1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Release 44 Postmortem Mini-Telethon

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Berek, Jul 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

I like that they have fun and are silly at times, but I think the drinking has run it's course. It shouldn't be a part of the stretch goals.

licemeat, Pebbles, Kaisa and 2 others like this.
  2. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Telethons are meant to be entertaining.

I think they believe the hijinx (drinking, etc) is entertaining. It's to keep us watching. If they present themselves in other videos as professional and polished, what harm is it in bringing an entertaining/less formal spin on what could very well be like a late night PBS telethon while Newshour is playing. zzzz......

3. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

We're hoping that the shorter but more frequent telethons will allow even more to participate in the events, and choose which ones they wish to participate in as well. Especially since we are keeping the 12-hour of being able to contribute to the telethon.

4. Berek

Great suggestion! I'm looking into getting something on Facebook as well. I'll look into Google Calendar too.

5. Berek

We've seen this concern a few times and are heavily considering how to balance focus on your questions, game showcases, and still have a little fun with the community in celebrating releases and quarterly milestones. We'll definitely keep this in consideration!

6. amaasing

amaasing Avatar

I agree that some levity throughout the telethon would not be that dis-concerning. However after sitting though quite a few of these throughout the years (all of them to be exact) and watching the team spend more time playing around than answering questions, then it gets old really fast. Having a professional telethon does not mean bland and business convention. It means stay focused on why we are all participating in watching the telethon. After all, I truly feel the team should be sensitive to the fact that most of us are taking off work or removing ourselves from our family or watching while working to be there to support them. You can have a fun, entertaining telethon without all the rest that gets in the way of why we are attending.

Don't know how many you have attended, but after a while of really wanting to know more about what's going on with the project that you have spent thousands of dollars to support over the years, the drinking and stuff gets in the way.

But as you can see from the responses on this thread, everyone has a different view of the telethons. This is just my view of what will keep me coming back each month and spending more money.

7. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Avatar

Indeed. And in my prior post i only used $5 as the base example.
    I have several accounts and it's usually $50 or more i spend per telethon.

I'll do that once a quarter. Easy. Or i'll just have to be selective and spread the wealth over 3 telethons.

Point being... more frequent and shorter times will not bring me to spend any more than already budgeted.

Yes the mini 6 hour was GREAT. And my personal thought would just do a 6 hour quarterly and leave it open longer 12/24 hours.

And the subscription part... if you know me was a joke. Not a fan.

Laz

8. reuge

reuge Avatar

I propose to celebrate rg birthday every month. Why stop at one telethon a month when you can have it twice a month?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    gtesser and Nick like this.
  9. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

I agree. It really does cast a bad image considering they have this seedinvest thing going on. How does it look to outside investors? I'm sure some don't care....but if they want to attract serious investors, they should probably up their professionalism a bit. Call me old fashioned, but I certainly wouldn't go into a credit union and expect them to take me seriously with a bottle of hooch in my hand.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
    amaasing, Ice Queen and Cordelayne like this.
  10. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Pre-answer a few key questions before hand.

Any facetime you guys do where you answer questions and concerns is good. But for the love of god, look at a few tough questions before hand and hash them out. Just some of the good ones that are obvious concerns in the community or key forum topics.

I like the telethons but man sometimes its 20 min of talking about the shade of a leaf, while having no answer or a * well think on it !* to something people actually care about, or effects the core game.

Do that and then i say get as drunk as you want lol.

11. 3devious

3devious Avatar

It would be awesome if we could give a little shoutout to @Amber Raine (at the risk of sounding like a broken record thinking of her makes it easy to be positive about things when you want so much for good things to happen for her.)

Sentinel2, Cordelayne, Elnoth and 5 others like this.
  12. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Love to see the 80k stretch goal be a custom build Church of the Darkstarr home built by Bob Cooksey and designed by Amber.

@DarkStarr
    @Berek

13. 3devious

3devious Avatar

I love this suggestion! (The like button feels inadequate lol.)

14. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Make it 24 hrs. Or is there some reason not to do this?
    And really, what about a subscription for vanity stuff?

15. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

+1
    Could never parcipitate to the end because of nighttime in europe.

16. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

100000000000000% agree with MrBlight. What is the world coming to?? :D

MrBlight likes this.
  17. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Hahahahahah love it

18. Guppy

Guppy Avatar

Several years ago I suggested an item of the month club.
    Where you pre-paid a small amount each month and received a unique random surprise item in return at the end of the month.
    Also, one unknown month each year there would be an Extravagant item awarded to anyone who had pre-paid for that month.
    So how could I not like this idea. It is even better with more items and you get to see ahead time if you want to donate.

19. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

Gut reaction was to not like increased frequency of Postmortethons. But then I thought, well, we "used" to have 4x 12h + 12x 1h per year = 48 hours of telethon and 12 hours of postmortems for a grand total of 60h a year. If we take the new method of 12x 4h per year , we're down to only tying up the Dev's hands for 48h. Net gain for dev time imho = win. Hopefully my math makes sense. But I think I'm behind this changsperiment.

Elwyn likes this.
  20. Rennik

Rennik Avatar

This is very refreshing to hear... and I agree whole-heartedly. :) This game may have its issues, but it's not done yet. STOP STICKING FORKS IN IT! :D

Sewwiously, though... I played UO for many years, and a number of MMO's beyond that... and the sense of community in this game far outshines any other game that I've played since UO. My guild (Organized Chaos) is an awesome, welcoming, helpful guild, and is growing by leaps and bounds! We have our own POT— Verat Chaos —along the coast Southeast of Brittany. Feel free to visit, @Alleine Dragonfyre ... and anyone else for that matter!

Alleine Dragonfyre and Hornpipe like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.