Experience point loss has removed the incentive to adventure and explore.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FrostII, Aug 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@Cryodacry
    What mobs are worth 7-11 k xp that you are referring to ?
    Not true.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  2. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

Level 120 lich Sharpshooters and Mages yeild 7k xp per kill and level 120 "Lich" (lich fighters) yield 11k xp. I do believe Elite Skellies in serpant spine mine give 7k each also along with the lich mage at the bottom. The dragon's also give something like 20k xp... and i never checked what the demon gave. but i am guessing 20ish.

As for R5 zones yes almost all of the NPC's yeild 1k xp. There might be a small pocket of 2k's or 800's but the meat of the zone is 1k. now don't forget that 5 Skull is not an accurate representation of the difficulty of the zone. R12 zones show up as 5 skull. So when i say a R5 zone i truely mean a R5 zone like Elisium Mines or Hillside fortress.... Though hillside fortress has 2 respawning spiders that give 2 or 3k xp and a single spawn lich mage that gives 3k xp. Lich mage is something like Level 90. The above statement holds true.

Zones like K'raw have 1k kobalds in the front and 3k kobalds in the back.

Either way still true.

Solazur and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  3. redfish

redfish Avatar

Just for reference, I just figured out the XP of most of the mobs in Boreas Colossus, where I'm currently grinding, and which is I believe a 5-tier scene. I left out the "boss mobs" in the scene which are high XP yield because they're pretty tough for me and I stay away from them.

On first spawn,
    3 ghosts - 800 xp/ea => 2,400 xp total
    8 ghosts - 1,250 xp/ea => 10,000 xp total
    1 ghost - 2,250 xp
    2 mimics - 2,000 xp/ea => 4,000 total
    2 mimics - 950 xp/ea => 1,900 total
    16 imps - 250 xp/ea => 4,000 total
    5 air elementals - 980 xp/ea => 4,900 total
    2 large brown bears - 135 xp/ea => 270 total
    5 slimes - 340/90/900/150/900 xp => 2,380 total
    1 gold/coral slime - ?
    1 bear patriarch - ?
    1 ghost corpion - ?
    1 elder dragon - ?

The re-spawn time, for imps at least, is 5 minutes. Initial re-spawn numbers are different for each mob. So, on initial re-spawn, only 9 of the imps come back, then slowly more come back until it reaches 16. But the first run through the scene totals 32,100 xp ignoring the ones marked with a ?, which would yield a player much more if he managed to kill them.

(Btw, nobody kill the dragon, please. He's old and just wants to ask people riddles!)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  4. redfish

redfish Avatar

Oh yes, I have to point out this is FPO, not Multiplayer, so I don't get the bonus.

Solazur likes this.
  5. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@Cryodacry When you say:
    where does the "Level 120" come from ?

6. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I pretty sure I am the very top level at base 117. But yes that is what I keep trying to point out. I still die, I can be killed in pvp, I am not god, and if the people saying I was were in my shoes, they would understand this.

Solazur likes this.
  7. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Do your PvP deaths count towards decay ?
    How long does it take you to earn back what you lose in decay in the rare event that death happens ?

8. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I don't think pvp is suppose to cause decay, but a while ago if it was chaotic feedback or torpid torment that got the killing blow, because it was damage from you, it was self death and did kick in decay. I dont know if that was fixed yet or not.

I lose about 800k when I die, I can get that back in about and hour at monkeys.

Solazur likes this.
  9. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@Cryodacry
    Mind sharing where you're finding these that re-spawn quickly ?

10. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

I think these are all bad. If someone is testing their limits against a mob or trying out new strategies why make them stop after the first failure? Or put another way, if someone is already finding an encounter challenging why make it more difficult for them?

Stundorn likes this.
  11. Katu

Katu Avatar

I agree.

But Im trying to meet at the middle groung. These are something that other games have implemented and some are from my head. I honestly dont even care anymore and I dont think devs do either. Thay havent even tried to come up with a good "meaningfull death" option, so I bet they ignore any ideas in future too.

12. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

sure, the fall is where i hunt liches It's an Open PVP zone so you'll have that risk. Most just do not want to bother with it because of that. In additional it keeps the mages out since mages really cannot hunt Liches unless they use Sun magic. Sadly life is pretty worthless because Banish undead hit's like a wet noodle.

Serpent spine mine has a 120 lich mage with a ton of 120 elite skellies.

The rise is on something like a 1 min respawn and the dragon spawns ever 5 min. it's packed with 100 - 120 elves / corpions / Skellitons

Boreolus colossus i guess is a new R8ish zone. I was Talking to Moh last night about that. I personally haven't tried it but i guess there is a Cabalist who can hit for 300 non crit fireballs with only 1000 hp.

The big thing about finding a place to hunt and what you hunt isn't about he xp per kill. It's about finding what you kill efficiently and can sustain killing with out running out of spawn.

Solazur likes this.
  13. Gamician

Gamician Avatar

It is great to see some of the highest level players here in this post. I believe the numbers they are providing are quite interesting and actually go to show how the "So Called" Decay System based on Death is not working as it should.

The biggest points here are:

1. It takes anywhere between 20 minutes to 1 hour to make up a loss of Experience Points irregardless of Adventure Level.

