Everyone's thoughts on forcing PVE players into Open PVP areas along the main storyline.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by twofoldsilence, Jul 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I would like to see your whole feedback, if you are holding off for some reason, I'd like to know why.

You guys have to remember that this project is the FIRST BORN of a new studio we decided to pledge to, cut them some slack for Chris's sake...

You know what it reminds me of ? Clients who were disgruntled in a bakery where I worked, because the chocolate wasn't symmetrical in their pastries.

Is the baker making 10 pastries a day ? In that case... well sure you can make a little effort and align the chocolate bars so they melt evenly.

But what if the baker is making 10000 pastries a day, then do you not expect a bit of sweat to end up in the final product ?

Would you complain to the health and sanitation agencies ?

They're asking bakers to wear gloves these days... GLOVES TO WORK ON SOMETHING THAT GETS BAKED ANYWAYS...

Ok Portalarium, I guess its time to program 8 hours straight with HERMETIC gloves, so no traces of humanity end up climbing through the keyboard and into the circuits.

2. Rennik

Rennik Avatar

I, on the other hand, would never have supported this game if it was only single-player. I have never even started up SotA in Single Player/Offline mode. I am here for the community aspect of living with online friends in a shared experience, hunting and helping those friends whenever possible. Yes, I do quest and hunt on my own, but even then I can chat with guild mates, so I'm never truly alone. That's why I played Ultima Online, EverQuest, World of Warcraft, City of Heroes, etc. If it wasn't MMO, I wouldn't be here.

FrostII likes this.
  3. Gramps

Gramps Avatar

Just do away with PvP period. Why do we have to kill other players anyway ?
    Could just make the game PvP only and make PvP like it was in UO. YOU LOOSE EVERYTHING you have on you.
    That way we who don't PvP would not buy the game in the first place.
    I don't care that people like PvPing. It just isn't for me anymore. I'm 71 years old and my fingers don't work like they
    did when I was 20.
    Besides that. I like playing a Guardian two handed swordsman.
    I'm adventure level 101 with tons of GM's in fighting abilities and the one time that I tried to PvP a guy that killed some Guildies in our PoT.
    Lol... The lower level mage kicked my ass with 5 hits and he didn"t even say Kor Por !
    There my guy lay on the ground with all his pretty armor and 37 GM's 50 feet away from the guy that just slayed me. I remembered why I
    don't PvP
    I suck at it and no one that I know PvP's with a Guardian with no mage skills.
    You don't get smarter with age. You get forgetful and dead if you PvP.
    All I have to say about it. Please .... No hate mail. lol

Womby, FrostII, Dantuin and 2 others like this.
  4. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Cause its a game ? and you can have only so much fun in a medieval sims, an epoch where sparring and camaradry is what inspires us.

How can you then listen to a movie or read a book where people kill each other and yet still be inspired by the characters ?

Think about it for a minute... the gaming market is quite saturated, what is the obvious way forward ? Hybrids, trying to bring people with different playstyles together so new playstyles and innovation can take place. Its a business decision not in its best form, but that all it is, sometimes a cake is just a cake :p

I understand very well however how elderly people and our young should not be pushed to compete like this, but as you said in your example, there are some days gramps, where your young heart will start to pound again and you will want to do whats right, and often that means defending your friends whatever the reason is (economic, territorial, principles).

The system is not yet setup properly, and as I said players should be rarely pushed to pvp, and especially not one on one for most people.

Your guardian might not be good in that situation, but if you are PvPing with your friends or guild, then you character is a major advantage.

It's all a matter of perspectives... you can't tell people who LARP that they should not fight with foam swords, its half the fun.

The other half of the fun is when elderly/young people take on a more important role that does not force them to fight. They might become the healer, the spiritual leader, the bard, the crafter... choices.

I have LARPed for over 15 years, and I can tell you for certain that the events leave everyone refreshed equally, they leave the events with a smile on their face and thats why we have GMs to balance problems when they appear. (which I really think we should have here)

5. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I was thinking about this and I even remember LARPs where everyone's groups and guilds were being so politically correct that the NPC "monsters" had to change into more elaborate shady characters who's only goals were to cause trouble and build people up against each other, just so something would happen.

Without it everyone plays it safe, there is no real consolidation and no histories to sing, no glory, no game... I'm not saying medieval cosplay is wrong, its just not what portalarium is trying to do here, hence the focus on PvP... they know.

6. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

They got plans along these lines for Q1 2018. Should show up as one of thr first things in the 2 year plan when they release that

Numa and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  7. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

May I know what specifically you are refering to ? Virtue mechanics ?

8. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I think I've skipped one of your questions @Cordelayne when you asked what kind of griefing I was talking about.

It's been discussed in length but I'll give a simple example.

I'm a crafter closing a sale with a new customer, live on my own porch... some member of a big guild comes in, says HA I can offer you twice as much for that price.

Normally what... I'd yell at the guy and I'd even pull out my sword immediately, just in case he was crazy enough to get violent about it.

Am I over emotional ? Sure... but I play in a sandbox, and the game shouldn't tell me what is appropriate, there should be consequences but not limitations.

But now the big guy can laugh, hahaha, the oracle is protecting me what are you going to do about it big boy...

That is the very definition of griefing...

Of course its a crude example, of course for most people it would never amount to violence, but its anti-roleplay...

People don't come in and steal your kill take your loot, oh no they don't !

People don't come in and steal your client that came all the way to your house to do business with you either.

People don't do alot of things that they now do. It encourages anti-virtue and anti-ethical behavior, and even worse, it diminishes the value of virtue and ethical behavior.

Cordelayne likes this.
  9. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I dunno. chris said something about PvP scenarios utilizing soemthign similar to control points that could involve guild warefare.

He also says he's waiting for after launch so he can work on "the good stuff" :p

Numa and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  10. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Not to make light of your example (it was a good one btw) but what you described sounds like everytime a Walmart moves in and forces out the little guy.

I get what your saying though and the griefing you describe is unfortunate that it would devolve to "violence". If someone did that to me I'd just shrug and laugh at what a clown they are. Of course that's me saying this at 38...me at 28, well that was a different story, lol. ;)

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  11. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Yea well it depends who you roleplay, in my case time was almost suspended since old school UO, in fact no other games ever moved me, even in the slightest. So I'm still that 16 year old avatar kid I was when the dream ended because of greed.

I roleplay myself, but not the version of myself I became in the real world, there's life for that :p

Its not a question of pride, rather action potential that forces the community ethics to evolve :) Someone gotta take that role... and well nobody else wanted it, here I am !

Cordelayne likes this.
  12. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I am getting impatient... kidding ! patience is a virtue !

13. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Sounded liek chris is gettign impatient O.O

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.