Placing items on the ground in the world

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ravicus Domdred, Jul 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

How close are we to being able to place things on the ground? I would love this feature. I know the drawbacks are huge for lag and such but I would love to set down explode pots and stuff like that hehe.

2. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I hope it's never implemented, because it will be abused and the countryside will be littered... And the TTP will be extraordinarily short.

claybwagner, FrostII and Barugon like this.
  3. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

LOL. Well it has been discussed and some people want it :) Even if it brings the short Peni... I mean extraordinarily short TTP. :p

Damian Killingsworth likes this.
  4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

If they would limit it so that you could only drop one item and you could not drop another item until that one was picked up or decays then I would say go ahead. Otherwise, I would vote no.

Lord Ravnos and FrostII like this.
  5. Parson Barr

Parson Barr Avatar

You guys made me look up TTP. And you're right. That'll definitely happen.

Solazur and Birko like this.
  6. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

TTP is already reached - you can already do that now in POTs using various items - like COTOs..I've seen people in Owl's Head have spelled out stuff in their yard using them (I think NBNN)

7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes for pots and lots you can place many things now but the persistent world outside of that cannot have things placed by anyone yet. If that happens on a limited scope it will be closer to release or after that there would be some placeables people could put down, and in the past they've said that these items would decay fairly swiftly to guard against performance issues but at least someone could set something down then another player walking by could pick it up just like in Ultima Online. So here's hoping.

edited

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  8. Spartus

Spartus Avatar

Could someone please explain why adding this game mechanic would cause too much of a performance issue? People keep stating this as fact in various threads but I haven't seen anyone give a good explanation for it. I, too, think that dropping and picking up items in the world is an extremely important function that is lacking in this game.
    • Is this an issue with the Unity game engine?
    • Is this due to the large field of view?
    • Is this due to the number of players that are simultaneously finding and dropping items?
    • Is this due to server capacity or network bandwidth?
    • Is this related to the distributed, shared workloads of the clients or the play modes?
    Dropping and retrieving items in space is one of the oldest game mechanics in computing history and can be reduced to some of the fastest operations possible--fetching and storing bytes at a memory location (essentially what CPUs were designed to do). If this is an issue with a large field of view that requires a constant lookup of locations and update of items in that view, then perhaps it could be pre-cached or the resolution (the points where the items can be dropped/fetched) could be made more coarse. As a last resort, you could even just make something visible only when you are standing right on top of it, which would reduce the lookups drastically and still create additional benefits to gameplay. If this is a Unity issue, then perhaps a secondary system could be programmed to perform this operation in parallel, alongside the game engine.

Whatever the problem is, there are numerous possible technical workarounds.

It would be very helpful if somebody could shed light on exactly why people keep mentioning that dropping items would cause unacceptable lag or performance issues.

Garfield, raxxus and Numa like this.
  9. Peabo

Peabo Avatar

Id love this to be a feature, could you imagine coming across someone in an adventure scene who has made a shop or a bar? mobile shops in popular hunting area's hehe
    Or even a picnic set up at your favourite lookout location? under a tree or on top of a mountain? of course a decay for items left on the ground for a few hours so multiplayer scenes don't become overloaded

Garfield, raxxus and Lord Ravnos like this.
  10. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes they tell us all the time that they cannot do it yet. The game is not optimized. To optimize a game in development that has new stuff coming in all the time is a huge amount of work. It is very complex, items affect other items and every single item would have to optimized over and over, so they have put this off for a while. Like when someone in a scene opens a chest with many items in it, it affects the whole scene. So we struggle with less performance than a completed game will have. Our housing is right there in the midst of towns as well well causing havoc on performance ;) I know I did not word this well to explain to you how the Devs have explained it to us, but hopefully you get some take away from it. It is not the time for this feature to come in. So in the meantime if you don't have property to play around with and need a place to stay, I would be happy to help any way I can. *cheers* :) I am Majoria in the game.

Winfield likes this.
  11. Birko

Birko Avatar

I had to look up TTP as well.
    Ultima IV has it in the top left corner.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    Solazur and Echondas like this.
  12. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

A long time ago i remember them mentioning doing this in single player offline, and much more recently they expressed an interest in doing this in multiplayer in some limited fashion, but not in the scope for this year.

It might be something like each player can put 1 or 2 items down at a time, no full containers, and the item vanishes when you leave or something like that, if i have to speculate

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  13. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I support this only if there is an automatic littering fine that immediately is removed from the person's gold account. With negative gold amounts being a thing. This will help curb abuse that will slow down scenes.

14. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Would like it for FMO mode to place "Questitems" to find for an adventure group.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  15. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

You laggy even now when you go into Adoris or Owls now, Even after the last fix's, my GTX1070 barely pulls 30-40 fps also, why is that?

This is because they are huge zones with a huge population that has heavily decorated all of their houses. Your computer is loading hundreds of thousands of small objects, each individual item and its rendering them if you are close.

Before I took down my keep lot to sell, it was absolutely packed with stuff, as I walked to it, even my card was hammered. When I took it down, the whole PoT itself because much better performing because it didn't have to deal with all that stuff.

Adding in the ability to randomly drop stuff would continue to adversely effect this. With the fixes in R43 it got a lot better, closer to them being able to do something like this in a limited way. Im not sure how much better they will be able to get it, no matter how good they make the code, eventually people who are playing with 5+ year old video cards are still going to be playing the game and having to render the hundreds of thousands of placibles in the game.

Now take Owls how it is, have an event in it with 50 people and allow then to drop tons of stuff in the crowd to the ground... the game would crawl to a dead stop and probably kick everyone out. Remember, ever object dropped has to be sent to 50 people and they they all have to deal with shadows, collisions, pathing etc...

I just dont see them allowing it in multi-modes.

16. Animosh

Animosh Avatar

why not put a trunk at the Welfare Oracle that anyone can put items in and anyone can take items out of? This in no way affects game performance and those needing the welfare oracle 500gold can get access to goodwill items?

17. raxxus

raxxus Legend of the Hearth

It's a critical game feature that I hope they implement, adds real immersion to the game.

Spartus and Damian Killingsworth like this.
  18. idaniod

idaniod Avatar

I do not agree that it's a critical game feature. I hope they never implement people being able to litter!

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  19. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

LOL @ the Ultima 4 map.. nice find @Birko

Solazur likes this.
  20. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

So if I see a circular or oblong object will it be TTVJJ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.