2. Those at the Higher Level are doing Major Bosses at 7,000 to 20,000 Experience Points, Solo to make up any Death Losses. While those at Mid-Level are doing level 5 MOB's at 50o to 1000 Experience Points. again Solo, to make up any Death Losses. An Alternative for the Mid-Level Players is to Party on Major Bosses increasing their Experience Points but also increasing their chance of Dying more frequently.

3. All in all, Higher Level Players die less often, make up Experience Point Loss Faster or at equal speed (RL Time), and by the very nature of being a High Level Player spend far more hours in game on any one day. Mid Level Players die more often, make up Experience Point Loss at a Slower Rate or at an equal speed (RL Time).

4. Because of the 24 hour Real Life Time reset on the maximum Exeperience Point Loss. The numbers may look something like this, High Level Player (HLP) loses 800,000 Experience points on First Death. It takes HLP 1 hour to make up 800.000 Experience Point Loss (Solo). HLP continues to play for another 6 hours RL Time. Total RL Time played 7 Hours. Total Additional Experience Points Gained in one RL Day = 4,800.000. Assumes no further deaths. 7 RL Hours was used as an average between 6 and 8 hours per day.

5. Because of the 24 hour Real Life Time reset on the maximum Exeperience Point Loss. The numbers may look something like this, Mid Level Player (MLP) loses 65,000 Experience Points on First Death. It take MLP 1 hour to make up 65,000 Experience Points. (Based on Doing Level 5 areas. (Solo). MLP continues to play for another 2 hours RL Time. Total RL Time played 3 hours. Total Additional Experience Points Gained in one RL Day = 130,000. Assumes no further deaths. 3 RL Hours was used as an average between 2 and 4 hours per day.

In summary, who feels like they are losing the most? The person who even though they are losing an hour of their time is still making enough Experience Points even after one death to take many of the skills in any skill tree up to 100? OR The person who loses one hour of there time and only makes enough in their remaining time to push a skill 1 or 2 Skill Points. (Above 60)? Who feels the most pain and who is supposed to feel the most pain? Everyone loves percentages especially Chris, so how about this. The HLP loses approximately 15% of their total potential Experience Point Gain. The MLP loses approximately 33% of their potential Experience Point Gain.

I know some people will say that the difference is bacause HLP play more and therefore should be gaining more. That is totally correct. I an mot trying to belittle any thing that HLP have accomplished. More Power to them and congratulations. The point I am trying to make is that we arrive right back at the Original Posters Comments. The Death Penalty, Experience Loss System negatively impacts the MLP far more than the HLP. When MLP, mostly those who can only play 1 -2 hours per day suspend playing because the penalty exceeds their Playing time. When MLP who partied to participate in group hunts can no longer do so because of the Experience Loss Penalty. It is then that the system has left the rails. This game needs every player and playing style it can get to succeed. Anytime, anyone from Portalarium fixates themselves on any one or two playing styles or game mechanic it is called not seeing the Forest for the Trees. Right now, in my opinion there is way to much concentration on individual trees and the Forest be Damned.

14. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@Mac2 Thank you for your honesty in this conversation.
    I have one more question:
    How often do you die outside of PvP ?

Mac2 likes this.
  15. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

It does happen, but not often depending on what I am doing. I would guess at like 3-5 times a month. Now, when persistence started, since I knew decay was going to be coming sometime, I practiced right off the bat at not dying. I made it about a month before my first death. This was made easier due to pre persistence knowledge as compared to someone who does not know what to expect in certain zones, as well knowing when to run, just ask lady cind how many times she heard me say RUN CIND RUN, as she would see me hightailing outta there LOL.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  16. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

This one is incorrect. Sara Dreygon and I are currently number 3 and 4th highest adventure level 116/114 and we always travel in groups. The highest areas for exp gains are not bosses. You would only do bosses for higher chance of rare drops or specific items needed to craft. The spawn timers are so high on bosses they are essentially worthless for exp. Your assumptions on solo experience rates are also incorrect you can easily replicate the same higher experience gains with large groups of players that actually know what they are doing.

Back on topic it doesn't matter if you take 1 min or 4 hours from a player with decay you are still taking their real life away. That is time that is now subtracted from my life to redo the same thing again. I am very happy to allow optional decay for any player that wants that experience of having their real life taken away from them. No problem have a toggle, you can take away hours of your life and I will toggle it off with 95%+ of other players that would care to keep our real lives to ourselves. Down with the DEATH TAX!

17. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

So want penalty would you accept? Caps? You wouldn't be top 3 or 4 but maybe one of 100 max capped players?

Schneider DragonFang likes this.
  18. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

I don't want any penalty,cap, or limits thanks. There is already a progressively more expensive skill gain based system in the game. It is physically impossible to get more then 1 skill to over 200 in less then 5 years.

19. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

all the time you "waste" on this game takes time from your real life or any other game for that matter. How this could possibly warrant a cakewalk game with 0 excitement I seriously cant comprehend. Would you want free +15 gear when you start aswell because lets face it crafting that gear takes a bajillion more hours from your life than that silly death decay.

Im quite happy this game takes hours away from my otherswise mundane life.

20. idaniod

idaniod Avatar

" Experience point loss has removed the incentive to adventure and explore. "

To me... facing a loss when dying enhances my gaming experience. I do not consider it a penalty.

If anything, it makes me feel more immersed - and makes me be more cautious when exploring and adventuring.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.