Two Easy Changes to Help New Players

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mystarr, Jun 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mystarr

mystarr Avatar

I have been playing since persistence and I have several friends from other games that have made sota accounts. Here are a couple of things that could easily be fixed that I always have to help them with when they start sota
    • Runic symbols for location names on Novia map. I have had to walk every person I know through the options menu to turn on the option to show names in English below the runic version. This has been frustrating for everyone I know and should be turned on by default. When you are new to the game there are already lots of things to try to figure out. It should NOT require translating the runic alphabet to realize that you are actually very close to that Soltown place you need to go for your quest!!!!
    • Dragging an item over to purchase from an npc vendor should NOT default to purchasing the entire stack. Every new player I know has been confused when they try to buy one sword (or whatever) and it costs thousands because they are actually buying an entire stack of whatever. I have to explain the cntrl/shift purchasing options to them. It should default to buying one item and hold down control if you want to buy the entire stack. (Or maybe default to the choose amount interface and shift buys all and ctrl buys one etc. Defaulting to buying the entire stack confuses new players because it isn't obvious that you are buying a stack and it isn't obvious how to purchase just one item.)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  2. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

For sure for sure.

How do noobs even learn about Shift dragging, anyway?

I remember the first time I bought 6000g worth of crafting fuels... ugh. That was terrible.

3. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

These are definitely one of those minor changes that can make great impact to the first impression of the game.

Time Lord and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  4. neveser

neveser Avatar

That is a feature! :D

5. Serena Strangelove

Serena Strangelove Avatar

Both very good points, mystarr.

I purchased a boatload of arrows on my first day :p. But I will use them all eventually.

6. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

Hahah... the first time I bought arrows, I did the same thing. Hobbled home with 72k arrows. When I finally reached my house (fortunately right down the road), I was glad I bought them all. This was almost 2 months ago and I am just now running low!

I agree with the OP on this, though... it should probably DEFAULT to a single item, and then allow people to shift drag to get more. Just to be on the safe side.

Time Lord and Serena Strangelove like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.