My Sympathies to Richard Garriott and family

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord Andernut, Sep 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

I always enjoyed hearing Lord British discuss his roots and inspirations featuring his mother prominent among them - and how wicked cool she was. I don't say wicked cool often, actually I've never said it. But hearing the unique ways she involved herself in her son's life always made me think "that's just awesome!" (Whether noticing something written in the Ultima Codex, a random Garriott search for Ultima news that pulled up an article on a family member or hearing direct from Lord British at Sota Con.)

I had enjoyed this article back in the day as well:
    http://ultimacodex.com/2012/03/richard-garriotts-mother-shakes-her-robootie/

I'm sure others have memories or stories to share, I had this sort of picture in my mind of the cool mom who says to her son: Of course you can make video games, Of course you can call yourself Lord British, Of Course you can be an Astronaut.

Here was an article shared on facebook today by one of the Dragons (John Hosie):

http://www.enidnews.com/news/local_...cle_23e6523e-7019-5820-901f-377f92a23929.html

2. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

I discovered her in the "explore/create" book and she was undoubtely a formidable mother, for having inspired so much curiosity to her childrens.

That's certainly a good lesson she could have taught to everyone.

Mes sincères condoléances.

3. Senjut

Senjut Avatar

I am sorry to hear about this. My condolences to Richard and all of Helen Mary's family.

Thank you for posting this and letting us know, Lord Andernut.

4. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

Very sad to mark her passing, as my wife and I just spent this last weekend seeing Richard at DragonCon and talking about his family. I never had the opportunity to meet his mother, but he always had some great stories about her and his dad, and especially both the creative atmosphere and support that his mother provided growing up. It's pretty awesome and amazing to realize just how much her work and efforts benefited Richard's dreams and career, and how influential her works and legacy truly were during her life.

A life well lived to be remembered.

5. stile

stile Avatar

I am a huge fan of Helen. My condolences go out to the family, and I am very sad to hear about this.

Asclepius, shathiell, FrostII and 4 others like this.
  6. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

My condolences to @Lord British and his family.

I had the pleasure of meeting Helen once during a Portalarium Easter party at Castleton. She was a fantastic lady. I had fun talking with her.

Asclepius, shathiell, FrostII and 4 others like this.
  7. hammadowna

hammadowna Avatar

Sorry to hear about her passing. Richard always had great things to say about her.

8. psteg

psteg Avatar

My condolences to Lord British and his family.

9. Alfric Jodoc

Alfric Jodoc Avatar

My deepest condolences.

10. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  11. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

RIP Mrs. Garriot! Thank you for giving the world so much. Her legacy lives on in her works and her children, what a wonderful mother to have.

12. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

Dear Richard,

I am so sorry to hear of your mother's passing. It sounds like she taught you many of life's lessons that helped inform you about the wonders of creativity. She was a link in a chain of human endeavor and the legacy she passed on to you has been something to touch the hearts and minds of others.

Through you, she has touched me. Each time I look at Sequanna, I will be reminded of a woman I never met - Helen Mary Walker Garriott.

A mother's love is a thing of beauty. I believe that beauty will live on through the ages.

With heartfelt condolences,

Fionwyn - Shirley

Asclepius, shathiell, FrostII and 3 others like this.
  13. Dinsoo

Dinsoo Avatar

My thoughts are with you Richard and your beautiful family.

14. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

It's always hard to lose someone close, my condolences as well.

15. OxNull

OxNull Avatar

My condolences to the Garriott family. Just from the stories I have been able to hear about her; she was a supportive and inspirational source that anyone would be fortunate enough to have in their lives. And without here so many worlds that we know would not have existed the same way as we know them today.

16. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

These are sad news.

Dear Richard and family, I want to condole hearty condolence and express deep sympathies. My thoughts are with you and your family.

17. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

Sad news indeed. I've heard stories many times from Richard of his family and the love and support they shared. It shows in the worlds built and the virtues put forth for all Avatars.

I'd suggest that a Comet be added to the heavens of New Britannia to remind us all of loved-ones lost and to provide a light to guide us as a mother guides her children.

18. Lonig

Lonig Avatar

My condolences. Best wishes to everyone affected. She sounds like she was an awesome woman and mother.

19. Lockey2

Lockey2 Avatar

So sorry to hear about your loss. Prayers sent.

20. EmberFlame

EmberFlame Avatar

Condolences for the loss to you and yours, good Lord. Family has always been a sacred thing in our home, and even though our definition of such may have expanded to include folks not related by blood or marriage, it has always been something that has surpassed our nastiest disagreements, and will remain forever strong in our home.

The reason I mention this is because UO -for me- was formative in my understanding of "family". I used to be incredibly awkward socially; people were difficult for me to understand. UO introduced us to a fresh new world, where we could remake ourselves into Avatars, and in doing so, I came to recognize the commonalities that I shared with all people, especially my family! Through it, I was able to interact in ways that transcended our Realm of Earth (what did a debate over current events matter when we had the Virtues to explore instead?). This, in turn, helped me to develop a genuine empathy for my fellow humans!

You mother strikes me as the kind of person everyone should meet; everyone that met her must've been better off for it. And, in turn, she raised a fantastic person that would one day inspire generations to come. So, in a sense, you and your family serve to be her greatest legacy, and though she may have crossed on to the Aether, she continues to leave a positive impact on the world. Talk about a remarkable woman!

Thank you for sharing you, your family, and by extension, the powerful person that was your mother. May she continue to inspire during her next big adventure! */lbsalute*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.