OPO mode is NOT PvP

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Isaiah, Dec 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vjek

vjek Avatar

From here..

"
    You can switch from SPO to FPO or OPO modes whenever you like while in a city or overland map.
    You can switch to SPO or OPO modes whenever you like while in a city or in the overland map.
    "

Isaiah and Atlaua (MGT470) like this.
  2. Cazador

Cazador Avatar

What I'm not having a hard time believing is the fact it was discussed more openly at kick starter. It's actually quite sad any people were hoping for a old school pvp type game, or any ability of being a murderer,pk, or pirate of some sorts was only going to available through some sort of consensual,arena type mode..sure would have lost my donation..I'll try it come beta..but will keep my money tightly secured in my wallet till pvp becomes a big enough concern for them to address publicly I'm some sort of dev announcement.

I mean who am I kidding though, I should have known. All we have been talking about for 6 months is housing and crafting. I'll know better next time I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greaseDonkey and Ara like this.
  3. TEK

TEK Legend of the Hearth

No need to be down at all.

OPO mode is not PvE either.

As much the debbie downers of PvP try to tell you otherwise, there will be most certainly be a healthy does of competitive, unexpected ganking and heated revenged based PvP throughout New Britannia. You can thank "Selective Muliplayer" for that. When we "flag" ourselves as PvPers, the game will automatically match us up with other PvP players in every part of the world we visit...that is if you setup your match making that way. Most important, there WILL be risk vs reward pertaining to hardcore PvP only areas with certain rare resources. There is really no good real reason to complain about this on both sides.

4. Sir Bradley White

Sir Bradley White Avatar

I will be a crafter/resource gatherer in PVP mode. Gotta hire protection so I can get resources and allow some fun times by other PVP players attacking the group to try and get to my resources. It is all about the playstyle in which people want to participate. I don't mind PVP as it gives me a way to incorporate another playstyle into my profession. So while I am out and about I can bring protection, and this in turn can open up play to those that want to kill me for my resources, or just for the hell of it. No hard feelings if I go down, as it is really just a game and I can move on to other areas, or get more protection and come back to try and reclaim my things.

But I am different from PVE players that don't want to follow a playstyle like I have. If they want to toggle PVE only, that is great. Let them. I will be matched with PVP playees, and they will be matched with PVE players (hopefully the system is really really built like that). Or if they want to play with just friends, or just by themselves, it is their choice. I don't want to impose my play style on others, just as I wouldn't want them to impose their play style on me.

It all comes down to playing how you like, and playing in whatever mode makes you happy. Play offline, play online, play with your friends online, play online by yourself, play online with others in PVE or PVP. Have fun!

derek6665 (Baldrith) likes this.
  5. greaseDonkey

greaseDonkey Avatar

IMO it doesn't make sense to have two play style in the same world. What if all houses are owned by PVE only people or owned by PVP only people? Would you just walk in a ghost town since your not flagged the right way?

6. Owain

Owain Avatar

There are 25000 contributors right now. There will probably be many more people who buy the game. How many? 100,000. 500,000? Who knows. Selective Multiplayer is designed to LIMIT the number of people you see, because particularly in towns, there will be TOO MANY that can be displayed in a single instance.

Isaiah likes this.
  7. greaseDonkey

greaseDonkey Avatar

I understand the selective multiplayer and sorry for side tracking a little bit, but I feel like selective multiplayer is a broken system. It's possible that you could enter a town and none of the people you see own one of the houses. IMO this kill the immersion.

Now if you add on top of this PvP flag, it will be even worse. Anyway, I guess we have to wait till we know more about it.

8. Owain

Owain Avatar

If it breaks it, don't play, but don't quit just yet until we see if the game is broken.

The first Alpha hasn't even been released, and your complaining about how your immersion is getting killed?

That's sad...

9. greaseDonkey

greaseDonkey Avatar

I know we have yet to learn more about all the different game mechanisms, but most of the discussions on this forum are based on assumption from the information that we are given. I don't have a problem with people voicing their concern or preaching for a feature or a change, neither should you.

I will play this game regardless of the outcome, how long is the questions.

***Edited my original reply to what I really wanted to say.

And no it's not sad, it's just my current opinion and it is subject to change.

10. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

If you play SPO you would walk into a ghost town everywhere. If you walk into a town in OPO mode you will see people in the dozens maybe 20s to 50s (these people will be the most relevent to you personally since there may be hundreds or thousands of people in that town).

It doesn't matter who owns the houses in the town unless they are relevant to you. However you will still see the houses since the houses will be in the persistent world. You will also see the vendors on that house even if you do not see the owner of the house.

The city will be populated based on what is relevant to you. Friends, friends of friends, location, random, seen player before, and whatever else they use to determine if the person is "relevant". Who knows, maybe if you go to a particular person's house regularly to buy items from their vendors the player might be determined to be relevant to you.... I don't know that's just a possibility. Even Google updates their search engine from time to time to make it better, and display more relevant results, and I'm assuming that Portalarium will probably make some tweaks to their selective multi-player over the years.

As for your specific question about how PvP or PvE people owning houses... that will have nothing to do with how many people you see in a city. You will see the most relevant players in that town in OPO, and in FPO you will see only people on your friends list. The only chance for a ghost town is literally there is nobody in the entire world in that town but you, or you are playing Single Player Online (SPO) mode.

