Nerf to Evasion / Glancing Blows / Fortify Defense

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Cryodacry, Sep 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HogwinHD

HogwinHD Avatar

you couldnt be further from the truth if you tried, im just tired of seeing people complain about things that is non essential and even more annoyed that the devs listen to a small group of people rather than the people who actually know what they are talking about.

2. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

If that is an acceptable change, then that is enough. No need to nurf the skills people work hard to get to GM and above if they choose to do so.

3. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

Wow that's a bit Narcissistic. Sorry but you sound like an Elitest trying to hold on to the status quo instead of making changes to the game for the greater good. This goes back to us having to Agree to Dis-Agree.

4. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

Doesn't matter if they did. Any skill that gets changed is offered a 100% xp refund. People dumping Massive amounts of XP on one stat further re-enforces the in-balance between the mitigation stats. It would be funny if we couldn't stack the avoidance buffs anymore. No more +>50% Avoidance from Skills / Spells. The problem with Avoidance isn't how the stat works it's just that there really isn't a diminishing return. This makes the stat exponentially more valuable with the higher that it is stacked. If there was a diminishing return on the stat that made the progression linear it would be fine. If you want to talk about it in different Terms it comes down to EHP. Right now Avoidance is contributing too much to EHP.

Spoon likes this.
  5. HogwinHD

HogwinHD Avatar

im sorry you see it that way, having played as long as i have i see the same thing over and over.. people cry about something Being op, the devs nerf it.. then something else becomes the focus.. same again.. and it just keeps following the same vicious cycle, i want to see a fair and balanced game as much as anyone but where and when does the complaining stop and the gameplay begin?

6. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

Your problem is that you view this as a complaint. I have yet to complain. I have stated opinions. I have not tried to make it personal. You came into this thread belittling by trying to reduce it to childish means. This was followed up with a summarized " I know better because i play more than everyone else".

You state that you want the game to be balanced. Tell me how 90% of the mitigation of damage in this game being reliant on one stat is balanced. There are Multiple Mitigation stats to spread this around a bit to make the game balanced.

7. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

Good luck trying to fight multiple archers since there is no other way to win or solo difficult areas like Grannus Colossus.

This game should not be frustrating to the point where there is no way to win otherwise why bother playing.

Numa and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
  8. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

You just are further re-enforcing why this stat is overpowered. To take this from another perspective. You just inferred that the only way to handle all those Archers is with Avoidance. This is my point exactly. There are Other mitigation stats in the game. Avoidance is the only one that matters right now. That is un-healthy game design.

9. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

The problem is we're left a few releases "in limbo" where some things simply become un-killable as a result of changes like this. They won't nerf avoidance AND re-adjust DR, etc at the same time, for example. The end result may be ok but the path to get there is extremely painful if its done in this fashion. This isn't as simple as just being an "end game" fix either.

@discipleofweb hit it on the head pretty well citing archers... Anywhere you have archers in the game, which is very common in story related scenes, those are now exponentially harder (same deal when they gave mages AI). The blow-back of something like this isn't small since combat effectively seems to have been balanced around a lot of these avoidance skills.

At the same time I do agree avoidance being the "end-all" defensive stat is a problem. I really hope when they're re-adjusting defensive combat, they take it as a whole instead of nerfing the best performing piece and leaving it in a crippled state for an extended period of time.

Cryodacry likes this.
  10. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

I agree .... The thing we need to consider is that this game is still Alpha in @Lord British 's Eyes. Maybe we might be in Beta.... Either way we are not Released and these are Balancing changes that could and very well should take place... It really is for the Health of the game. The concept of our mitigation system is good. But the lack of Scaling gives it the problem. People need to realize that when this armor system was put together around R22 by @Chris it was never conceived that people would have more than 20GM's Now we have a terrible imbalance on mitigation stats due to lack of scaling. This has made the entire player base lean on one mitigation stat, Avoidance, as it is the 2nd strongest.

The best idea i've heard for adding scaling was an "attunment" or Mastery to Heavy Armor and Light armor that gives a Multiplier to the effects of the Armor in that class. This would give Scaling of DR so not just anyone can pick up plate/leather and go take a hit from a dragon. It also makes it possible so anyone can pick up armor and start training on Kobalds.

11. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

You know i just realized something..... you might be even more right than i had thought. They are reworking the Stances... I will be curious to see if Spellbinders Stance still retains it's draw speed. They've already stated they are scrapping Chaos and reworking it. After that your just talking about what ? Wicked Kings Shield? and Night Blade or what ever that dagger is. That's all i can think of right now.

Kvow Triumvir likes this.
  12. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

A well-deserved change. With all the defensive buffs people can stack there's players who can becoming borderline unkillable.

I can do a decent amount of damage but there are players with 96%+ avoidance that I just wail on until I run out of focus. Defensive buffs should help but their HP should still go down... just a bit slower.

IMO, some things shouldn't stack, slash avoidance across the board, nerf defensive stance, fix fortify bug, and reassess next month. @Chris

Rada Torment, Skyo, Numa and 3 others like this.
  13. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

I honestly would say not to slash them in half but make it so they don't stack.... That would actually get rid of the need for so many damn defensive buffs. That or limit the ones that do stack. It would be hard to give Shield of Ice Meaning if it didn't stack. That is due to Earth already being the DR tree.

14. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Hmm, need a bit of clarification on the meaning of avoidance stacks here. I usually use chain and buff fortify Defenses, shield of ice and glancing blow all at the same time. Does it mean I can only use one at a time as I believe you are saying? R/Boris/El Pirata.

15. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

Currently it has only been hinted that you cannot stack/charge them to 5 anymore. There has not been any talk of skills not cumulatively stacking. We are just discussing the possibilities.

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  16. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

Sorry, but I disagree and I could prove it.

Using cover is one of the many options left.

You used those stacked skills as YOUR option to win those fights. That absolutely doesn't mean that it's the only one.

17. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

Where is there cover in the camps?

That area should get a balance pass just like Malice since it contributes to people having to train too much just to finish the story.

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
  18. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

Every wall, tower and tree is a proper cover. And, again, that's only one solution among many others.

Also, you don't have to fight to get to your goal, even if that's not obvious for the one who never came to this place before.

Obviously, that's what courage is all about.

19. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Mixed feelings here.. but I know with my offline character I've spent weeks getting into the 60s and can get his avoidance so far up to 72.. and I have NO hope what so ever of doing the Grannus Collosus solo. Cover doesn't mean squat when you're being swarmed.

Have you been through the area she's talking about? There are no trees, walls or towers in the camps and you mostly have enemies on all sides. Spoiler for you.. once you enter.. the gates on both ends close and won't open until you kill everything inside. You do pretty much have to fight your way out. At least I've never heard of anyone being fast enough to run through the far gate before it shuts.

Tiina Onir, Numa and discipleofweb like this.
  20. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

There is a hole in the cliff which can provide some cover against some of your enemies. Also, this area is big and you can get out of range of some of the archers during a brief period of time, regularly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.