausted. I bought up the last I knew about yesterday at 180gp PER PIECE OF BARK.

So yesterday, I decided to do a bit of a test to see how much bark I could get in the North Naryad Pinelands (which is reported to have a large amount of pine wood). 60 minutes later, I had 3 (t-h-r-e-e) pine tree bark.

EACH dye that needs pine tree bark takes 4-8 bark to make one bottle. Using the bark I had no choice but to buy yesterday, one bottle of dye would cost me 1,440 in bark ALONE to make, not to mention the other ingredients. Since typical pricing is 3X the cost to make, I would have to charge 4,600 for a bottle of green dye to make a profit.

I believe you mentioned recently that the dye recipes are going to change since we have roses now. Can we please look at the pine bark drop numbers and adjust them so that the crafter can make a profit on those items that need it? And do we know when those recipients are changing?

Respectfully,
    ~Rhiannon

2. Venusada

Venusada Avatar

Rhiannon,
    Sounds like they do need to look at drop rates. Does your vendor buy bark?

3. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

Hello Venusada!

Yes, all three of my vendors have 1-2 purchases orders all the time: Rift's End, New Britannian Market and Soryn Fields. 50 pieces each order and I pay 3k which is lower than the going rate but still makes my dyes cost more than I can sell them for (or will sell them for).

4. mass

mass Avatar

I think that's a tier 3 zone. Most of those 'rare' drops drop much more in a tier 5 zone. For what it's worth, Drachvald is full of pine :).

5. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

Pine or Maple Tree Bark is also used in making Piece of Canvas and Bark Bread.

discipleofweb likes this.
  6. mass

mass Avatar

@Rhiannon just dropped off 100 at your NBM vendor.

7. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

Mass, thanks! I got the message via my mailbox! Also, I wouldn't be caught dead in a zone 5. Wait, I would ONLY be dead in a zone 5. *laughs*

Mugly I made some Perennial Coast Farmer Leggings this week for the first time and thought "well, there's another item I can't afford to sell!".

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    Spoon, Cordelayne and mass like this.
  8. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

Lower the zone, the lower the drop rate. I'll drop off a couple hundred for you.

9. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

So how does a zone 4 or 5 compare to 3?

10. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

Also, I think recipe should do what Potions did... yield 3 per bottle.
    4 you would like get about 10 an hour... 5 you usually get one very other tree.... or close to 1 in 3. And where di you move your vendor in NBM... there now.

Nvm found... liked the old location better :D PM me if you are in-game. Blade Savage

11. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

Yeah. Bonehead move from my old location. I'm going to get a bigger lot when one opens up. I WAS in game but it kicked me off due to my stupid computer's wifi router. I need some major repairs. BRT.

12. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I had like 70 of these on a vendor for weeks at normal market price and nobody bought them :(

This was in Owls too!

I figured they would sell fast.

13. Lockey2

Lockey2 Avatar

Well, we need more areas that have pine. Far too many have nothing but maple. A few locations have a mix and a small handful have nothing but pine.

14. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

This community is amazing. I try to keep 10 batches of all ingredients to make up a set of my dyes. For pine tree bark, it takes 51 pieces to make a full set of dyes. So I try to keep 510 on hand. This morning I had about 120 on hand. And I needed to make up a bunch of dyes to replace what sold this week.

Because of this post, I have had folks fill my POs and hand me bark for the last two hours. I now have over 550 pine tree bark on hand. Rhiannon's Creations won't be running out of dyes THIS week! Thank you all so much! And when you talk to @Chris , tell him we still need to adjust the bark drops! ;)

Gratefully,
    ~Rhiannon

15. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

The better your forestry skill is, the more bark you should get... no? (regardless of scene difficulty) ? Still have it curve up with higher difficulty scenes, but at least have it influence rates or something...

16. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

Since no change has been made to the tree bark drop rate, I am bumping this thread and asking @Chris to take a look at it while he’s balancing things. Crafters all over New Britannia are asking for help!

Note: I looked in all the usual places for tree bark this morning and only found one vendor with it - at 200gp PER PIECE. This is telling me the drop rates for this much used resource needs to be increased.

17. istyrl

istyrl Avatar

bark is a funny mat in this game that i find completly un-consistent (the mat not the game ;) ). i agree that you may get it while lumberjacking dead trees, you never get it on alive trees that you cut (just try to remove bark from a log you just cut ...), you need to refine it first. bark used to drop from refining pine wood to timber, which makes perfect sense. for an odd reason it is not anymore. why that? this is a basic component and not even a noble one !
    @Chris not that i care much as i never use bark (or rarely) this is the kind of things that should be revised, no? as i always say, consistency is key as well in a game, and this is a very stupid situation where a taylor cannot dye clothes because it has become a luxury item (1600 gold for a grey dye!!!!)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  18. istyrl

istyrl Avatar

no, the best your refining skills the more usable bark you should get, as i said, does mot people that designed the game ever cut a real tree :p ?

19. .rhavin

.rhavin Avatar

How about more receipts for the same item? Would be fun if you could discover more different receipts to get the same item and wouldnt be hard to implement, as a crafting resource is just an entry in the loot-table and a small png for the inventory. Of course, without completely annoying everyone, this should come with an overall ×1.5 of inventory and bank space ;)

20. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

@Rhiannon Pine bark drops from Reapers too. I bet there are quite a few players out farming them, so maybe they can give you a better price than the wood chopping folks.

Spoon and Rhiannon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.