Fishing?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pierre2, Jun 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pierre2

Pierre2 Avatar

Hello i am new in the town. I was like to play with fisherman in UO. but in this game fisherman is quite weird. I made some baked salmons but i don't know if players will buy them. so what can i do with my fishes? i want to make money in game. anyone needs baked salmons? lol.

2. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Fishing is weak atm, though on the near future- list of improvements.

Winfield likes this.
  3. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

So far, fishing is more of a relaxing past time in this game than a profession. If you get your skill up, you can start catching things like cloth armors (really only good for salvaging for scraps and not wearing) and even an Ancient Ring (+1 Intelligence I believe), but there isn't much else you can get besides fish.

I wouldn't plan on doing any fishing to make money in SOTA... at least not right now anyway.

Baked Salmon is a low tier food item and I highly doubt you would get any market to sell them.

Winfield, Sara Dreygon and kqnsu like this.
  4. Pierre2

Pierre2 Avatar

thanks for the information so i'm gonna break fishing for now.
    whats your advice to me? i am new in sota but i play ultima online like ten years.
    what should i do for gold? expect mail and talking oracle :p

Winfield and Sara Dreygon like this.
  5. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Honestly, the best way to earn gold early on is by completing quests. These will also give you a bonus of adventure and producer XP, which you will later use to train up your skills.

For example, if you complete a quest and you see a chat box message (in gold colored text) that says you earned 500 gold and 500 experience... that means you get 500 Adventure XP and 500 Producer XP. This is a great boost because when you use a skill and have it set to "Training" it will remove some of the XP from the appropriate pool and apply it to your individual skill. If you don't get it from a quest, then you need to kill monsters for Adventure XP or Harvest/Craft things for Producer XP. So, before you are strong enough to do either of these things efficiently, the quest bonus XP's are really helpful. Once you get stronger, you will then be able to earn gold better from monsters and their loot... or selling things you harvest or craft.

What town did you start in after visiting the Oracle in the Isle of Storms?

Winfield and discipleofweb like this.
  6. Pierre2

Pierre2 Avatar

started on Highvale first then i was go to nearest cities.

Winfield likes this.
  7. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Try making your way over to Soltown and Solace Bridge Outskirts and doing those quests. Then you should work your way over to Ardoris (and pick up the starting "Love" Virtue quest line). That was the first "starter" area that was introduced into the game and is fleshed out a bit more than the Highvale area quests.

Winfield likes this.
  8. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

@Winfield

Winfield likes this.
  9. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Right now Fishing is mostly a placeholder. We have what, only two or three types of fishable fish? And the way food works, if the recipe doesn't give a good boost, nobody wants it. All you can expect is a few more crafting XP for the cooking, and maybe hope it becomes worth a few more gold to an NPC.

There will be a fishing system eventually, it's just that it takes time to dig through the list of needed features and implement stuff.

Winfield likes this.
  10. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

Fishing can depend on many other systems to be in place - celestial, weather, nutrition, random weights, loot drops, leaderboards, seasons, time of day, crafting, crops, and more. Plus, the skills need to be thought out to make it fun and challenging, but not a grind. Types of fish and bait, messages in bottles, fish nets, soggy books, ... all these sorts of things are possible as they make practical sense.

We wait for the Devs to have time to give it proper thought and proper mechanics. Plus, Fishing could be one of those activities that is always being developed ... perhaps new ideas like "now you can stock the lake and feed the fish" similar to how we can plant crops for harvesting. Who knows for certain.

Maybe we will have fishing hats, perhaps like trophies with different fish hooks/flies we attach. Maybe the more flies in our hats, the better we fish. Again, who knows.

I am truly confident Fishing capabilities will come in time at the right time. It can be a game within the game of sorts and be a great thing not just for the economy, but become a sport and a social activity. There are different types of fishing too, not just hook line and sinker. There could be river fishing - the the rapids - maybe even waterfall fishing.

Fishing could be part of adventuring too! Peril can come to fishing, like sea monsters or fire fish deep in dungeons. When fishing in dangerous waters, you may need a paladin or warrior to defend you as you bait your hook and cast your line. Also, maybe if someone is fishing nearby in a dungeon, anyone close to him or her gets a "calming effect" that helps heal or strengthen the adventurer.

