1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Status and Priority of Pledge Rewards, Kickstarter Stretch Goals, and other items

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Aug 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Because producing and shipping physical rewards will be costly and having a digital substitute could save them money.

2. redfish

redfish Avatar

Oh, so this is really a selfless gesture, just out of concern for Portalarium's shipping costs?

3. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

correct

4. redfish

redfish Avatar

Alright, just making sure.

It would also cost them nothing to let people trade in digital pledge rewards for COTOs, though.

5. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

They wouldn't be saving any developmental money that way though. There's a possibility they can this way.

Alley Oop likes this.
  6. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

For people who have multiple accounts, a digital item replacement for physical items might be a great option. I know I'm looking forward to most of the physical rewards... but I don't think I need duplicate cloth maps, boxes, etc. I would likely end up just throwing away some of the extras.

So IMO, if it would save Portalarium some money (manufacturing and shipping costs) to offer a digital item like COTO(s) or even Add-On store credit instead... I think I might be interested in that. I don't think they should create a new digital item for replacements because that would just take more DEV time away from other things. But, if the replacement was something that is already available then it costs port nothing extra.

The only downside I see to doing this is that it might make the overall costs of the physical rewards go up due to a lower quantity batch to make. I guess they would have to determine how many would be interested in this first... then find out if that volume would impact the cost to manufacture the physical items.

Maybe they need to do a poll and find out if there would be enough people willing to do this?

PS, @DarkStarr - Thank you for posting this update on remaining pledge items.

By Tor likes this.
  7. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

If someone says "I'm opting our of this" then that's it, they've opted out of it. As long as they meet the requirements for those who don't, it's all good.

As to who would opt out, that I don't know, but the question is still fair. The digital reward would have to be something of sufficient value that people would want it more then the physical one.

Concord and By Tor like this.
  8. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Opting In here. I want the physical rewards especially the lb alabeth game wapper.

King Robert and Ronan like this.
  9. Twiggi Fizzlesticks

Twiggi Fizzlesticks Avatar

60K people are getting physical rewards?
    How do you get that number? Most pledges don't contain physical rewards (explorer and up)

[​IMG]

Spoon and Tiina Onir like this.
  10. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

I've removed some of the derailing comments, mainly from a single poster. Please keep this thread free of comments that stir up unnecessary controversy, vague or passive threats, and responses to questions or comments that don't answer or directly contribute to the quoted person's intended subject.

11. redfish

redfish Avatar

The only thing I would find really wrong if they created a new exclusive item as a replacement, because I don't think people who get the physical reward should feel excluded, or offered something in value beyond the shipping costs. I think COTOs would be the fairest compensation, if anything.

12. Twiggi Fizzlesticks

Twiggi Fizzlesticks Avatar

That might flood the market with COTOs (unless the number of people was small). You could do store credit as well.

I did notice that the value between digital collector and collector and the value between digital edelmann and edelmann is only $5.

The other thing is if they have started to produce and sign some of the reward items, it would be kind of a waste to not send them out (unless they sold them in add on store)

13. Spryone

Spryone Avatar

Ok, I have to ask why are comments being deleted? I haven't posted much here in the forums but have visited a number of times. These forums are for backers of the game to post their opinions are they not? I would like to think that my "backing" of this company through this game would give me and others the right to have an opinion on anything posted here. There are those who are disappointed with the priorities here and they should be able to state that they don't like it. As long as they don't post them repeatedly. Then maybe the first post they had about the subject should stay and the others be deleted if they are so bad. But EVERYONE has the right to post and has PAID for this right. Some of us care about SoTA and wish to state how we feel on these forums. That doesn't deserve being banned or having our posts being deleted. Yes Port. owns these forums but they are here for us to comment positively and negatively.

Bob Kelso2 and Mykll like this.
  14. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Look @Spryone your approach is very noble and we all have an aspiration to higher standards but as it is right now portalarium is a full fledged studio which has all kinds of legal responsibilities and even *gasp* deadlines and backpressure from folks who might deserve to be denounced... but this is not the proper platform to settle those differences.

I understand @Stephalan thinks the game will fail because x,y,z ... well there are proper sections of the forums to give such feedbaackcxz, there's a place for everything. The forum is a service, moderation is a service, gratitude is a service 0.o.

We all backed a game on kickstarter, we didn't buy an apple and get served an orange, we knew what we would get every step of the way. Sure times change and some things were bad ideas to start with but all the telethon, the patch notes and all this available information clearly shows how the community reacted to each decisions. It is sufficient transparency for a business, and all along anyone could have easily sold their pledges and got their money back, something that does not happen on all other kickstarter projects.

Berek is also a dev, and time that can be saved here by stopping our petty bickering will be time better spent for all parties.

Time is a slippery devil, I should be sleeping right now, but I aint I there philosophizingmph about all this and aprehendingxing the karma being anchored by all this.

15. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Did anyone say mounts ? :p

aaalright I'm going to bed...

16. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

That's not too bad.
    That's pretty resonable actually.
    I can as well understand the prioritylist. And as much as i wanted Castle sieges and static towns to be higher on that list....at least they ARE on the list ^^
    So i can deal with that.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  17. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Small note on the physical item discussion.
    This has been brought up a couple of times in hangouts and the result is always the same.
    Richard is firm on there being no opt out and that the cost difference would be negligible due to the low volume. (Hence the 5 dollar diff in pledge cost for virtual only).

While the others looked uncertain or without opinion.

Since it is one of those few times that Richard is firm then I'd guess that is the way it goes.

Vyrin, Elwyn, Numa and 7 others like this.
  18. Curt

Curt Avatar

Personally I consider the early name to have been delivered (if you made a char before land rush that name was yours)

What you consider priority 2 can be discussed however.
    Names on ... Good to have done before launch
    brewing why have it as priority 2? I would prefer castle defence or shipping lanes instead

19. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Because it is part of the personal pledge rewards from edelmann up.
    And it is perpetually asked for ^^

Fionwyn Wyldemane and Tiina Onir like this.
  20. bwtdozer

bwtdozer Avatar

first I disagree. brewing should be the first priority. Nothing like coming home from adventuring to sit down on the porch and unwind with a great homebrew. :p and second (and more seriously) because the op said:

castle defense is a more system dependent, resource heavy task then brewing which will share many of the same systems as crafting skills in general and cooking probably specifically. Easier to tick off the brewing complete box then it is to tick off the castle defense box. Also brewing has been scheduled on several releases before and pushed off every time. Thus fueling people's desire for brewing.

Spoon and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.