Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Info needed] Path of Love: Stuck in Spite

Discussion in 'Release 44 Bug Forum' started by Womby, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Womby

Womby Avatar

8/10/2017 9:04 PM
    Title: Path of Love: Stuck in Spite
    Reproduction Rate: 100%
    Blocker? yes
    Details: Journal entry:

"Samael told me that I should meet him at the undertaker's wagon outside of Malice once I am ready to proceed."
    1. I'm pretty sure that should read "in Spite," not "outside of Malice" (I can't get to Malice yet).
    2. Samael is in the pub, not by the undertaker's wagon.
    3. Samael doesn't want to talk to me.
    4. I can't get Yama to agree to help.
    5. Charon won't take me because I'm not dead.
    6. Agathon has no interest in offering a disguise.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Steps to Reproduce: Be Womby. Go to Spite.
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8) System RAM: 16328
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN GPU RAM: 6106
    SotA.EarlyAccess.LIVE.Win.64.645.Date.08.03.17
    Area: Novia_R5_City_Spite
    Area Display Name: Spite
    Loc: (134.6, 38.2, 113.5)
    Debug: Tm92aWFfUjVfQ2l0eV9TcGl0ZXx8KDEzNC42MTUsIDM4LjE5NSwgMTEzLjUxNCl8KDAsIDAuOTk3LCAwLCAwLjA4KXwtMTI2OS4xODR8MjYuOTM5NDV8OS42Mjc3NDg=

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    Paladin Michael likes this.
  2. Lexie

Lexie Bear Queen Emeritus

He had his quest sparkle, which is weird. Can you please go ahead and click on all the suggested keywords (hidden by the arrow that points down) to see if we can flag it to the next step.
    I'm sorry for the trouble. Also, there is nothing on the next page, right? That was the last journal entry for this questline?
    @Womby

3. Womby

Womby Avatar

I am unable to engage Samael or the Sorceress in conversation. Double clicking or pressing E does not work. There are subsequent journal entries (I got frustrated and started side quests):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  4. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

You should be able to move forward with going to Malice -

Talk to Charon the ferryman to go to Malice. Then talk to Yama to get the far gate key. Samael is in the Rotunda.

Paladin Michael likes this.
  5. Womby

Womby Avatar

Thank you for attempting to assist, however as mentioned in my original post:

Samael is in the pub (not in the rotunda).
    Samael doesn't want to talk to me at all - I cannot start a conversation.
    Charon won't take me because I'm not dead. No keyword produces a useful response.
    I can't get Yama to agree to help. No keyword (including key) produces a useful response.
    The NPCs all act as if I haven't started the quest.

I suspect this situation is a result of non-backward compatible code changes that took place after I started the quest.

6. Lexie

Lexie Bear Queen Emeritus

Yeah, quests can be tough to troubleshoot sometimes. Especially in a forum setting. I could not repro this yesterday afternoon, but you are right - old quest flags can make things a little harder. But, we should be able to work through this.

So Samael had the quest hand sparkle...you cannot get the conversation dialogue window to even pop up, that's what I'm reading. That would be a new one for me. Is there any kind of error msg that pops up in the dialogue box? You should at the very least be able to ask what their names are, even if you already know them...

In the settings there is an "enable conversation close up". To try to work around this, toggle this on (or off, whatever the case may be). and fully restart the client.
    @Womby

7. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

@Womby, @Lexie, I have had much the same problem for quite a while and have given up in frustration. I admit that I did try to get into Malice when it was put in on the very first time it appeared in game. I have exactly the same issue as Womby. Samuel has a sparkly hand but ignores any attempt for me to chat with him. The chat window doesn't even pop up. Yama will speak to me about things and tells me to meet him at the far gate. Charon tells me I'm not dead yet and that's the end of that. I suspect the quest flags are messed up.

8. Womby

Womby Avatar

From my chat log, in response to attempting to start a conversation with Samael:
    "[8/12/2017 7:33:18 AM] Samael: You do tend to get around, Womby. I do not believe we have any pressing business in this village. Please, leave me to my drink."

