Why do people play Shroud of the Avatar

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lyndoman, Jul 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gix

Gix Avatar

Because, of all of the other MMOs out there promising the world, SotA is one of the few that is:
    1. not a themepark and already has plenty of sandbox elements.
    2. has some authenticity in its design.
    3. actually doing things to encourage thinking from the player.
    4. visually assembled in a way that looks original (when you go to the newer locations).
    5. has the building blocks to expand on moral issues and/or mature themes.
    I stick around because what I've seen in the game so far shows promise despite the fact that the game is doing everything it can to piss me off or bore me.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    Chatele, Cordelayne, Hornpipe and 3 others like this.
  2. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

hehe...
    Totally agree with you here... even if most of what you say are only seeds at least they are there, if they do not drown then the dam breaks that would be great :p I'm also sticking around for those reasons... and in truth I always loved sims, until it became a virtual ultima collector...

Makes me miss the days of Pizza tycoon and SimCity 2000 :D

Cordelayne, Hornpipe and Lyndoman like this.
  3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

SotA is the only one that runs on Linux?

[that's a big one for me]

Hornpipe and Lyndoman like this.
  4. DyNaMiX

DyNaMiX Avatar

The fictional setting, the names involved (British, Darkstarr, etc.) and the spiritual succession to Ultima. The world intrigues me. Yes it's fantasty, but it reminds me of all the things I love about Ultima and feels like a continuation. In addition the techno elements fascinate me. I daresay if Ultima 1-3 were remade, we'd see so many of these elements. Those games had some really weird sci-fi/techno items and gameplay. Granted the first few games were not designed as cohesively as the latter games, with a perplexing mish-mash of fantasy/sci-fi elements blatantly taken from other fiction, but it'd make a good retcon. We later saw those things reintroduced into Ultima Online starting with Lord Blackthorn's Revenge. And it's a refreshing idea.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  5. Silverti

Silverti Avatar

Agreed! If our dev's had 100 million, this game would be truly insanely great in my opinion.

Cordelayne and Hornpipe like this.
  6. Daigoji Gai

Daigoji Gai Avatar

First MMORPG since UO [maybe throw in the original SWG before the NPG] (and I've had to play them all for work originally at UGO.com, and of course for leisure) I actually feel I've created a persona, and am living in an evolving world.
    The community is top notch - has to be to put up with me.
    Feel my adventures in Novia are just beginning, that is why I play.

7. Tsumo2

Tsumo2 Avatar

It's fun!

Barugon likes this.
  8. Lyndoman

Lyndoman Avatar

Wow, this is very interesting feedback, thanks for the replies. I think most of the comments here distil the essence of what will make this game successful.

Essentially that it's a different type of game and it allows the player to create in a virtual place what is in their imagination, more than any other current MMO.

• If you look at all the uncloned locations.
    • If performance ceased to be a problem (and why would it not at some point in the development)
    • If the user interface was polished (again, why wouldn't it be)
    • If there were increased numbers in pvp (simply need a bonus and a rise in player numbers)
    • If the obvious bugs were sorted (why wouldn't they be)

If only the above list happens, and I can see no reason why it would not.
    Then Shroud of the Avatar will be in a very interesting place and a brilliant MMORPG

Because once all that is done and we open the doors to the public, the real fun will begin.

I honestly believe we are part of something very special and we are starting to see the formation of not only a great game, but a great virtual destination.

Yes of course the usual "neg numpties" will chime in with the usual, "yeah but what about....."

Those snide comments about the Sims or "fantasy farmville", both hugely successful btw, indicate something interesting about the direction the game is going.. That SOTA is more than just a game, that it is filling an empty space which we find in real life and allowing us to extend our imaginations and fulfill certain cognitive needs. Something that most other games just do not do.

@Berek @Lord British I hope you have been taking notes from some of these postings for the future marketing campaign ;) . I think they are way better than anything an agency can some up with.

