Unity3d realistic effects

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Edward Newgate, Aug 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

( i made this extrapost for people who are not dev plus)
    This is how spell casting should look , sound and feel like in shroud.
    If this would be how shroud looks and plays (character animations) i can tell you guys that port would have easly raised 25-35 Million

It would only cost port 36 dollers or something to buy this asset, and if they need more they could get in contakt with this guy.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  2. Gix

Gix Avatar

That's a lot of moving and animated particles. How much do these effects cost in terms of performance?

3. Gurney2

Gurney2 Avatar

Performance shouldnt be a problem with good optimisation (deleting npcs is not optimisation btw) because all scènes are preloaded.

4. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

The magic (the ones that have had thier final polish) do look similar to this in shroud. Some of those effects look almsot exactly the same.

The animation's where the guy conjurs up soemthing, looks at it, then throws it is dramatic and cool.

Hornpipe likes this.
  5. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

Sorry i cant agree on this. Yes we got some spells that look good, for sota standards, but, there could be so much more.

My biggest complain was allways animations (movment, combat, casting). In shroud nearly every spell looks the same, feals the same at the moment, i dont say it never will change, but it is wahat it is for very long time now.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  6. Gix

Gix Avatar

So you don't know, then.

Saying something should strive to look like something in particular is one thing, suggesting that they should just slap an asset on top and assuming it'll be fine is another entirely.

3devious likes this.
  7. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

he never said that. The key word here is optimisaiton.

And shroud needs ton of it i hope we can agree on that.

Gurney2, MindBlast and Chatele like this.
  8. Gix

Gix Avatar

I'm all for optimization as this game desperately needs it. However, optimizing won't make a store asset run any better unless you disable features out of the asset on top of the game's (hopefully imminent) optimization. Ergo, it won't look as good as it's showcased in the video.

That's why I asked how expensive (performance) those effects were... to which @Gurney2 replied "it'll be fine if you optimize the game"... so, yes, he did imply it. If he didn't, then his comment deserves a "no duh!" response as optimization will always make things run faster. The question is: by how much?

3devious likes this.
  9. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Tbh i think the nee ice and fire and stone spells look great now since they started updating all of them 2 months ago. The death spells are a little laser-beam like.

Do agree animations need work still, they are systematically rewroking melee animations atm

Hornpipe likes this.
  10. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

Agree.. And man if my char looked and moved like that avatar in that video, I would be in love with this game.... That char looked and moved like real ..... LOVED it...

11. neveser

neveser Avatar

Wow, that does look great! Just think, this + another $60 for mounts from the Unity store and things would be looking up.

Wonder if there is a loot asset in the Unity store... now that would REALLY be something! :D

12. Dinsoo

Dinsoo Avatar

Cool but a bit too cartoony for my taste.

13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Pretty groovy. Something tells me that it's a little more involved than simply spending 36 dollars though.

Chatele likes this.
  14. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Yeah..I have to admit those effects are way better than ours, but what will in-game performance be like for the average user after optimizations? You may end up upping the required specs to play the game, thus shutting out those who may already be nearly capped out on their PC's.

Max Bennis likes this.
  15. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

It would help if portelarium finds a batter way to render stuff and work on the netcode. Both are really tuff nuts to crack open and make them work. But if they cant find a proper way, this game will allways have performanc problems.

16. Max Bennis

Max Bennis Avatar

This video is sooooo awesome! Wish SotA can apply this, but if it impacts overall performance, then not really interested for now.

As many members mentioned above, optimization is priority, not eye candy.

Although, such effect improvement is definitely something that devs should be taken into consideration for future update.

17. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Give PRT some time now that they have a FT Particle FX person - plus , in small (Most?) studios everyone wears multiple hats so they can't spend 100% of their time on 1 thing ..

18. fonsvitae

fonsvitae Avatar

+1000

I like SotA and stick w/ it but am also not to thrilled w/ many spell animations (earth spells, for example; it was great they were worked on but it could be better). I'd be glad to see the day SotA ups its game on spell and character art and animations.

That said, I have a sneaking feeling things will get better w/ time. Port wants to deliver a quality game but it is equally important for the players to insist on higher standards wherever they can be met lest we catch our devs resting on their laurels.

Hornpipe likes this.
  19. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

these are great! ..but they're also THE top-grossing asset right now, which means they'll be showing up EVERYWHERE. i'd rather we make our own cool new effects, which has already started happening.

fonsvitae likes this.
  20. Cream2

Cream2 Avatar

even the character model used in the demo is better than ports ....

Edward Newgate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.