I saw no error message in the dialogue box. I had /debug running, and there was no error message there either. I brought along an alt that has not started the quest, and it also could not start a conversation with Samael, even to ask his name. The alt also had the same responses from Charon as Womby did. This leads me to suspect that the game does not have a crucial flag set, even though the Journal has an entry telling me to come here, so it responds as if I have not completed a prerequisite step. It also does not allow questioning of NPC's name by my alt, which looks like a bug.

I ticked the "enable conversation close up" box and restarted the client, but the situation did not change.

9. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

@Womby, I know you have the Spite part of the quest. In order to move past this stage, I had to do the Crypt part of the quest. I couldn't get there on my own, so things were done to get me there. Did you do the Crypt part of the quest previously to going to Spite? In that part you have to talk with Samael to get the Spite update. Once I went there and talked to Samael, I was able to proceed to to Malice.

10. Womby

Womby Avatar

I did the crypt part, which is why the Journal was updated. It is possible however that something was corrupted. I tried doing the crypt part again, but Samael wasn't there.
    At this stage, I'm resigned to waiting for the quest reset.

11. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Same problems for me @Womby.

This is the kind of thing that makes me stop questing. Really frustrating to get all hyped up to move through the quest line again and then get stuck like this for no particular reason.

12. Womby

Womby Avatar

I think it is unlikely that all possible error conditions will be found and removed, so it would seem advisable to provide a way for players to reset a quest line (Love, Truth or Courage) if it is blocked, even if this comes with the penalty of forgoing any XP for that quest line on a second or subsequent attempt. For example, in my case, I would be happy to reset the Love quest and start again, even at the cost of not receiving any XP rewards for that entire quest line. It should of course only be possible to do that if the quest has not already been completed.

13. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

I'm dealing with the same issue as well. Stuck in the exact same spot.

Womby likes this.
  14. Billy Bologna

Billy Bologna Avatar

I seem to have had this exact same issue for several months now. I just tried it today and the issue is still there.

1- Samael has the sparkles but will not engage in normal conversation at the pub. He only says the "You tend to get around" line above his head. A conversation window never comes up.
    2- Yama will not help me even after using all keywords in conversation. He also has sparkles above his head.
    3- Charon the ferryman allows me to go into conversation but says I am not dead. He also has sparkles. No other keywords seem to get me beyond this point.
    4- Agathon says his engagement in Spite was cancelled.

My latest journal entry in the quest is:
    "Find out how to enter Malice" from 1/21/2017
    Samael told me that I should meet him at the undertaker's wagon outside of Malice once I am ready to proceed.

Numa and Womby like this.
  15. Billy Bologna

Billy Bologna Avatar

All is fine now for me with this quest in Spite. I basically just went into the Crypt of the Avatar in Midras Ruins and summoned Samuel there using the whistle type item that was given to me at some point during the quest (if he isn't already there). There is a quest that should lead you to Crypt of the Avatar (Midras Ruins) as jiirc mentioned in the thread above.

Speak to Samuel and the other 2 npc's that are near the entrance... Then Samuel again before leaving. He will mention the quest picking up in Spite. Hope that helps!

Numa and Womby like this.
  16. Womby

Womby Avatar

Finally did the same, and it worked! Thank you @Billy Bologna!

@Lexie
    PS: The problem was caused by the disappearance of Samael at the crypt - possibly because the scene was interrupted and I had to return. This did not stop the quest book from updating with instructions to go to Spite, which proved to be very misleading. Perhaps the direction to go to Spite should not be added until after the final conversation with Samael at the crypt, and maybe ensure that Samael is always spawned at the crypt for those who have started but not finished with the crypt part of the quest. Most people won't think to use the whistle - in my case, I forgot that it existed.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  17. synsx

synsx Avatar

I have this problem as well. I don't have the whistle, however.. but I think i did at one time. My last journal entry is:

Entry from 8-6-16
    "Find Samael in Malice: Yama was true to his word and gave me the key to the Far Gate within Malice. The rest is up to me. He did say he was quite concerned about Samael, who entered the dungeon previously."

Quite some time ago i went to Malice and it was simply too difficult. Now, a year or more later I'm ready but can't return. Ferryman Charon has the quest indicator, but he won't ferry me across as I am not dead. yama won't sneak me in and Samael (in the Inn) won't talk with me... I've spent so much time just trying to get back to Malice.. sigh....

I'm tempted to go to the Midras Ruins, but without the whistle i think it will be another waste of time. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.