Should we be allowed to delete our topics?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spoon, Sep 15, 2017.

?

What do you think?

Poll closed Dec 15, 2017.
  1. Yes to Delete our own topics AND don't allow pointing such deletions out (like today)

10 vote(s)
    20.4%
  2. Yes to Delete our topics AND yes allow pointing such out without moderation

4 vote(s)
    8.2%
  3. Yes to Delete our topics ONLY IF notification is sent to all posters in the topic

3 vote(s)
    6.1%
  4. Remove the Delete topic function, if needed ask a moderator to help you

12 vote(s)
    24.5%
  5. Remove the Delete topic function, if needed edit your posts but don't touch other's posts

6 vote(s)
    12.2%
  6. None of the above - I will explain why in a post below

4 vote(s)
    8.2%
  7. Spoon, you are really over reacting and it was correct to moderate passive aggressive PSA

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  8. Remove Delete topic everywhere else but in Player Market where it is needed

9 vote(s)
    18.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

Ok I'll show more of my ignorance. Why would Player Market need a delete option? If I was a buyer I would rather see a historical trend of what something has been sold for before. But that also a forum section I never venture into so I am not seeing the possible issues.

I'm all for people deleting their own posts. And if you are the original poster of a topic, and you deleted your original post, you as the original post remains but says [DELETED] or something, so that everyone doesn't think that the second poster is now the original poster. And if someone already quoted and replied, I guess tough luck there.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  2. Net

Net Avatar

Yeah I think market needs option to move threads to "completed trades" subforum rather than to delete them.

3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

A better question is why does the player market need a reply option? (the main purpose of replying to a post in the marketplace is to exploit the 1 week posting limit)

Moiseyev Trueden and Mykll like this.
  4. TEK1

TEK1 Avatar

This forum allows users to delete entire threads? I guess Portalarium really hates the idea of having good SEO. Talk about a self inflicting wound. That is not even mentioning negative social aspect of allowing users to grief other users with their pseudo mod powers by deleting entire threads, especially older ones. Crazy stuff.

5. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

I find the most frustrating part of having a thread deleted is when I'm actually agreeing with the OP and find 5-10 of my posts suddenly gone. Doubly so when I'm trying to find that earlier post so I can quote it in a different thread or reference it for any other reason.

I would prefer to lock it (some old posts are great for interesting new ideas that can be pursued). Maybe have it if the OP is over 6 months or a year (or last post or whatever) it auto-locks it so no more necroing).
    1 - I'd flag those posts for moderators (though that does mean more work for the mods) assuming it is an intentional derailing
    2 - Definitely a concern with so many people with English not the first language, misunderstandings happen so I can see this causing major frustrations.
    3 - Support this one quite a bit (as its easy to post when frustrated and editing a negative post after a bunch of others have commented on it would be kinda useless at that point) though I'd still prefer to have the thread locked rather than removed as there may be a good reason for negative feedback (not to be confused with just bashing on something for the sake of bashing on it).
    When do you see the need to delete it as opposed to just locking the thread?

Spoon and Mykll like this.
  6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I like it the way it is.

7. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

Honestly, I can't for the life of me understand how anyone could even come up with such a thing as deleting and reposting threads just to troll people.

It's just so... ridiculous

8. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

I don't think you should be able to delete the threads at all. If you make a mistake you can always edit them. It would be great if there was an option to select completed transaction in the market place. I usually just add sold to the thread and keep them. For the repeat offender that everyone is hinting to it's always great to keep a google doc with copies of your posts then you can just copy and paste them back again.

MrBlight and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  9. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I'm slightly surprised you weren't moderated for reporting your moderation, Spoon.

On the topic, I have my Dawn's Keep post, which has existed since I first had plans for the town... I've, over the course of the years, deleted it and restarted it as the game and the town have evolved. I would like to retain this ability to update to current state, and trim the out-of-date information and replies (Which are sometimes a bit off topic). I have the ability to do do the former, by editing the OP and other posts of mine own. I do not, however, have the ability to trim the outdated or off topic information from the thread short of deletion of the entire thread.

I'm currently considering this option as the thread has collected a lot of cruft. I will be disappointed to lose the views and the likes, and the compliments contained therein, but the accuracy of the content is more important than all of that.

10. Black Knight

Black Knight Avatar

The best way, as I see it, would probably be to archive rather than obliterate threads.
    This way threads that are incorrect or spun off topic would simply be moved to the archive and out of everyone's face.
    Most archiving system out there also allow searching in the archive but only is explicitly selected, a normal search would not include these posts.

This was, the forum is kept clean of these derelict threads, but the information stays for referral and the occasional archive diving.

11. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Yes, it's possible to bring back topics. We never 'delete' a thread, it is only hidden.

Numa and Sempiternal Dragon like this.
  12. Gix

Gix Avatar

That's what the ignore feature is for...

That's what the edit feature is for... Or you could continue to reply to the thread and say "Sorry, this is what I meant: "

Then you're willingly depriving the devs the most valuable kind of feedback they need to make this product great: the honest first-impressions. The devs need to know the bad for them to make it good.

If people are still discussing the topic, who are you to claim their contribution is no longer worthy?

A simple "Guys, I changed my opinion!" goes a long way.

//

You're essentially telling people to not waste their time in any of your threads because you're completely unreliable. I sure as hell won't.

Mykll likes this.
  13. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Happy i was able with my explanation to avoid wasting your time.

I am in peace with myself that my rare occasions on thread restarts avoided waste of time far more for the participants then the other way around.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  14. Gix

Gix Avatar

"Than the other way around?" You mean the time you, yourself, have wasted by posting the thread you'd be deleting?

It's lose-lose for everyone. The only thing you gain is that your posts are harder for others to track for reference.

I frankly don't care how much at peace you may be; that just emphasize the idea that you have no respect for other people's time.

Should we sticky this thread in the hopes that others will read your post so that they may know to avoid your future threads?

What guarantee do we have that you simply won't delete your posts here? What good would your explanation be then?

Why do you bother posting threads in the first place?

If the forums prevented users from deleting their own threads, maybe that would encourage some people to think before posting so that other people's posts aren't at the mercy of that person's whims.

Lock the threads, don't delete them.

15. hammadowna

hammadowna Avatar

Agreed. People must have no lives to waste their time like that just to try and annoy others.

16. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Yes. Please sticky this thread.

But i can if you like set a Warning Information in my signature. I will do that.
    I have done it now.

Thank you for your Feedback Gix. I am happy we can find a middle ground. I appreciate your undisrespectful communication with me.

I can Sign further with

Myrcello
    I am a person who deletes own threads occasionally.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    Numa and Sempiternal Dragon like this.
  17. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

It should nowhere allowed to delete a thread or post after someone has responded.

I dont know XenForo, so I dont know if XenForo has an integrated "Topic Solved" function.

In my phpBB3 forum I use this MOD "Topic Solved".

18. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Not really something I care that much one way or the other, but I think it's pretty nonsensical for any random person to have some kind of ownership of a thread that comes with additional privileges just because they happen to have made the first post.

Mykll, Fister Magee and Spoon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.