EDIT: Like Owain said about 100,000 or 500,000 players all on one server... That is too many people. most games break up the world into multiple servers. Selective Multi-Player allows everybody in the whole world log on to one server.

So the selective multi-player will dynamically allot people into smaller instances to more effectively manage all the players. This way we can have one world on one server and you won't have your friends playing on another server. It also means there will be plenty of people for PvP or PvE since all players will be logging into one server. So there should be more than plenty of people available for those who want to PvP, and even more people for those who want to PvE.

derek6665 (Baldrith) and BillRoy like this.
  11. Ara

Ara Avatar

Since open PvP seemingly wont be an option in this game i dont see how i can have fun when my playstyle isnt in the game?

Had some discussions in another thread that for me gave some disturbing PvP information, wether it's true or not i dunno but it sure aint looking good for the PvP interested players over here at SotA if it comes out to be accurate information.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/i-was-so-excited.3153/page-6

@Mordecai - There appears to be a slider offering these options in the current client (release 40 I think): SPOffline, SPO, FPO, and OPO.
    I doubt imagine we'll see an additional slider option just for the PvP minority. That said, competitive PvP will still hopefully exist through dueling and other controlled PvP. - end quote.

@Mordecai - Ara look, it breaks my heart to drop such speculation, especially in front of you (I know how much OPvP means to you), but I'm afraid that this may be the way it is. :(

It has not been established yet (so there is hope), but as it looks now, I highly doubt we'll see that much time even devoted to PvP. I expect (and I've heard RG talk about) PvP where I am told to steal or smuggle or kill, and then someone else is told to stop me, and this is somewhat meaningful, but all-out open-world PvP is likely a fading dream. Even if it does somehow exist, the freedom to come and go as you please will turn any PvP slider option into a large FFA arena.

The PvE crowd will have plenty to work with, and I suspect I'll have many good times with them, but I can't loose the hunch that the PvP crowd will be largely left out, and instead compensated with PvP quests (as outlined above) and a dueling system. - end quote.

If dueling and PvP quests would be the only PvP options then they can keep their game for themself.

12. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Nobody said Open PvP won't be in the game. It seems logical to assume that if you flag yourself for PvP you should have an Open World PvP experience. PvP may be consensual but since everybody is playing on one server even if the PvP population is only 10% of the player base that's still a lot of people.

Normally a game would break up the players into multiple servers. So if you had a game with 100,000 people you might have 4 servers with 25,000 people on it. SotA would have all 100,000 people connected to it so if 10% actually PvPed that would be 10,000 PvPers to choose from. That's almost like an entire server if it were like one of the other games. Even if SotA has 500,000 people or more they would all play on one server because of the selective multi-player peer to peer mechanic.

So don't count out Open PvP just yet.

rild, greaseDonkey and BillRoy like this.
  13. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

Seems like it would go without saying that if the slider groups you with people with the same interests/play-style, you'll be with other people with the same interests/play-style.

*Could the real problem be that it will only group "concentual" PvPers?:eek:

14. Sir Tim

Sir Tim Avatar

This is misleading as it is NOT what the team has said. I for one hope that Open Play Online mode includes Open PvP. Anyone that doesnt want to PvP already has their mode for single and friends only. LB already said that even an OPO mode would have safe cities and villages so people can meet others in the citys.
    So the argument "I want to meet others" is null. Meet them > take them into friends only mode > play > $$.

EWHART likes this.
  15. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

This is a void comment since you have no substance to back it up. The OP is indeed correct. OPO mode does not imply open pvp.

They did mention zones but nothing for certain yet, but Lord british also mentioned a quest that would flag a person as eligible for PvP and use the example of carrying contraband "from one side of the world to another" (that means he could be attacked from the point he got the quest and be flagged for PvP as long as the quest is active anywhere in the world not just a PvP zone).

Also that quest was a hypothetical scenario. Yet it was a scenario that depicted a player being flagged for PvP wherever he goes on the map, and the contraband was loot-able. That may not mean full loot, but it sure gives us a lot of hope for a PvP flagging system (apart from OPO mode).

One thing you will never find is a dev chat that specifically says OPO mode is going to be full pvp. You won't find it because they never said it. In fact they explicitly said it would not mean you are in PvP mode (citation needed). OPO mode will be safe for all players unless there is a PvP flag.

derek6665 (Baldrith) and rild like this.
  16. Praefectus

Praefectus Avatar

I have never seen a group of people so nervous about PVP. It is actually kind of humorous in a sense.

EWHART likes this.
  17. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Already in character huh @Praefectus? I'm referring to your smugness, the smugness of a true PK.

derek6665 (Baldrith) and Ned888 like this.
  18. Praefectus

Praefectus Avatar

No smugness at all...I mean that everyone seems to be in a state of panic. Relax let this game develop. It is so early relaaxxxxxx. Have faith in the Dev's! I am not in character at all

19. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

OH it sounded like you were poking fun at the topic about OPO mode not being PvP and PvEers taking a sigh of relief.

20. Praefectus

Praefectus Avatar

Trust me no one wants this to be nothing less than pvp then me, but i know that can't happen. I do think this is going to be great....That's why I invested!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.