Fishing could enable some social activities or skills. Perhaps someday they create the Storytelling skill and connect it to fishing. How that would work, again, who knows but would be fun to design.

There are a lot of people waiting for fishing to get its love and I think that will come. Patience is a virtue and patience brings in more fish!

FISH!

Montaigne, Zader, Nikko and 4 others like this.
  11. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

Fishing is currently in a place holder state. As Fishing Master @Winfield has spoken, Fishing will come into its own in due time.

Winfield likes this.
  12. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

There should be medium and high-level fish recipes!

Winfield, Nikko and mass like this.
  13. mass

mass Avatar

Making fish more valuable to cooking would be awesome.

Winfield, Nikko and Stundorn like this.
  14. mass

mass Avatar

Sometimes other creatures would very much like to take the fish you have caught. I was once reeling in a tarpon when the line pulled so hard it almost pulled me off the boat and then went dead. I finally got it onboard only to find that that a shark had taken everything except the head. There could be percent chance of spawning different types of mobs on successful fish catching that drop special loot.

Winfield and Nikko like this.
  15. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

Love this post. I really really hope that it gets some love soon. Your ideas here are great, and I can only hope that a few of these things end up a reality. I don't like to fish at all IRL, but I absolutely loved it in UO because of the treasure hunting mechanic. So much fun, and so different from all of the other things I ever did in UO, too!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    Winfield likes this.
  16. Zader

Zader Avatar

I wish I had more hands so I could give this post 4 thumbs UP!

If it works out as the fishing dream you've posted here, I'll never need to play another game :)

Thanks for outlining it so beautifully, I hope the devs use it as a guideline!!

Winfield and Nikko like this.
  17. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

Absolutely! This alone would help a lot. Some rare fish that you catch like 1/1000 times that ends up being a higher level recipe item for food. Such a great idea. A no-brainer, really. Gotta have this.

Winfield and Stundorn like this.
  18. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I cannot wait for fishing to get love with a variety of bait types, different types of fish found in different places around the world and even to getting some warning when you have caught a special fish would be nice.

Can you say 'Cave Fish' that has been affected by living in a dark place somehow, or 'FireFish' caught in lava waters, watch out they may burn you. 'ouch'.

Also a much needed Achievement system would be great to send you to discover fish and reward the player in so many ways for exploring. Also needed would be a daily fishing quest for those who love dailies.

Lot's of past threads on fishing ideas have been seen over the 4 years of development of this game. Such as:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/fishing-ideas-brainstorming.16327/
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/fishing-ideas.37725/#post-428926

I love this map system for fish that I found. It gives good ideas of names of fish and locations.
    [​IMG]

and we definitely need our ice fishing with snowy biomes which was said to be coming one day.
    [​IMG]

And fish lore that gives weight of fish etc as the example below shows:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also chance of sea monsters when we get boating in. I cannot wait for some of these things.
    [​IMG]

And of course treasure hunting would add so much to the over-world map. wow imagine x marks the spots and finding message in a bottles that give treasure location. These could have survey icon attached to activate the treasure hunt for example.

[​IMG]

So many Ideas and a better and more detailed fishing system is potentially one of the most favored requests from this community in the 4 years I have been here. Things to do in this game are few as it is at this point. *taps toe* to the 'wait' emote in RL and in game ;)

Expanding fishing potential, agricultural activities, and a fun achievement system will go such a long way for adding fun and interest to this game. Plus reason to keep playing. ;) @DarkStarr, @Chris @Lum the Mad @Devs @Lord British2 @Lord British

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    Winfield, Montaigne and Nikko like this.
  19. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

You're making me so excited for the future of this game. I am sure that some GREAT things will be coming to fishing. Hard to say exactly when. Also the thought of getting a ship, and exploring the world that way is so awesome.

Winfield and majoria70 like this.
  20. Father Guido Sarducci

Father Guido Sarducci Avatar

I like to fish. I'd like to see all this.

Winfield and majoria70 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.