LB Birthday Telethon Follow-Up - Armor variations and Ideas (Image Intense)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Grave Dragon, Jul 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

@Chris @DarkStarr

Hello All,
    During our telethon, DarkStarr mentioned there werent a lot of ways to stylize unique versions of chainmail and I think the community can help provide some ideas to accomplish this and give the team an idea of what we want. This post is for all armor types and not just chainmail. Please share your thoughts and screenshots of armor variations you'd like to see in the game.

Please correct me if I am wrong here (it wont be the first or last time), but I dont think armor patterns need to be style restricted to a point where plate is visually differentiated from chainmail. There can be variations and as long as we can easily differentiate heavy Vs light armor, we should meet the LB requirements of visually identifiable armor types.

Here is a good example of a chain armor set for females. While there are elements of leather and plate in the design, its arguable that the majority of protection comes from the chainmail under the rest of the suit. The important thing though is that it is visually identifiable as heavy armor.
    [​IMG]

Here is a cool example of the opposite. Even though it has Plate elements, I think this is easily identify identifiable as light armor.
    [​IMG]

How about a Viking\Barbarian style light armor? We don't have any male armors currently that show off the avatar's chest that arent half or quarter armor, which isnt as desirable because the stats aren't as good.
    [​IMG]

A heavy variation of Viking/Barbarian Armor. Those Obsidian Bear Claw Mats though...
    [​IMG]

I think a lot of players who are fans of female avatars would like to see a much sleeker, feminine plate armor that still has serious balls and still offers full plate protection.
    [​IMG]

or...
    [​IMG]

I will post more ideas to this thread as I find them. Please post what you think should be added to the game from an armor variant perspective, Id love to see some pirate armor ideas since they said that is likely the next bundle theme.

Thanks!

2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I had also been checking into this. I love what you posted in the OP. Thanks for posting. I will also look further but here are a few to add to the thread. First one not really chain mail but very very awesome and silver ;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ok more later ;)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  3. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

Im a big fan of Frank Frazetta and Boris Vallejo artwork, so I wanted to make a quick observation.

Outside the newer bone armor, much of the armor in the game so far is very traditional hero style armor (very King Arthur Medieval) and I think Portalarium would get some very positive reviews if they went a little darker with some of their future armor and weapon sets. Below is Frank Frazetta's death dealer painting you all have probably seen before, but its a good representation of the kind of Dark style I'm talking about. Lets start incorporating some skulls, spikes and demonic horns, maybe the likeness of the chaos daemon. That would make for some very cool Anti-Hero\Villian character customization. Where is my shadow iron at?

The dark theme fits the game too, Artifice anyone?

Lets get bloody, lets get brutal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    Titania Xylia likes this.
  4. Titania Xylia

Titania Xylia Avatar

Yes @Chris @DarkStarr @Berek

Right now, there are zero chain options in the add-on store, and it made me pretty sad. I think chain is a viable option in-game and I hope it's gaining interest from the player base. I think some of Chris's upcoming resistance/avoidance changes will push more players towards chain. I know this is a lot of work and it needs to drive sales, and I want it to sell well.

I owned the elven armor package, and I wouldn't mind that being on the store until it's replaced with a new variant.

In human history, chain mail hasn't been that ornate, but I don't see any reason that there couldn't be derivatives that elaborate on that style for the sake of a more inspiring look & feel in-game. Inspire me to spend another $20, I'll do it. I'm a little nuts.

Features I would like to see:

Varying blends of chain link - above you see some examples of scales & chain blended together even varying sizes of links
    Patterned shoulders - I'd love to have a plate shoulder piece that could be stamped with Darkstarr's or Lord British's symbols

This is someone's freakin' bad ass tatoo, but it's a great mix of scales & chain with space to add awesome sigils, house coat of armors or virtue/chaos symbols. Let some of our personal choices shine through on the armor.
    [​IMG]

An outstanding shape of sclae
    This would really shine with the different ingot types: bronze, copper, iron, meteoric iron, etc
    [​IMG]

It's sacrilege posting another games armor. This is Oblivion I think.
    However, it's a great example of blending different chain textures for improved style. I like the shoulders and body of this armor quite a bit and I think it screams chain armor while providing a great look & feel.
    [​IMG]

Some variants of these (from the above posts) could be excellent base designs to build a concept on:

A good blended style. Chest plate and neck could be replaced with chain or chain/leather patterns
    Shoulders could be stamped w/ Chaos, Virtue or other banner pattern
    [​IMG]

This helm does not disappoint!
    Again, solid shoulders that could be stamped with a meaningful pattern from the game
    [​IMG]

A very fancy style. The scale pattern could be expanded to go down the arm under a plate/heavy scale shoulder
    As a player that's casting quite a bit of death magic in chain, I'd feel pretty amazing playing in this.
    [​IMG]

This could be altered on to be more androgynous, but as a player using the female body model, this would be epic to rock some mobs in.
    A mix of chain and scale that works well for being so ornate.
    I wouldn't mind rocking bare arms in a chain pattern.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.