9. Elirion

Elirion Avatar

I love the many avenues of progression and the relative complexity of the systems. I can spend an entire play session without killing anything, if I want to, and still feel liked I've progressed my character. The combat is fun with a lot of options to change how you fight if I ever get bored with a particular set up. The housing and decoration system is a blast to tinker with. The community is great. The ability to opt out of pvp, unlike most sand box games, lets me play without worrying about some no lifer ganking me over and over to satisfy some repressed psychotic fantasy. I love the economy and working to find ways to make money. There are things I don't like but the previously mentioned pluses overshadow them by far. I've taken several breaks over the years but keep coming back. It's a great game!

Lyndoman and Rufus D`Asperdi like this.
  10. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

+1
    I was in the same boat. For me, there is just nothing in it that excites me like the old school LB games. I was only playing because I was heavily invested. So, after selling almost all of my digital goods I can justify not playing. As I have lost hope in the online version, a part of me keeps hoping the offline version will be turn into something enjoyable, which is why I'm still lurking around the forums. Plus I still have a few more items on the market. ;)

11. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

To me, playing SotA now and even more in the future is a great fascinating adventure ... a vacation from the real world ... an opportunity to try many things and meet many people. I will never be bored in the game as there is no way I can possibly do everything. I wish I had more time to play! I have a library to create, books to write, lots of fishing of course, adventure in the Shardfalls, follow the storyline, sell some things, create some events, tell some stories, decorate a castle, and... well too many things!

On the flip side, not playing SotA itself and being involved with other players in charities, events, discussions, helping new players, creating ideas, and interacting with the devs is even more an adventure than specifically being in game! Just like playing the game, I will never possibly do all that is possible in the SotA community while not playing the game.

As a SotA Backer since Kickstarter and more since then, I've gotten my money's worth at least 100-fold while in- and out-of-game. I cannot put quantifiable values on experiences like these. So many are indeed priceless to me.

This is why I play SotA (and do things outside SotA too).

Lyndoman, Cordelayne, Tsumo2 and 4 others like this.
  12. scroda

scroda Empyrean Enforcer

I like to play the musical instruments :)

Lyndoman and Cordelayne like this.
  13. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Check out Boreas colossus if you haven't. It is pretty amazing. Hopefully at this stage of development there will still be time to get things needed in this game. No reason to give up. Well imo of course:)

Lyndoman, Chatele and Cordelayne like this.
  14. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

Exactly..... game needs to be fun ....

15. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

Unfortunately, a new scene won't fix why I don't enjoy the game but thanks for the suggestion. If I wanted eye candy, there are other gaming options. Fundamental mechanics would need to be altered...something that will not happen because....well....I'm actually going to stop at this point. I'd rather not get banned. ;)

3devious, Cordelayne and E n v y like this.
  16. Aurelius Silverson

Aurelius Silverson Avatar

I'm gradually getting back into playing after taking what was to be a short break, but turned out to be several months, since there were a lot of design decisions I wasn't happy with, continual major systems changes was becoming a bit too much of a hassle life generally was getting a bit hectic, and the overall result was SotA just wasn't enough fun to make me want to play. Now starting to play a bit more regularly, and having fun again (despite my isp having regular brainstorms and internet access being frustratingly intermittent!).

What attracted me in the first place was the multitude of options for playing styles, the ability to choose between solo, party, multiplayer etc according to my mood was a really big deal, as was the idea of 'classless' character development. The community are mostly great - even while not playing, I kept reading the forums to keep in touch with what was going on, and watching the telethons (and buying bits of stuff I liked the look of) so it never really 'went away' as an interest.

The current incarnation of the game seems close to 'right' for me, enough social activity on offer for when I feel like dropping in on that, reasonably smooth adventuring and combat scenes, an interesting (but rather messy and confusing at times) crafting system, so I can dabble in whatever I feel like doing at any given time. I'll never have any interest in pvp, though, so some areas being 'pvp only' is a bit disappointing. The feeling of being a part of a bigger overall community and project is the main hook for me, I think. I am not 'competitive' at all, so a 'game' where I can just do whatever things I fancy doing, at any time it suits me, and at my own pace, is really enjoyable.

Lyndoman and Cordelayne like this.
  17. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

Personally: Same reason I played UO; to escape reality while continuing to interact with other intelligent humans.
    Perception of why others play: All kinds of reasons, but for most it seems like fortune and glory.

Lyndoman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.