Tell me about your trade routes.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by null2, Jun 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Merlota

Merlota Avatar

Good analogy. When the whole resume turns out to be an exaggeration you don't hire the guy.

Salix, MrBlight and Preachyr like this.
  2. Krissa Lox

Krissa Lox Avatar

My apologies @Kigu Starfish (Kor) , I was too caught up in my response to other parts of discussion that I neglected your original questions entirely. :(

When player-to-player mail finally exists, a lot of the trade route stuff will become much easier to see, and if you have something to sell then trade opportunities will likely start coming to you rather than being something you have to actively seek out.

Once we have mail, vendor stocks will immediately change from being a finite set of everything available for sale at a particular time to being more of an advertisement for what can be potentially sold with an invitation to contact for negotiation, and with the easier means of direct in-game communication merchants will have more incentive to start scouring the world to find good suppliers and probably start having to compete for them more aggressively than they do now with our current communication limitations.

I do agree with your questioning the labeling of it as a "game feature" since it has a lot more to do with player-made systems and support rather than being a direct facilitation, but I will point out that there are other economic alternatives a game could have that could hinder or prevent the natural formation of trade routes between players ("Vex's Economy" in UO is one example I can think of offhand, for those who remember it), so there is some meaningful distinction in knowing a game's setup is trade-route-allowing or trade-route-encouraging to players who are seeking that particular merchanting style, even if the trade routes themselves are only between players and not specifically game-provided.

3. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Yeah I am also having a tough time parsing out what he was talking about there. Although I am more apt to take him at his word.

Guilds... Is he maybe talking about BMC? I see their import/export traders all around as well as other ones like EDGE trader. I really don't know much about them, and I don't believe I've ever encountered one of those guild members in game.

As far as arbitrage of resource values... there is some degree of differential in the distribution of resources among regions. Not sure how much of an effect this has on pricing however.

Trade routes..? Well I do happen to know of couple of ways to get into or out of South Paladis that doesn't take one through a Control Point. Is this sort of thing what he might be referring to?

Kigu Starfish (Kor) likes this.
  4. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

The idea was that certain resources would be rarer in some regions than others, so crafters would need to get some from other regions. When there is an actual population, that may work to some extent, but right now the population is so low that everybody goes everywhere anyhow. And the only "regional" resources that have any current demand are really just gold and silver ores/ingots.

5. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

Agreed! And that will come with time.

6. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Yes, and it does not help that one can get just about everything in Deep Ravenswood, either.

7. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

We have guild vendors all over the game.

The people who own them are great about allowing lots of people to use them. So I am not nearly as extreme as some, I am based in Grunvald. I put stuff up on my vnedor there. I then also run stuff over to our guild vendors in Serentie next door. I then also run stuff to my old vendor in central brit as well as a vendor I have access to in Brit Alleys. At times Ill stop and shop at the new market PoT's in that area. Finally, I spend *lot* of time then bouncing to our vendor on the main OWLS strip which has heavy sales so I am doing it all the time.

What am I selling?

I farm now in Ulfheim which is almost completely across the map and I mine in the Epitaph. I make chain gear and sell it on all those vendors. When I get 50 suit, skel bones, Beatles... etc... etc.. etc.. I drop them all over the place.

Basically I am moving stuff around the map all the time.

Now, Im not the extreme, Vox is a mad man, that dude is making million gold deals with all the stuff he moves around. Pure capitalism. He visits every place on the map to find stuff that are deals to resale on his lots all over the map.

Whenever someone says the player economy is not strong I laugh, I sell stuff all the friggen time (and yet I am a pack rat, I still have 10K hides sitting in my chest). Consider that I haven't even had time to play on week days and maybe 4 hours per day on weekends.

Consider I also buy a lot of stuff I find in OWLS and Adoris and drag it around to keep or resale.

You actually gave me a good idea for a stream video.

So... Aye, I have several major trade routes I keep up.

8. mass

mass Avatar

Mine's completely different; I "farm wherever and sell in Owl's Head." :p

9. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

By trade routes, I think they mean, Elysium Mine to Ox Belt\Brittle Brawn to Recall or Teleport Scroll.

The truth is, trade routes neither exist nor are necessary with the way the game currently works.... and that makes me sad.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    Elwyn and Kigu Starfish (Kor) like this.
  10. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

Also, Im not in my guilds officer listing, but im not aware of any communication between my guild and the dev team specific to trade routes, so im wondering who is feeding them information.

Edit: Snarky comment about my old buddy Zeke deleted.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    Kigu Starfish (Kor) likes this.
  11. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

1) Mines

2) Forum Marketplace/Discord

3) In person meet-up or CF Vendor

12. null2

null2 Avatar

So what I am hearing from a lot of folks makes it seem like the trade routes are players selling to players.

So there wouldn't be trade routes in offline mode then?

MrBlight likes this.
  13. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Lol.

Yea kor i think it just comes down to a REALLY loose definition.

Basically i walk to a mine. Get ore. I walk back and put it on my vendor. I walk back get ore. I put it on my vendor.
    You walk from your house to mine. Buy ore. Walk back to house. Make a blade. Put blade on your vendor.

Rinse and repeat.

Basically they are describing player trade as *Trade Routes*, to imply theres more to the mechanic then simply saying * Player Tradeing * .

I cant even think of a single game that doesnt meet this description.
    I was playing saints row and tossed a gun to my buddy. Boom trade route!

Preachyr, fonsvitae and Salix like this.
  14. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

I feel they are really stretching the meaning of "trade routes". And yes - by their definition of trade routes, they are in the offline mode. But when advertised as a game feature, you expect some more elaborate in game mechanics behind it. Saying that a player can buy X in one place, wander over to another area, and sell it in another place or to another player is misleading to some people because... well... just about any game that involves buying and selling stuff allows you to do that. By their definition I can set up "trade routes" in Dark Souls or whatever.

Trade routes to me is I can do things like set up a system or hire NPCs that move goods from A to B for me, or there is a system where I can put up courier contracts for other players to move. Things that have in-game mechanics backing them. Not - I bought 5 bananas in Owls Head and sold them in Soltown so that's the "Trade Route" feature box ticked.

Preachyr and MrBlight like this.
  15. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

15 min ago i setup trade routes in skyrim!

Preachyr likes this.
  16. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

You make that joke, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone, somewhere, made a mod where you can have an NPC buy goods in say... Whiterun and move them to Solitude for you. I've not looked though. That would be something more approaching the feature of trade routes to me.

MrBlight likes this.
  17. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

You guys should probably settle your guild drama elsewhere. =P

18. Balandar

Balandar Avatar

We have the NPC mail delivery system, which isn't a trade-route, but I would like to see something like that expanded and implemented for "trade routes". Quests for delivering goods with pack mules or wagons (preventing recalls/teleports) and have dynamic overland attacks where you have to defend the wagon/mule from bandits.

Edit: Maybe for both for PVP and non-PVP players. So you can hijack someone's delivery if you are PVP flagged.

19. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

Not sure if we are allowed to mention other games on this forum but here goes. Black Desert Online has a trade route function where you can transport NPC sold goods from one town to another and sell them elsewhere at a profit. This is done either on foot, mounted or in player bought or constructed wagons. I dont think we really have anything in this game that could be described as trade routes along these lines, if we did it would be brilliant !

For the record I am not extolling the virtues of BDO - tried it and really didnt like it for many reasons but it does have some good features, proper trade routes being one of them .

Mata likes this.
  20. Mata

Mata Avatar

Not only Black Desert Online... ArcheAge has trade routes... Revelation Online has trade routes... and I think many games more.

Balandar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.