Death Decay Poll

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by oplek, Jun 21, 2017.

?

What's your opinion on skill/death decay?

1. It's way too punishing, and all loss should be removed from death.

38.6%
  2. I'm generally fine with the system, but perhaps lighten up on the punishment.

4.6%
  3. I'm fine with the level of loss, but would rather it be done differently.

5.0%
  4. I'm fine with the system.

28.9%
  5. It isn't punishing enough. The loss should be greater.

5.4%
  6. Crank it up! I am death incarnate.

6.8%
  7. NEW: Some loss is fine, but the current type and level is excessive

10.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oplek

oplek Avatar

I've seen people say that "most people hate the skill decay system", and I was wondering if that's actually true... or whether it's a vocal minority.

I think this poll will still likely be skewed, because people on this forum are bound to be those who are strongly opinionated, so I expect the "meh" responses to be underrepresented.

2. oplek

oplek Avatar

I guess I'll be the lone guy in the room and say I'm actually fine with how it works. It makes me strategize and think about what I'm doing, and how I'm planning out my character. Coming from games like Eve, I find it to be rather tame.

Black Tortoise and Stundorn like this.
  3. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

No option for "Some loss is fine, but the currentire type and level is excessive".

4. oplek

oplek Avatar

That's the problem of having options that measure more than one metric. Suddenly I have many permutations to cover. I had considered not having the "...but would rather it be done differently." option for that reasaon.

What you're describing is somewhere between options #2 and #3.

Edit: I added in thew new option, so people may want to update their vote.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  5. Merlota

Merlota Avatar

I'm against the entire idea of using death decay as the soft cap. It may not be too punishing now but to work as a cap it eventually has to consume the entire amount of exp earned since the last death.

To work as a cap it is far too punishing
    If it isn't a cap, why bother?

6. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

The problem, as it is always with this kind of poll, is:
    Most ppl won't see it.
    I know 4 ppl who are fine with the loss, 2 who want more, another two that want less, one that wants a totally different system and another 3 that don't give a flying f*** about decay at all.
    Non of them will see this because they abhor this forum and parts of this community.

7. Merlota

Merlota Avatar

A poll on this forum was enough for the developers to determine the future of combat in the game.

The same complaints were made about that poll but if it was good enough for him...

8. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Best I can figure, some members of Port are now professionally invested in the success of the whole "decay as a soft cap and as a way to balance out players that took advantage of flaws in early releases" design element. They are double downing on it in the next release, even if it means rendering one of the rewards for questing obsolete.

Scraps MacMutt likes this.
  9. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Sure, if you hit the numbers his poll had, be my guest *shrugs*

10. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I'm fine .

Level 70, can run t5 loose 6000xp for my first death.

What i want is a death decay plus a sort of decay over time for unused skills, a balancing soft cap to make it impossible for powergamers to be op !
    I am not from the work=reward faction and i see this topic more in detail and different.

If "Balance" end up in time= effort and the only variable what defines the power of my char then is time spent grindig g then it's poorly designed.

The softcap need to limit people who can solo world bosses - I think a troll or a dragon etc... can be soloed in offline SP.

For all Online Modes the MP need to be the measuring mode and bosses need to be group content.

I want a Softcap that ensures and grant us that powergamers aren't op in that way , also and of course while thinking about PvP Zones.

Yesterday a Char with 155 Int and 700 HP wiped out whole Group in a PvP Scene,and there arent the weakest chars, but compared to him we had no chance.
    But we had a friendly talk after that, so no accusation.

I think the measures were broken due to CP , DR Spider and other "exploits" and I think it's not intended to have 50, 100, 150 or 200 GM .

11. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

I can't even imagine the time it would take to get 155 in any of the STR, DEX, INT stats... That is an insane amount of XP just in that one thing! Probably more XP than I have in every single tree and my pool combined.

Stundorn likes this.
  12. Kupursk

Kupursk Avatar

I don't think I can summarize my feelings towards skill decay with any of the above answers, but here's a few points:

• I understand why they did it. It's not really meant to be a death penalty but more of a way to have player diversity, instead of everyone eventually GMing all skills.
    • Still... it "feels" bad. The idea of losing your hard-earned progress is just... psychologically dreadful. Something that really puts me off as a player.
    • I hope there was another system entirely for balancing skills, without resorting to decay and XP loss.
    • That said... I don't have a better suggestion either.

Sir_Michael likes this.
  13. neveser

neveser Avatar

Permadeth or nothing!

14. Zader

Zader Avatar

I need another option :)

I am fine with the current rate of punishment but I'd rather it only accumulate while I'm online.

15. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

I think if you're going to have a poll about a system, the first post should explain how that system currently works, in-game... otherwise, no one is working from the same base of thought and it's somewhat irrelevant, no? Especially one like this, where it seems like it's changing every release!

16. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

A simplified pole should be started for "is Earned experience a good metric to penalize for death". Remove the levels part of that for now as that is being tweaked and also is exponential based on adventurer level. I believe.

The first step is do people want experience being taken and character development moving backward. I for one would rather have a different punishment.

17. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

This poll is good enough to show there is no consensus. That is valuable enough. Simple polls tend to have a strong bias in my opinion, I like this one better.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    Stundorn and thoregundi like this.
  18. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I'd like to see Portalarium incorporate "Poll's" into one of the starting screens for SotA, and make it an option when you log in to take it.

Zader, Lazlo and Hornpipe like this.
  19. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Why even bother? They killed evrry other thread regardding decay.
    Chris said straight up no more talk about it.
    And AMA they said they wont be changing or removing decay, only tweaking it slightly.

So.. whats the point of even discussing decay anymore?

Mata, Stundorn and Scraps MacMutt like this.
  20. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Over? Did you say over? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no! And it ain't over now! Cause when the going gets tough ...... the tough get goin'. Who's with me?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.