Adding Risk to Logging Out & Rewards for Sleeping Soundly.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Daigoji Gai, Jul 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daigoji Gai

Daigoji Gai Avatar

So, a while ago I came across this story:
    Teen camper wakes up to ‘crunching noise’ — and discovers his head is inside bear’s mouth
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...and-discovers-his-head-is-inside-bears-mouth/

That prompted an idea when I removed my clothes and logged out in my kobold bed, only to return today and welp. Nothing.

With a rental system in place, the ability for those without housing to seek shelter; why not reward this natural behavior with some risk/reward system?

• Logging out, naked, resting in bed will bestow some limited benefit.
      • I love systems where you get an xp bonus for time logged out in ratio to time logged in.
      • Logging out fully clothed (if not in comfy, underoos-like cloth clothing) won't bestow the same benefit.
      • Sleeping in heavy armor, actually causes some mild penalty (come now, it isn't comfy)
        [​IMG]
    • Now the fun bit - if you log off, in the wild, you risk a fate similar to the young camper in the story above.
      • Risk of "random attack" when you log back in, can be mitigated by setting up camp.
      • Risk of "random attack" can be further mitigated by setting up a fire, and ensuring there is enough fuel for period/length you think you will be logged off.
        [​IMG]
        Seriously, there should be some risk (hopefully with a forgiveness period for random disconnects, power outages, etc) for logging out not in a dwelling, and you should be rewarded for getting into a bed.

Just some thoughts... from your friendly neighborhood arcane ranger...

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  2. Merlota

Merlota Avatar

Lets not add any more tedious or annoying mechanics to the game. I get that it is realistic, that doesn't make it fun.

3. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

Well I guess because the game has outhouses,next someone will suggest that if we don't spend "xx" number of minutes in a outhouse daily, our stats will slowly drop. o_O:eek:;):D

4. Gramps

Gramps Avatar

Good grief ! Hell no.

5. Daigoji Gai

Daigoji Gai Avatar

Don't think it is tedius at all. Mods for the elder scrolls and fallout games from bethesda that added requirements like eating and drinking show it doesn't have to be tedius, and given the stuff often found in backpacks, keeping a bedroll, some timber and a flint doesn't sound tedius at all.

majoria70 and blacksheepboy like this.
  6. Daigoji Gai

Daigoji Gai Avatar

Why not? A stat bonus reward for relieving yourself daily wouldn't be game breaking at all.

7. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

Just broring.

FrostII likes this.
  8. Merlota

Merlota Avatar

There is a reason those are mods and not part of the main game. Fallout being a survival game at least in part can explain having some basic survival elements.

I would find it tedious to strip off my armor and setup camp every time I logged off. It would be annoying to be awakened by a bear because my campfire burned out (for extra fun, awakened naked). I would find it even more annoying to have to find an inn and rent a room in a foreign city. If you find it fun, roleplay it. Don't force it on the rest of us.

Elwyn, Ice Queen, Alley Oop and 2 others like this.
  9. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

Yes to this,go RP if you are so inclined.

FrostII likes this.
  10. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

RG said that eventually they planned to make beds have meaning in the game.

I'd love to see a reward for using beds to log out. Now that we have renting, maybe that will be sooner than we think? :)

Also, by the end of the year they've said that they will be removing respawning directly to the overworld map. So that will improve the need to have safe respawn points.

majoria70 likes this.
  11. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I dig any idea that makes Beds useful

majoria70 likes this.
  12. Darlok Brimstone

Darlok Brimstone Avatar

this whole argument is mute. One cannot be attacked or lose without consent. If one consents to this logging out while sleeping, the other might oppose it, and claim it just a trivial task. so one must opt into this if it happened.
    #doubleedgedsword

13. Net

Net Avatar

I like it but it should not make the game more tedious. There should be simple option to remove clothes ehile going to bed and it should offer me to log out when I get there.
    I also think that your max focus should regenerate by sleeping in bed but it should be reduced by wearing heavy armor for a long time or continuous fighting. (but then I am not that much into patterns, I still think that armors should look like according to protection they offer).
    Anyway it should be easier to switch gear so it would not be so tedious.

14. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

One of the things that I like about SotA is that, for the most part, I can log out whenever I want without being punished for it. I have no problem with benefits for things like sleeping in a bed, but I don't want it to ever be a situation where before I log out I need to do xyz or else I get debuffed or eaten by bears or whatever.

Elwyn and Trihugger like this.
  15. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

that has the possibility for adding insult to injury for anyone who HAS to log out immediately due to real-life emergency.

16. Daigoji Gai

Daigoji Gai Avatar

Since it is an optional stat bonus (or interesting effect, like butterflies fluttering around you given how freshly relieved you are) one wouldn't need to become bored, because they wouldn't have to participate.

17. Daigoji Gai

Daigoji Gai Avatar

Which is why I added there should be some grace period. Would also impact those that suffer from poor connectivity, blackouts, etc. e.g. first 24-48 hours would be no problem, hitting the 72 hour mark the risk of "when you log in you may experience a random encounter" increases incrementally (but not significantly) as more times passes.

Easily addressed, IMHO.

18. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

I don't think you can punish a player for not wanting to role-play, sleep in a bed, in bed clothes, etc. OTOH, like with PvP gaining a bonus for added risk, what is the problem with adding a BONUS for taking the time to role-play getting a good nights sleep?

I mean the every day player would be no worse off then they were today if they proceeded to play as they did. If you go the extra mile, you are rewarded.

Now, yes, some of these are tedious things...but that's the point of a bonus isn't it? Every side-quest, jumping puzzle, crafting grind, PVP run, is not every ones cup of tea, some see them as no big deal and others tedious tasks.

I like having the ability to get bonuses by doing different things f I so choose, the more options of what I can do to get those bonuses, the better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.